Sutton's Locomotive Works class 24

Dan Griffin

At least 6 red blue ones on E Bay, differing prices at last look cheapest still not found a home.  Saturation of market ?  Looks like some are expecting a decision soon.Personally prefer the nearest  blue challenger

Edited by brittannia

Numbers are slightly larger and whiter than the SLW numbers but, hopefully, after a good coat of grime, they won't look too different when the locos are double heading...

John

Way to go John. (as they say somewhere).

post-508-0-22441400-1499111185.jpg

To my eye the original numbering is a tad on the small side.

Looks like original positioning and spacing could vary when in green

11608263843_d4a22ccd62_c.jpgThornaby 51L. by Keith Long, on Flickr

Reading your earlier comment about 109 and removed  MU  paraphernalia, are you modelling it in Scottish condition? A bit like this.

4313883015_32d83dd9a3_b.jpg24109 at Stranraer - 22nd July, 1975 by Arnie Furniss, on Flickr

P

• Like 6

Reading your earlier comment about 109 and removed  MU  paraphernalia, are you modelling it in Scottish condition? A bit like this.

Cheers Porcy.  No, I'm doing it as Tyne Docker - in the book 'The Steaming Sixties 1 A North East Redoubt' there is a photo of 09 (leading) and 07 on an iron ore train at Tyne Dock in 1967.

Looking at the photo of 24109, I fear I may have got the terminology wrong - 09 was missing the cable that loops down and round either side of the right hand buffer with the orange plugs - I assumed this was an MU cable, I am most probably wrong...

See from your model photo that I've also not modified the roof above the plated over grill, just going to have to live with it on 07, I'm not going to redo the weathering now :)

Edited by johndon

Cheers Porcy.  No, I'm doing it as Tyne Docker - in the book 'The Steaming Sixties 1 A North East Redoubt' there is a photo of 09 (leading) and 07 on an iron ore train at Tyne Dock in 1967.

Looking at the photo of 24109, I fear I may have got the terminology wrong - 09 was missing the cable that loops down and round either side of the right hand buffer with the orange plugs - I assumed this was an MU cable, I am most probably wrong...

Hmmmm. I'm not familiar with that book or photo. 109 is a bit of an enigma to me. I've got some excellent but undated negs of it shunting the Ponte Pick up but it's pre Iron Ore days and they show the jumper intact at both ends. I suspect the negs are probably from the same strip as this?

https://flic.kr/p/amKHEa

I reckon that photograph was taken late 65 early 66 as 109 was photographed in Central Station freshly painted with Derby squared tops to the SYP on the 25th August 1966. 

Your'e correct with the identity of the multiple operation cable so the other end must have had it fitted, or both loco's would need to be manned which I think would be doubtful as there would be other locos available to work the ores. The August 66 pic appears to show the cable (but not it's socket) missing from the No. 2 (boiler end). Which end is leading in the phot in the book?

Looks like it's one for the Prototype for everything file.

See from your model photo that I've also not modified the roof above the plated over grill, just going to have to live with it on 07, I'm not going to redo the weathering now :)

I just clagged in the blanks with some solvent and slapped on some cellulose stopper. Still had to smooth it all off when I took the phot. There's still plenty to do elsewhere before final painting and weathering and that will not start before I've completed the body mods to the Stella Gill 08.

P

At least 6 red blue ones on E Bay, differing prices at last look cheapest still not found a home. Saturation of market ? Looks like some are expecting a decision soon.Personally prefer the nearest blue challenger

We got shot of ours a few weeks ago and got a decent trade in @ Hattons with some rtc coaches too. There was a chap from Bachmann there who quipped they would be good for his collection, afaik they never appeared on the Hattons second hand section!

Edited by jessy1692

Here's a shot of my model of D5107 with the original 'out of the box' numbers and D5109 with completely new numbers from Modelmaster and I'm happy that the difference isn't really noticeable...

DSC01813.jpg

John

• Like 11

Here's a shot of my model of D5107 with the original 'out of the box' numbers and D5109 with completely new numbers from Modelmaster and I'm happy that the difference isn't really noticeable...

They look great John.

• 2 weeks later...

Which one of these models would be suitable for class 24023? (In its later years in BR blue)

Only 24091 is current available in Blue. It would do but you would need the boiler water tanks that 24023 carried to the end.

• RMweb Premium

If my missus finds out I have voted to get a model loco made, she will go nuclear.....

oh dear.

Whilst doing a little light dusting on Saturday, she dislodged the roof of a Metcalfe station building and discovered my SLW fund.

'What is thirty quid hiding in here for?'

'Well dear, it's, er.., like this, you see, um, aah..'

The ensuing radio silence has been nice, though.

• RMweb Gold

oh dear.

Whilst doing a little light dusting on Saturday, she dislodged the roof of a Metcalfe station building and discovered my SLW fund.

'What is thirty quid hiding in here for?'

'Well dear, it's, er.., like this, you see, um, aah..'

The ensuing radio silence has been nice, though.

When it arrives...In its tin box,do what I did.....say..."It's a tin of biscuits". What sleight of hand you choose subsequently,I leave to your inventiveness...

• RMweb Gold

When it arrives...In its tin box,do what I did.....say..."It's a tin of biscuits". What sleight of hand you choose subsequently,I leave to your inventiveness...

I wonder if there's an opportunity here that Suttons have overlooked.   If they could make sure there was enough room at the top of the tin for them to include layer of biscuits we could safely display the contents to the household authorities in the event of an interrogation on delivery.   :jester:

Luckily SWMBO doesn't appreciate the cost of a sound fitted ultimate class 24....

Martin    

checking over shoulder while typing

Edited by mcowgill

I wonder if there's an opportunity here that Suttons have overlooked.   If they could make sure there was enough room at the top of the tin for them to include layer of biscuits we could safely display the contents to the household authorities in the event of an interrogation on delivery.   :jester:

Luckily SWMBO doesn't appreciate the cost of a sound fitted ultimate class 24....

Martin    

checking over shoulder while typing

I'm banking on the very same fact for when I order one!! .... its just a loco dear!! ... ;)

Hi Nick.

Some did, but I have only seen photos of the later ones with the headcode box carrying them, Very probably Scottish allocations.

848150_1000.jpg

I haven't seen any photos of the headcode disc class 24s carrying snowplows though. That doesn't men it didn't happen, but just I haven't seen it.

Perhaps someone who operated them might be able add some light on the situation, perhaps the initial batch did not have mounts for them.

Jamie

Edited by Jamiel

I haven't seen any photos of the headcode disc class 24s carrying snowplows though. That doesn't men it didn't happen, but just I haven't seen it.

Perhaps someone who operated them might be able add some light on the situation, perhaps the initial batch did not have mounts for them.

Thanks Jamie,

I would also be interested to know if any disc class 24's carried ploughs, anyone?

Thanks Jamie,

I would also be interested to know if any disc class 24's carried ploughs, anyone?

D5077 did, up util 1971 at least. See photo in link below. Also the Derby Sulzer page for the same loco here. http://www.derbysulzers.com/24077.html

https://flic.kr/p/bF9SZ5

Another one was D5027/24027. See the Derby Sulzer website again for photos.  http://www.derbysulzers.com/24027.html

Those are the only two I've come across to date.

Paul J.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Think only the Highland Baby Sulzer batch (5114-32) had snow plough fittings originally, but 3 of these were withdrawn between 1968-72, and I suspect the spare bogies found their way to some other locos eg 5027, 5077, 5134 & 5135. Ive Not seen any others fitted with ploughs.