Sutton's Locomotive Works class 24

Dan Griffin

The only two early disk 24's I've found with miniature ploughs are D5027/24027 and D5077, as mentioned in an earlier post. I haven't found any others with even the hint of the required plough brackets on the buffer beams, although I haven't got photos of all the locos between D5000-113 to be able to definitively say they were the only two. Of the remaining non Scottish members of the class, D5134-7 all carried miniature ploughs at some point in their lives. I haven't found any more as yet.

Just as an aside on the modelling front, the Shenston Road/Eastwell Ironstone fleet of SLW loco's has been growing over the months. Although this photo had appeared in the Shenston Road thread already, I thought you might like to see the livery variations that have been modeled so far,

"Crewe style" line up on Shenston road SP.  5000, D5033, 5025, D5087.

post-7146-0-61604800-1502441656_thumb.jpg

More photos of the loco's can be found on the Shenston Road thread here, http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/85490-on-shenston-road-24s-to-the-4/?p=2814613  or on the EM70's website in the June & July updates. http://www.emgauge70s.co.uk/model_omwb132.html     http://www.emgauge70s.co.uk/model_omwb133.html

Paul J.

• Like 15

• 3 weeks later...

This  evening  I have been VERY  impressed..............................

I ordered a SLW  Class 24 (5017)  on Thursday last  and  it  duly arrived early  this  Saturday morning.

I did not  get  around to opening  the  parcel until the evening  ( Due  to  gardening  duties more or less  all day, must  admit that  unless there  is a  railway in  the  garden  I am  not  too enthusiastic about  gardening, and  there  is currently no  railway   although  I am  working  on it)

I feel  that  as a modeller for  more  years  than  I  care to remember   have never been as  impressed with  a smaller  scale  model ( N  00 etc) as  I am  with  the  24, currently  I am in the process of  layout  building in 00  again, and therefore  I have  only  got  a few  yards  of  track laid but  what is  there  includes a gradient, so I was  able to appreciate  the  quality of the running  sounds  which in my opinion far  surpass  anything else  I have  heard.   The  huge  variety of sounds is interesting as well  (eg boiler safety valve  release , and  Guard-Driver conversation to name  a couple)

Some  may  think the price is expensive, but I don't  think it is  when  compared with  some  other offerings which are becoming  available soon, when  the  sheer  quality of  the  SLW 24 is taken into consideration.

I wish  Philip Sutton the  best of  luck  with his  venture  and  look  forward  to  future  developmennts

Edited by Stevelewis
  • Like 1

Some  may  think the price is expensive, but I don't  think it is  when  compared with  some  other offerings

Not really expensive when you think a Bachmann loco is around £120 these days then add a sound decoder at around £110 which you have to fit yourself.

Not really expensive when you think a Bachmann loco is around £120 these days then add a sound decoder at around £110 which you have to fit yourself.

Quite  agree  Nick,  its   surprising  though  when  the SLW is mentioned in conversation, some  think they are  expensive,  note  that  Kernow's  SR Bullied 1-Co-Co-1 Diesel with sound is £20 more than  the  24

For what it is, it is worth every penny.

Expensive/inexpensive is often subjective and relative.

For me it is expensive as being out of work my budget is much lower (payment plan really helps here!). For others who might earn a decent wage, £260-330 (once you add sound, p4 wheels and other gubbins) might be relatively inexpensive compared to other items they might purchase.

As I only need two, having two on a payment plan paying what I can manage (total around the £600 mark) is affordable because of the spread out cost.

• Like 2

Not been an update on the slw facebook site for a while now. I wonder if we are getting near to any new releases yet?

Indeed, the last poll announcement was two months ago, also the SLW website has not been updated for some time now, i'm still confident that we will see another release in time for Christmas though. 

When  I  spoke  to  Philip Sutton  last  week when  ordering the 24  I asked the  question  re another  release in the  pipeline,  he  advised me  that  his policy  is  not  to make  early announcements   or any until   close on actual release. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just waiting for anything to appear. Don't care what livery as it will most probably get repainted, as did the one below to create 5081 GFYE and BR arrows, having a run around on Hornsey Broadway.

