Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

Sutton's Locomotive Works class 24

Dan Griffin

Which is closest to D5061 - 081, 063 or one of the other models still available?

Both 24063 and 24081 have the wrong underframe tanks for 061. Also the end doors on both blue ones are welded up, whereas 061 still had the doors fitted. Easiest route is to get a green one repainted, but you need to be careful in regards to the underframe side cladding (don't know the correct term) as this was removed at some point too. Also the body side footsteps were plated over whilst in blue. Works plates were below side cab windows on 61, on others including 081 they were fitted to cab doors.

Both 24063 and 24081 have the wrong underframe tanks for 061. Also the end doors on both blue ones are welded up, whereas 061 still had the doors fitted. Easiest route is to get a green one repainted, but you need to be careful in regards to the underframe side cladding (don't know the correct term) as this was removed at some point too. Also the body side footsteps were plated over whilst in blue. Works plates were below side cab windows on 61, on others including 081 they were fitted to cab doors.

Brilliant, thanks. How could I not think of the nose end doors being different. Looks like my 081 has to go the journey, wonder if slw will do me a swap for a green one (doubt it!).

Leaves me a choice between D5000 and D5016 - though 016 has an extra grille and different axleboxes.

Edited by Norm81

Posted on SLW's Facebook page:

RECOGNITION IN Hornby YEARBOOK

Look out for Hornby Magazine's 2016 Yearbook, now on sale in newsagents. The reason for this plug? Well, it contains plenty of complimentary comments about our SLW Class 24, including listing it as one of the editor's top 20 products of the past year. We hope to make 2017 just as exciting if all our hard work pays off. 

The last few months have been notable for (what I, personally, would call over-optimistic) 2017/8 range announcements by several players in the model railway market who continue to 'sell the dream'... but actually serve only to stifle real modelling by creating expectation that stretches the definition of that word to its limits. Many of these firms have a massive backlog of promises and over headline commitments still to fulfill, yet the urge to make further announcements seems as strong as ever. The reputational damage and frustration this causes must be immense, don't you agree?

A few people (who have still not figured out how we work) have contacted us for news of our future programme. Minnows by comparison, we are in absolutely no rush to stake any claims, and are happy to tinker around in the shadows trying to innovate and do a proper job. We've got plenty enough to keep us busy should sales of the Class 24 remain bouyant and the last thing we want to do is over-promise and under-deliver on people's expectations.

• Like 2

Reading that it looks like it might be a while yet till we hear of anything new coming our way.

Maybe, but this statement "We've got plenty enough to keep us busy should sales of the Class 24 remain bouyant" could mean more class 24 releases to keep them busy?

Posted on SLW's Facebook page:

RECOGNITION IN Hornby YEARBOOK

Look out for Hornby Magazine's 2016 Yearbook, now on sale in newsagents. The reason for this plug? Well, it contains plenty of complimentary comments about our SLW Class 24, including listing it as one of the editor's top 20 products of the past year. We hope to make 2017 just as exciting if all our hard work pays off. 

The last few months have been notable for (what I, personally, would call over-optimistic) 2017/8 range announcements by several players in the model railway market who continue to 'sell the dream'... but actually serve only to stifle real modelling by creating expectation that stretches the definition of that word to its limits. Many of these firms have a massive backlog of promises and over headline commitments still to fulfill, yet the urge to make further announcements seems as strong as ever. The reputational damage and frustration this causes must be immense, don't you agree?

A few people (who have still not figured out how we work) have contacted us for news of our future programme. Minnows by comparison, we are in absolutely no rush to stake any claims, and are happy to tinker around in the shadows trying to innovate and do a proper job. We've got plenty enough to keep us busy should sales of the Class 24 remain bouyant and the last thing we want to do is over-promise and under-deliver on people's expectations.

More sniping at others from SLW. It is just me that thinks that's really poor form from an RTR manufacturer? Perhaps if they concerned themselves more with what they're doing rather than what others are doing they might have done a bit better with certain aspects of their near miss class 24. 

• RMweb Gold

More sniping at others from SLW. It is just me that thinks that's really poor form from an RTR manufacturer? Perhaps if they concerned themselves more with what they're doing rather than what others are doing they might have done a bit better with certain aspects of their near miss class 24.

You are having a laugh I assume or you work for a competitor? If you think that is sniping you should have worked in some of the places I have. SLW are rightly proud of the way they operate.

The SLW Class 24 is far from a miss. Yes some have complained about the grills, but I and many others are happy with them.

