Sutton's Locomotive Works class 24

Dan Griffin

Like Blue & Green? Some still available what's stopping you getting one in a normal useful livery? 

Only D5017 currently available in non-yellow panel livery, too early for my needs, and I don't fancy trying to add a yellow panel to a loco of this specification and price.  Blue is too late for my needs, although no blue livery examples are currently available to purchase.  In fact of the releases so far the only two in green with yellow panels have been Eastern region examples, not London Midland.

So no, there's nothing available from the range at the moment, hence my personal disappointment in a celebrity release

Blue is too late for my needs, although no blue livery examples are currently available to purchase. 

Still available: 

Cat No. 2404A Running number 24091 - NEW

Crewe-built production machine in late-1970s condition wearing, standard BR blue livery.

Production series body with plated-over front doors. This model also has newly tooled Class 25-style sandboxes. 

• RMweb Gold

Only D5017 currently available in non-yellow panel livery, too early for my needs, and I don't fancy trying to add a yellow panel to a loco of this specification and price.  Blue is too late for my needs, although no blue livery examples are currently available to purchase.  In fact of the releases so far the only two in green with yellow panels have been Eastern region examples, not London Midland.

So no, there's nothing available from the range at the moment, hence my personal disappointment in a celebrity release

I don't have a problem with you having a personal opinion, we all do. What I did find a bit off was your criticism ["Are modellers just obsessed with celebrities] of those of us that do want 97201 - which, of course, is our personal opinion.

Edit: And my 97201 order has been confirmed :-)

​Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

Experiment was always going to be a winner in the pole. I put my order in for a sound version and patted myself on the back that i didn't give in to my desire to buy the Bachmann version from the e-bay profiteers at £220+

When are you guys going turn your attention to the class 47 which is bound to be a winner despite the amount of Bachmann/Heljan poor efforts around....................That's of course if Hornby haven't got a update version coming out in the New year announcements for 2018/2019.

• RMweb Gold

I don't have a problem with you having a personal opinion, we all do. What I did find a bit off was your criticism ["Are modellers just obsessed with celebrities] of those of us that do want 97201 - which, of course, is our personal opinion.

Edit: And my 97201 order has been confirmed :-)

​Roy

Nothing to do with me but this is an open forum so !!!.  I'm curious as to why you would be personally offended by wombatofludham comments, is this the PC brigade, thou shall not say anything in case someone may be offended.

Me, I would not buy 97201, it does not appeal to me.

Mike

At what point in it's 7 year? career as a RTC loco did it carry the EXPERIMENT nameplates?

Good question! My research indicates that 97201 was given the name after a visit to Doncaster Works in 1979-1980 when it was first repainted into RTC red/blue. A photo here http://www.derbysulzers.com/5061.html shows the nameplate affixed inboard of the large bodyside grille on side where this grille is to the right.

A number of undated photos show the loco with no nameplate affixed on this or on the other side, suggesting that the nameplate(s) may not have always been attached.

However, I have found four photos from two events in 1985 which are most interesting. Photos taken on 6th July 1985 at Cardiff Canton open day definitely show the name affixed to the side described above but no name affixed on the other side. There are also pictures taken on 1st September 1985 (just 8 weeks later) at Coalville open day which show again just one nameplate affixed bit this time on the other side, i.e. on the side with the large grille to the left. Examination of the photos where no nameplate is attached show no trace of the former position, suggesting that the 'plate was never permanently affixed to either side of the locomotive. All this tends to suggest that there may never have been two nameplates, or that if there were the possibly one was either stolen, lost or damaged beyond use by mid-1985.

All pictures after September 1985 (and whilst the loco still in service with the RTC) seem to show the loco without 'plates on either side. A later picture (on the same website as above) shows a 'plate attached again to the side with the grille to the left, but this was taken in August 1991 at the Midland Railway Centre after the loco was sold to preservation. Shortly after that date the loco was repainted into RTC Red/Blue for the final time with the number 5061 added on the secondman's cabside; again with the nameplate affixed to the left and was exhibited at Cambridge station open day in September 1991.

So the short answer seems to be some time in 1980 (when newly painted in Red/Blue) to September 1985, but not necessarily all the time, and possibly not on both sides at the same time, unless anyone can prove otherwise, of course...

