Hornby announce the SR Cattle wagon

Garethp8873

The Facebook post by Hornby today only says they are on their way, to me that says they are at least just past the sitting in a container on a Chinese dockside stage but still a few weeks off yet unless a small consignment have been airlifted in for Warley.

According to http://www.Hornby.com and if you click 'new arrivals' the cattle wagons are available now at the recommended retail price of £21.99 post free. If you only want one this is cheaper than the discounted price at mail order shops where you need to add £4 for post and packing. Not available yet at Hattons and Rails.

According to http://www.Hornby.com and if you click 'new arrivals' the cattle wagons are available now at the recommended retail price of £21.99 post free. If you only want one this is cheaper than the discounted price at mail order shops where you need to add £4 for post and packing. Not available yet at Hattons and Rails.

Thats for orders over £30.00.

I've just realised that by pre-ordering R6737 and R6737A from Hornby when they were announced it's cost me another £9

Pre-orders can only have 1 item per order and so these are under the £30 for free postage.

So that's  £4.48 (£4.98-10% club discount) postage on each one.

If i order them both now from the web site i'd get them on the same order and free postage.

Won't make that mistake again.

Jim

Edited by JimHearne
  • Like 1

I've just realised that by pre-ordering R6737 and R6737A from Hornby when they were announced it's cost me another £9

Pre-orders can only have 1 item per order and so these are under the £30 for free postage.

So that's  £4.48 (£4.98-10% club discount) postage on each one.

If i order them both now from the web site i'd get them on the same order and free postage.

Won't make that mistake again.

Jim

If there is a supply shortage you may not get one at all if you do not pre-order. I think there will be enough to go round this time so I am going to wait until they are generally available. I look forward to seeing pictures of the cattle wagons on members' layouts.

• RMweb Gold

Ordering through Hattons now :)

The price has gone up from their original 18 sheets.It will be interesting to see what the trade at Warley pop them out at ,if they have them of course.

I have just ordered my two through Hattons although their price went up from £18 for pre-orders yesterday to £19.79 today. With £4 postage only 40p cheaper than Hornby at the recommended retail price but post free. I have asked Hattons to send them by Royal Mail and not by any other courier as I had problems in the past. Not available yet at Rails.

I have only ordered one Southern and one British Railways wagon as the cattle docks at Swanage and Corfe Castle could only take one cattle wagon. I have not got any photographs of cattle wagons there so I don't even know if they used southern cattle wagons.

I have just ordered my two through Hattons although their price went up from £18 for pre-orders yesterday to £19.79 today. With £4 postage only 40p cheaper than Hornby at the recommended retail price but post free. I have asked Hattons to send them by Royal Mail and not by any other courier as I had problems in the past. Not available yet at Rails.

I have only ordered one Southern and one British Railways wagon as the cattle docks at Swanage and Corfe Castle could only take one cattle wagon. I have not got any photographs of cattle wagons there so I don't even know if they used southern cattle wagons.

Cattle wagons were common user vehicles throughout the currency of both versions - so anything could have turned up !

Just to let you know, we got just a few of each left at just under £17 (plus postage I should add) here.

I think we are getting to the position where it is cheaper to buy models from your local shop than it is from Hattons. One of the staff at the Swanage station shop said that the shop had not ordered any because Hornby had told them that they had to be members of the Hornby club so I had the choice of ordering one from Hattons or Hornby or travelling twenty miles to my nearest shop. I think they may have stopped selling Hornby because most of the items for sale seem to be Bachmann. I might buy another one at the New Forest Open Day at Brockenhurst on Sunday if there are any cheaper ones available.

I think we are getting to the position where it is cheaper to buy models from your local shop than it is from Hattons. One of the staff at the Swanage station shop said that the shop had not ordered any because Hornby had told them that they had to be members of the Hornby club so I had the choice of ordering one from Hattons or Hornby or travelling twenty miles to my nearest shop. I think they may have stopped selling Hornby because most of the items for sale seem to be Bachmann. I might buy another one at the New Forest Open Day at Brockenhurst on Sunday if there are any cheaper ones available.

it'll be interesting to see what prices are like at Warley ........................ !!?! ................................

• RMweb Gold

Picked up one of each from Alton Model Centre today and I am delighted with them, they are stunningly good models and make the other cattle wagons in my collection look very clunky. I will definitely be getting some more next week, I cannot see them staying at the same price next time round.

all the best

Godfrey

Edited by Godfrey Glyn
  • Like 2

Thank you. They were not available yet at Rails yesterday so I ordered two from Hattons in case there was a supply shortage. Even if they go up in price they are still good value for money. It will be interesting to see what happens about the price. The next batch could be more expensive or they could end up as Hattons bargains this time next year. Judging by this year's wish list poll it looks like the demand for new goods wagons is lower than the demand for new locomotives. I will see how long it is before Hattons have less than ten in stock.

Right now I've calmed down after my froth and freakout over this lil' beauties, I have to say that the Maunsell and Bulleid Cattle wagons are some of the best examples of rolling stock on my layout at the moment in time.

Hornby have delivered one of the best wagons I have ever seen on the RTR market for a long time. I await the SR Maunsell liveried examples with much anticipation... Congratulations Hornby on delivering a fine product :)

I wasn't going to buy any cattle wagons at all, but those photos Gareth posted show what superb models they are. I have a pending order on Hattons' site, and just added two of these Hornby wagons to the list!

I wasn't going to buy any cattle wagons at all, but those photos Gareth posted show what superb models they are. I have a pending order on Hattons' site, and just added two of these Hornby wagons to the list!

Ironically today was when they were announced. It has been well worth the SRman. They are little minature artworks and I couldn't be more happy with them...!!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The two BR ones have arrived this morning.  Very impressed by them so much so that I will probably jettison the Oxford Rail one I have as there is something on that which is wrong and I can't put my finger on it.