Q6

NHY 581

But the Q6 Airfix project has the smokebox door handles on the wrong side of the engine. Surprised no one else noticed really... or at least mentioned it.

Ermmm, you haven't been paying attention. :wink_mini:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/105494-q6/page-7&do=findComment&comment=2183440

and  you didn't mention the lubricator drive on the wrong side.

p

A big box of plastic sprues. Lovely.

Isn't that the point.

I'm still fashioning all sorts of useful things from the left over sprues from my 1973 Airfix 4MT. Bring back the Bond DB5. Thats wot I say. The sprues from that kit were really useful.

P

• 4 weeks later...
On 29/02/2016 at 20:09, Axlebox said:

I swear there was a Hornby Q6 (ex works by the look of it) on shed at Blackgill...anyone get a photograph?

Luckily I had my Digi-box with me as I was walking the dog near the shed. Managed to snap this before anyone saw me. Looks like I even managed to catch Bob Beserker (the shed labourer) stepping back in amazement at the cleanliness of 63443. He still hung on to his shovel though.

Bgill-MRS-2106-39-EditSm.jpg.b22b5b9f35cb379603bcc9a1e56e784c.jpg

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
Insert pic after outage.
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

That is tantalising. I'm assuming you got temporary custody of a pre production sample chaps and its behaved well to sit on the slightly broader gauge of BLACKGILL (IIRC) to pose for the photo.

I only hope the production run comes to fruition ok in view of current concerns at Hornby. Everything tightly crossed.

Regards,

John

On 29/02/2016 at 22:32, Brit70053 said:

I'm assuming you got temporary custody of a pre production sample chaps and its behaved well to sit on the slightly broader gauge of BLACKGILL (IIRC) to pose for the photo.

Thanks must go to very obliging folk on the Hornby (special thanks to Montana) stand. When a strange bloke turns up and suggests he could perhaps take away one of their showcase models for a while to take some photographs, there was no one more surprised than that strange bloke when Hornby agreed. In fact Hornby not only agreed but positively encouraged it. There was no supervision undertaken or restrictions placed on what I did with the model whilst it was in my care.

Thanks must also go to Eddy Ford for building such an evocative period representation of North East England in which the Q6 was placed.

Here's a rear view showing what we can expect.

Once again we see Blackgill MPDs resident labourer Bob, recoiling back in shock at seeing his reflection in the buffer and wishing he'd had a shave that morning. Suddenly realising what a good job the MPDs newly employed cleaner, George Black(Sooty to his marra's) has made of polishing the buffer heads he realises it might be time to attend improvement classes.

Bgill-MRS-2106-36-Edit.jpg.55c5d34eddb0b923b4446b221b744c23.jpg

And an elevated view of the Q6 models in their display case. An angle that may not have been seen before.

HorbyQ6-PreProd-02-Edit.jpg.f7699594c73ab85cd6edfbb09e32b03d.jpg

On 29/02/2016 at 22:56, The Black Hat said:

Cue more comments about this photo being deliberately posted on the night before the Bachmann annoucement. Hornby steal Bachmann headlines with photo of a stunning model, that people actually want, due for release within a few months.....

Certainly no intention of that on my part. 

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 15

Gees I hope that the production run comes on faster than expected.... Must admit that I am happy that Hornby has done the Q6.... and my kit built will still look just as good along side... if I ever refit the brake gear!... then again mine does have longer axles and would be able to run on Blackgill! Now can we twist any arms to get them to do 20t NER hoppers to go with them! 

• Like 2

On 01/03/2016 at 15:50, pete55 said:

Porcy, don't suppose you managed to measure the driving axle diameter?!

Pete

Apologies Pete,

I think dismantling it for an engineering report may have been a step too far, even for the Hornby folk. Although as I said earlier they were very obliging. If only I'd thought to ask. :sad_mini2:

Wheel construction appears to be identical to the K1 so I assume follows standard modern Hornby practice. I suspect the axle diameter is 3mm but until we get out hands on one  (again)?