Kevin

Edited by apollo 079

Hmmmmm. The "unique" livery gets the vote. Surprised me as I felt certain one of the headcode versions would have romped it with none being produced to date. Shows how much I understand the model railway market.

It seems to me seven months were a long time to reach the 100% expressions of interest vote. Anybody else thought this?

Maybe the Bachmann "spoiler" put people of voting for a headcode version?

Maybe the Bachmann 24/25 has just fallen of people's radar with the SLW versions being more accurate?

This model also has newly tooled Class 25-style sandboxes. 

Makes me wonder if the rest of the Class 25 bits might be in the toolroom? Over to rumour control. :smile_mini2:

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 1

Hmmmmm. The "unique" livery gets the vote. Surprised me as I felt certain one of the headcode versions would have romped it with none being produced to date. Shows how much I understand the model railway market.

P

Hi Porcy,

If I read it correctly, the headcode box versions need a higher number of votes to get to 100%, due to the increased tooling costs for this version.

• RMweb Gold

Nothing to do with me but this is an open forum so !!!.  I'm curious as to why you would be personally offended by wombatofludham comments, is this the PC brigade, thou shall not say anything in case someone may be offended.

Me, I would not buy 97201, it does not appeal to me.

Mike

I didn't use the word offended and I was not. What annoyed me is the calling of those people who voted for 97201 as obsessive. I have a record on here of saying that I would prefer run-of-the-mill locos, so in no way am I obsessive regarding celebrity locos. Rather, 97201 fits my era and was a widely travelled loco. What I do not understand is why a simple, I would like an "XXX loco in YYY colour" is not enough and people have to criticise others for their choice.

​Roy

• RMweb Gold

There is nothing in Mark’s post which is critical or offensive of anyone in particular or everyone in general. All I saw was some words observing that “celebrities” are popular with modellers, sometimes to the exclusion of other choices.

There is nothing in Mark’s post which is critical or offensive of anyone in particular or everyone in general. All I saw was some words observing that “celebrities” are popular with modellers, sometimes to the exclusion of other choices.

Is it possibly the case that when a 'celebrity' is produced that if its a personal favourite then there's more motivation to buy that particular one while its available with the likelihood of it being produced again slim. There's perhaps less motivation to buy a run-of-the-mill loco right there and then.

I'm probably as guilty as anyone of having a high-ratio of celebrities to normal locos!

Good question! My research indicates that 97201 was given the name after a visit to Doncaster Works in 1979-1980 when it was first repainted into RTC red/blue. A photo here http://www.derbysulzers.com/5061.html shows the nameplate affixed inboard of the large bodyside grille on side where this grille is to the right.

A number of undated photos show the loco with no nameplate affixed on this or on the other side, suggesting that the nameplate(s) may not have always been attached.

However, I have found four photos from two events in 1985 which are most interesting. Photos taken on 6th July 1985 at Cardiff Canton open day definitely show the name affixed to the side described above but no name affixed on the other side. There are also pictures taken on 1st September 1985 (just 8 weeks later) at Coalville open day which show again just one nameplate affixed bit this time on the other side, i.e. on the side with the large grille to the left. Examination of the photos where no nameplate is attached show no trace of the former position, suggesting that the 'plate was never permanently affixed to either side of the locomotive. All this tends to suggest that there may never have been two nameplates, or that if there were the possibly one was either stolen, lost or damaged beyond use by mid-1985.

All pictures after September 1985 (and whilst the loco still in service with the RTC) seem to show the loco without 'plates on either side. A later picture (on the same website as above) shows a 'plate attached again to the side with the grille to the left, but this was taken in August 1991 at the Midland Railway Centre after the loco was sold to preservation. Shortly after that date the loco was repainted into RTC Red/Blue for the final time with the number 5061 added on the secondman's cabside; again with the nameplate affixed to the left and was exhibited at Cambridge station open day in September 1991.

So the short answer seems to be some time in 1980 (when newly painted in Red/Blue) to September 1985, but not necessarily all the time, and possibly not on both sides at the same time, unless anyone can prove otherwise, of course...