I have 24 063, fitted with P4 wheels and the full DCC sound package (including capacitors), available. (I presume that SLW could supply EM wheels, if asked.)

PM me if interested, and we can negotiate...

Edit: never run, never even removed from the display plinth.

Edited by Regularity

I have 24 063, fitted with P4 wheels and the full DCC sound package (including capacitors), available. (I presume that SLW could supply EM wheels, if asked.)

PM me if interested, and we can negotiate...

Edit: never run, never even removed from the display plinth.

Thanks for the offer Regularity, but my modelling period requires them to have connecting doors. I'll just have to wait until Phil brings the new ones out.

Paul J.

• 2 weeks later...

LATEST VOTING - FULLY UPDATED (October 25th)

Time has flown since we last updated the voting status in September. The latest figures are reproduced here and have been uploaded to the Sulzer Type 2 website current voting page at: www.sulzertype2.co.uk/page.php?p=vote-03b

It is pleasing to report the votes are still coming in thick and fast, with some sizeable double-digit increases, even though we thought things would have been slowing down by now.

There are no changes in the ranking but the big movers D (Research) and B (Two-tone green) have further extended their lead over the others, all of which have seen improvement to a lesser degree. Experiment just needs a final push over the line, so now is the time to eBay your old Bachmann limited editions...

We are absolutely convinced we can do a stunning job on Experiment, so let all your RTC collectors friends know that we just need the last few commitments to take it through to fruition... Now is the time to jump off the fence. 

Remember - if you need to be able to justify it to yourself - the former No. 24061 (as No. 97201) travelled widely in red/blue from 1980-1988, outlasting the rest of the class on BR and visiting numerous open days. It then saw use as a preserved locomotive, in the same colours, principally on the Midland Railway Centre and North York Moors Railway. 

Plus... it looks fantastic! You can also phone to place a vote as well as using the website.

post-7968-0-40195200-1508954873_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

post-1107-0-25992800-1508955618_thumb.jpgpost-1107-0-87477600-1508955633_thumb.jpg

My 24 weathered at Missenden last weekend - I have done a little more to it since.

If anyone is in the area I will be using it at the Cheltenham show on 28/29 October on my Dock Street Sidings layout.

Photos were kindly done by the course tutor Mick Bonwick.

Chris

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 5

LATEST VOTING - FULLY UPDATED (October 25th)

Time has flown since we last updated the voting status in September. The latest figures are reproduced here and have been uploaded to the Sulzer Type 2 website current voting page at: www.sulzertype2.co.uk/page.php?p=vote-03b

It is pleasing to report the votes are still coming in thick and fast, with some sizeable double-digit increases, even though we thought things would have been slowing down by now.

There are no changes in the ranking but the big movers D (Research) and B (Two-tone green) have further extended their lead over the others, all of which have seen improvement to a lesser degree. Experiment just needs a final push over the line, so now is the time to eBay your old Bachmann limited editions...

We are absolutely convinced we can do a stunning job on Experiment, so let all your RTC collectors friends know that we just need the last few commitments to take it through to fruition... Now is the time to jump off the fence. 

Remember - if you need to be able to justify it to yourself - the former No. 24061 (as No. 97201) travelled widely in red/blue from 1980-1988, outlasting the rest of the class on BR and visiting numerous open days. It then saw use as a preserved locomotive, in the same colours, principally on the Midland Railway Centre and North York Moors Railway. 

Plus... it looks fantastic! You can also phone to place a vote as well as using the website.

Looks as though it shouldn't be much longer before my RTC TC unit has some company  :D 

Looks as though it shouldn't be much longer before my RTC TC unit has some company  :D

Yes hopefully, GET VOTING FOR IT EVERYONE. As has been mentioned it travelled widely in RTC livery from 1980-1988.