Hornby announce the SR Cattle wagon

Garethp8873

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Not quite a direct swap as the Maunsell diagram 1529 wagons will be in the pre 1936 larger SR lettered livery.

I also reiterate again that in both the 2017 catalogue and on their website (and it would appear the information sent to retailers)  Hornby have transposed the diagram numbers and are showing the image of the liveried Maunsell diagram 1529 truck under a diagram 1530 heading and visa versa with the BR liveried Bullied diagram 1530 truck under a diagram 1529 heading.

I only saw the final version of the catalogue for the first time last week so was too late to get it corrected, but hopefully they will amend the website soon.

Not quite a direct swap as the Maunsell diagram 1529 wagons will be in the pre 1936 larger SR lettered livery.

........ no doubt a few 1529s did receive the post '36 or - even smaller - wartime lettering, so Hornby have a few options to explore yet ............... I feel my cattle traffic's going to grossly out of proportion to reality ! ( QUICK ! .... INVOKE RULE 1 !! ) 

• RMweb Gold

As most wagons were not often repainted the pre 1936 style livery hung around a long time, so you will be ok mixing and matching with lqater style livery examples.

I have a feeling that different parts of the Southern used different shades of paint to do the wagons.  Must admit that it had puzzled me quite a lot why Hornby's box vans were paler than Bachmann's.  Just spotted the reference that I was looking for in "Railway Liveries - Southern Railway" by Brian Haresnape ISBN 071101203 (first published 1982 reprinted 1983 by Ian Allan Ltd.).  It says (on page 27):

"The basic livery for SR goods rolling stock after the grouping was dark brown, based upon the LSWR scheme, but evidence suggests that existing stocks of brown carriage paint from the LBSCR and possibly elsewhere were also used up.  (The LBSCR carriage paint was a more rich reddish brown; the LSWR shade was more like bitter chocolate.)"

Elsewhere in the book it discusses such matters as paint being affected by sunlight and other environmental factors.

• RMweb Gold

Perfect, just the livery I have been waiting for :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have a feeling that different parts of the Southern used different shades of paint to do the wagons.  Must admit that it had puzzled me quite a lot why Hornby's box vans were paler than Bachmann's.  Just spotted the reference that I was looking for in "Railway Liveries - Southern Railway" by Brian Haresnape ISBN 071101203 (first published 1982 reprinted 1983 by Ian Allan Ltd.).  It says (on page 27):

"The basic livery for SR goods rolling stock after the grouping was dark brown, based upon the LSWR scheme, but evidence suggests that existing stocks of brown carriage paint from the LBSCR and possibly elsewhere were also used up.  (The LBSCR carriage paint was a more rich reddish brown; the LSWR shade was more like bitter chocolate.)"

Elsewhere in the book it discusses such matters as paint being affected by sunlight and other environmental factors.

Well, the cattle wagons do seem to be more-or-less the same brown as Bachmann's brakevans - and close to the sample patch in the old H.M.R.S. Livery Register .... so I think we can be happy that the 'bitter chocolate' message has been taken on board by both camps.

I seem to recall that Humbrol's first attempt at S.R. Goods Brown looked like it might actually have been some of that leftover milk-chocolate carriage paint ........... seriously, though, what Railway Company would stockpile gallons an' gallons of paint ?  -  No, surely at the time of Grouping ALL paint was mixed as required ( and could, of course vary SLIGHTLY from batch to batch ) so 'existing stocks' would have been of ingredients. My guess is that the difference between L.B.S.C.R. carriage paint and L.S.W.R./ S.R. Goods Brown would have been in the proportions of those ingredients used and any delay in standardising would have been due to a hold-up in getting the exact formulation out to all the paintshops involved.

I also reiterate again that in both the 2017 catalogue and on their website (and it would appear the information sent to retailers)  Hornby have transposed the diagram numbers and are showing the image of the liveried Maunsell diagram 1529 truck under a diagram 1530 heading and visa versa with the BR liveried Bullied diagram 1530 truck under a diagram 1529 heading.

I only saw the final version of the catalogue for the first time last week so was too late to get it corrected, but hopefully they will amend the website soon.

I am really confused (which is common enough).

Do I understand correctly that the earlier diagram is now in the earlier livery, i.e Mansell-built wagon in pre-1936 SR livery?

If so that is good news for me, though perhaps disappointing for those expecting a different variant/livery combination.

If my understanding is correct, I will most assuredly buy one. 

Or possibly 2 as the website suggests two consecutively numbered Dia.1529 wagons. 

• RMweb Gold

I am really confused (which is common enough).

Do I understand correctly that the earlier diagram is now in the earlier livery, i.e Mansell-built wagon in pre-1936 SR livery?

Yes, Maunsell built, pre-'36 large SR livery, two version with consecutive numbers.

e.g. http://www.derails.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=18_139&product_id=1609

Edited by 57xx

My friend has reverted his two BR Maunsell Cattle wagons back into SR liveries and are both looking good in pre-1936 SR liveries.

He is soon to start working on my two Maunsell examples and I am looking at one being done in pre-1936 lettering and the other in post-1936 livery. Can anyone say what are the lettering differences between a SR Cattle wagon in pre-1936 livery and post 1936 livery though please?

post-605-0-51888500-1485178359.jpeg

post-605-0-44215100-1485178365.jpeg

• Like 4

My friend has reverted his two BR Maunsell Cattle wagons back into SR liveries and are both looking good in pre-1936 SR liveries.

He is soon to start working on my two Maunsell examples and I am looking at one being done in pre-1936 lettering and the other in post-1936 livery. Can anyone say what are the lettering differences between a SR Cattle wagon in pre-1936 livery and post 1936 livery though please?

Apart from the number series, of course, the later livery would be as Hornby have applied it to the Bulleid wagons ...............  a few MIGHT have received even smaller lettering during the war ( probably without a full repaint though ! ).

Just spotted that your friend hasn't repainted the chassis - not that it shows much with the dark brown ! ........ as a general rule wagon solebars & headstocks were body colour - with black below - until British Railways days EXCEPT i) the LNER painted steel frames black, ii) during the war LMS Wolverton works ( only ) adopted black frames, iii) the GWR painted everything but the wheels in grey : many wagons were built by one Company for another during the war and were 'normally' turned out in the style of the builder rather than the owner - though in the owner's colours ( many open wagon bodies didn't get much paint at all ). OFFICIALLY, B.R. livery included black solebars & headstocks for all wagons - but there were plenty of exceptions !

Edited by Wickham Green

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The final SR Maunsell Cattle wagon, SR 53928 built by the Southern in March 1939 replicated in OO by a very good friend of mine...

Special thanks to Graham Muz for his advice on the post-36 lettering and solebar information. I am now looking forward to 53928 returning to the layout to join her fellow Bulleid and Maunsell sisters.

post-605-0-66570900-1489612817.jpeg

post-605-0-71031000-1489612822.jpeg

Edited by Garethp8873
  • Like 6

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Still due for next round of SR 1529/1530 versions in December?

Due "Oct - Dec 2017" according to the Derails site. Got my pre-order in yonks ago, they'll arrive when they arrive :)

• 1 month later...

Pre-1936 SR Maunsell Cattle wagons were in the Hornby display cabinets at Warley today. Like their SR Bulleid sisters, the SR liveried Maunsell examples look stunning as well.

On a plus note, I certainly did see several of the BR Maunsell examples on layouts at Warley today :)