Kevin

hiya

can confirm there are two nameplates for experiment,both slightly different

one is at Durham trains of Stanley on the wall,and the other is in my garage :-)

no idea why they kept changing the sides,

I and a couple of other lads purchased 5061 from the MRC in 1992 and we still have her (money pit) :O

as a side the sound files for the SLW 24 came off 5061,so its going to be right for the loco  :dancing:

cheers

vince

• Like 6

hiya

can confirm there are two nameplates for experiment,both slightly different

one is at Durham trains of Stanley on the wall,and the other is in my garage :-)

no idea why they kept changing the sides,

I and a couple of other lads purchased 5061 from the MRC in 1992 and we still have her (money pit) :O

as a side the sound files for the SLW 24 came off 5061,so its going to be right for the loco  :dancing:

cheers

vince

Don't mention money pit, D5054 is going to cost £35K+ to fix at moment

• Like 1

I phoned yesterday as I hadn't had an email and I found out the address they had was wrong although when I voted I thought I updated the address but never mind experiment with sound ordered. I would advise those who voted if they haven't had an email to give them a call as they said a few had bounced back. I was told approx 6 months wait for the model.

Thanks

Mark

• RMweb Premium

Could someone be so kind as to post a picture of the bag of buffer beam accessories that the first run BR blue 24 was supplied with please.

I put such things in a small box with lots of other buffer beam parts from other locos and I cannot remember know which is which!

I'm toying with the idea of selling mine.

I phoned yesterday as I hadn't had an email and I found out the address they had was wrong although when I voted I thought I updated the address but never mind experiment with sound ordered. I would advise those who voted if they haven't had an email to give them a call as they said a few had bounced back. I was told approx 6 months wait for the model.

Thanks

Mark

Should also be remembered that they offer payment plan options for a £10 administration fee, so it is possible to avoid the credit card if needed by paying over those 6 months (or longer).

I have no interest in the options on offer as I already have the two I require (d5000/5017) on a payment plan with them.

As we get towards the tail end of the year, i have to say that, as much as i love slw's class 24 - i have 3 and will add another- and as much as their after sales service is second to none, i cant help feeling a bit disappointed at their output for 2017. Last christmas we were promised that this year would deliver something big, (regular followers of this thread will remember the christmas card email that had a 24/1 picture on it, and all the froth that accompanied it.

But all we have had so far is a re run of standard blue and green locos and then the whole voting scheme which took 7 months to say what we could all see 5 months ago. With warley next week i have all fingers and a few toes tightly crossed hoping that an announcement is made about a new model, otherwise the promised big year is likely to be a big let down. Heres hoping.....

As we get towards the tail end of the year, i have to say that, as much as i love slw's class 24 - i have 3 and will add another- and as much as their after sales service is second to none, i cant help feeling a bit disappointed at their output for 2017. Last christmas we were promised that this year would deliver something big, (regular followers of this thread will remember the christmas card email that had a 24/1 picture on it, and all the froth that accompanied it.

But all we have had so far is a re run of standard blue and green locos and then the whole voting scheme which took 7 months to say what we could all see 5 months ago. With warley next week i have all fingers and a few toes tightly crossed hoping that an announcement is made about a new model, otherwise the promised big year is likely to be a big let down. Heres hoping.....

Class 25, Class 25, Class 25...

I mentioned that I was keen for them to do a 25 on the phone to Jamie yesterday (when ordering my 97201). She said they'd had a lot of people expressing their interest in them doing a 25, so they're very aware of the demand for another new loco and a 25 in particular.

My two 24s, 24081 and 97201 when it arrives, complete my fleet of 24s, so that will be it for SLW purchases for me until they bring out a new model. Much as I love them, I can't really justify any more.

My credit card is breathing a little more easily for the time-being, but a 25 would change all that. 

Incidentally, Jamie mentioned that 97201 is expected around April/May next year. My Bachmann one, good as it is and as much as I like it, is now officially on borrowed time. 

• RMweb Gold

Incidentally, Jamie mentioned that 97201 is expected around April/May next year. My Bachmann one, good as it is and as much as I like it, is now officially on borrowed time.

Not so much a case of life I imitating art as a Model imitating the Prototype!

I personally would love to see Sutton Locomotive Works produce a detailed model of either a class 40 or class 45.

Imagine all of that superb detail and a speaker in the roof grill as well as one in the fuel tanks. I'm sure that would look and sound heavenly.

Any thoughts ???

Paul.