Bgill-MRS-2106-01-_01EditWhl.jpg.5ccc423b03f7de2d9c46caf1fcaa26cd.jpg

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 11

Those wheels do look pretty good. One thing the Bradwell kit does have over the Hornby version and that is the size of the big end and rods. I know this is manufacturers limits as the rods on the full size are big IE wide. There are manufacturing tolerances and method which doesn't allow Hornby to thicken up the rods. SO I will still have a couple once they come out! It is just interesting to compare RTR to the hi fi kits that are around. 

Apologies Pete,

I think dismantling it for an engineering report may have been a step too far, even for the Hornby folk. Although as I said earlier they were very obliging. If only I'd thought to ask. :sad_mini2:

Wheel construction appears to be identical to the K1 so I assume follows standard modern Hornby practice. I suspect the axle diameter is 3mm but until we get out hands on one  (again)?

attachicon.gifBgill-MRS-2106-01-_01EditWhl.jpg

P

Thanks for that.....know the K1 is 3mm, but then they do the J50 on 2mm like the J15. Just have to wait and see!!

Those wheels do look pretty good. One thing the Bradwell kit does have over the Hornby version and that is the size of the big end and rods. I know this is manufacturers limits as the rods on the full size are big IE wide. There are manufacturing tolerances and method which doesn't allow Hornby to thicken up the rods. SO I will still have a couple once they come out! It is just interesting to compare RTR to the hi fi kits that are around. 

Maybe Dave could be persuaded do a version of his chassis for this!

The Nim.

Horsetan,  I have to agree. I don't think Dave would do it (please prove me wrong!) He hasn't done the WD which he has as a full kit. The idea of a P4 fold up chassis is rather nice underneath! The tender could do with a few "improvements" to the thickness of the sides. 

As per the previous experience that Dave had with the WD as soon as the RTR version came out his sales of the kit increased! At 160quid +wheels+motor+skills to build it compared to the Hornby RTR at 118.99 all in ready to run. It will be interesting to hear. 

No doubt Blackgill would be heaving with them in short order! 

Horsetan,  I have to agree. I don't think Dave would do it (please prove me wrong!) He hasn't done the WD which he has as a full kit. The idea of a P4 fold up chassis is rather nice underneath! The tender could do with a few "improvements" to the thickness of the sides. 

I (and mates) have always found Mr Bradwell very amenable when it comes to supplying etched parts and components but with regard to Q6 I suspect it's viability cost wise for both vendor & purchaser will come down to whether all the components required are etched on a single or maybe two sheets. You could help out here Horse by checking your kit and reporting back.

I currently have a mates un-built Bradwell  K1 sitting next to me to see what etches from that particular kit will be required for a Hornby K1 conversion. I'd originally thought about adapting the L1 chassis but that looks like a no go.

I'm currently looking at "customising" a 52F EM/P4  chassis designed for the Alexander models Q6 to suit my own P4 preferences but for anyone requiring a compensated chassis using Markit/Romford style wheels it looks like an excellent choice that will be simple to build.

I suspect for anybody contemplating an EM conversion, the first choice will be to pull out the wheels on the axles and I'll bet Alan Gibson will have a conversion kit out not long after Hornby has the loco on general release.

As you can see below I've made a start modding the 52F Chassis.

post-508-0-30480900-1456935044.jpg

There may be another alternative to the chassis conundrum if Arthur K still has the drawings available for the Chivers Kit Chassis. Arthur may consider offering it as part of his North Eastern Models Range?

P

• Like 1

I agree Porcy, Mr Bradwell is a nice guy. I have purchased from him a number of times and still hold the most unusual place to send a kit.... Kokopo PNG! I am now on my 4th kit... well the J26 has been taking years to build as I keep getting distracted.... Any how he is a nice guy and at our last discussion he he was upgrading the J26/27 chassis to be the same fold out hornblock arrangement as the Q6. I happened to be the first person he had asked how the arrangement worked! Any how to see more  P4/EM Q6's running around is always nice! 

Interested to see your progress on the Q6 Porcy.