I will be buying more.

Roy

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Well it does say 2017 could be exciting. I suppose that's 11 3/4 months! The reference to the Hornby yearbook is wrong though, I think it's the Jan edition of the Hornby Mag he refers to . I don't think it's sniping. He's got a point and making it.

You are having a laugh I assume or you work for a competitor? If you think that is sniping you should have worked in some of the places I have. SLW are rightly proud of the way they operate.

The SLW Class 24 is far from a miss. Yes some have complained about the grills, but I and many others are happy with them.

Neither thanks. Sorry I think it's really poor to critises your competitors in public and you don't see the other RTR manfacturers doing it. I'm certain there's lots and lots that that get's said behind closed doors but that sort of stuff shouldn't venture out into 'press releases'. SLW should be proud of what they've done but they could act with a bit more professionalism at times.

Sorry but not everyone thinks that the SLW class 24 is the best thing since sliced bread. It's very, very good but not it's not perfect. Which is a shame because it could have been.

Sorry I think it's really poor to critises your competitors in public 

Why? No-one has been named and its not criticism its fact. Lots of announcements over the years and lots of stuff cancelled.

• Like 1

Hahaha, comedy Gold! Near Miss! How very true!

If only the slw 24 was half as good as the diesels from Bachmann, their fabulous detail, accurate in even the most subtle way. You wouldn't find an inaccurate etched grille on their models.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Neither thanks. Sorry I think it's really poor to critises your competitors in public and you don't see the other RTR manfacturers doing it. I'm certain there's lots and lots that that get's said behind closed doors but that sort of stuff shouldn't venture out into 'press releases'. SLW should be proud of what they've done but they could act with a bit more professionalism at times.

Sorry but not everyone thinks that the SLW class 24 is the best thing since sliced bread. It's very, very good but not it's not perfect. Which is a shame because it could have been.

It's marketing and SLW are emphasising their unique selling point, doing so by contrasting their approach to others and showing that they believe they know what their customers want. Smaller companies do it often, they have to in order survive. Look at Keen Systems showing RTR couplings from X and then how the stock looks better with theirs. What is the difference? Are they "sniping" at X?

Do you own one? I assume not. Their is little of note wrong. The grills look much better in the flesh and SLW have stated making them finer results in a loco that is too delicate. How honest is that?

Roy

I don't disagree, although what I would say is that PCB could be used for almost anything, not just small Sulzers. It has all the connections needed for most locos. SLW may have been clever and designed something that can be used for lots of classes.

Roy

Yes the design started out as a replacement for Heljan PCBs so was designed for multiple classes

Is it proffesional to announce your doing models and have no capability of producing them within a five year time frame? That's spoiling it for others, who could have produced and brought to market by now some of these much delayed models...

I own a SLW class 24.... it is clearly the best detailed and best sounding model I have.... I have about 140 rtr diesels all from the main players and all acquired within the last 12 years....

For a first release to market, the class 24 set new standards.... that's something worth celebrating and supporting.....

• RMweb Gold

Will they / would they remake any of the models that have sold out

As I would like a green with yellow panel

My personal opinion is that no, they will not remake any of the models issued to date. That is not to say, however, that there will not be more Class 24s in the liveries issued so far, I would suggest they will be different numbers and have subtle detail differences. After all, if more Class 24s are issued it would be hard to avoid GSYP and Rail Blue.

Roy

Yes the design started out as a replacement for Heljan PCBs so was designed for multiple classes

Yes that's makes sense, being a left over from the Class 33 debacle perhaps............. and some 33's have headlights...........and Sulzer PU's ............ so perhaps the definitive model of a Class 33 is still on the cards............

• Like 1

What one must understand whether one is a customer or someone who reads this thread to keep up to date on progress is that SLW having produced such a top class model are in a very unique situation and in a position to market any forthcoming models at their own pace. As to what the mainstream manufacturers are going to produce should not really affect any plans that are in the pipeline. Whatever is produced is going to be in a totally different league in all aspects and more than likely is available from another manufacturer already. As long as the model is a mainstream locomotive which has high levels of appeal and can be produced in varying liveries etc then they are going to get a return on their investment. By cleaver marketing and very high engineering standards SLW are producing a 'niche' product and although this does not mean that there are no financial  risks involved it is a good position to be in. 

I most certainly feel that there is no sniping or criticising of other manufacturers intended but a clear intention to make sure that whatever model is announced can be produced in a realistic time scale and at a standard that it's customers now expect. 

• Like 2