Gresley 4-6-4 LNER 1000

DonnyRailMan

• RMweb Gold

Got to be the original whale looking loco. The rebuild is just another A4 lookalike

Note the jester. Note also that the rebuild hung around a lot longer than the original as W1 60700. I think NuCast had a kit of the high pressure loco. They are often to be seen at swapmeets

Edited by Ian Hargrave

With my pedantic head on, the loco in question was numbered 10000 not 1000.

Gone in a cloud of dust and swirling newspapers. :rtfm:

That's why it had to be a 4-6-4 not a 4-6-2 - needed a bigger cab, to give room for the extra digit in LNER standard-size number transfers!

:stinker:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The original W1 was very much in the "impressive" category rather than "aesthetically pleasing" I feel.

Anyone wanting a rebuilt A4 style one could consider GR.King's resin parts to adapt a Hornby A4.

I read somewhere that the W1 was first plane to be a 4-6-2 configured locomotive. But it was to

heavy at the cab end so it was redesigned  with  4 wheels to spread the weight  and becoming

a 4-6-4 configuration . 

Extra length of the Marine Boiler.

• RMweb Gold

If Hornby did produce 4-6-4  1000 (Hush Hush ) loco I would had to my collection even though

not the best looking locomotive from Mr Gresley.

We used to have a disagree button. And I would use it here in respect of the original version of the loco. I just love that shape although the cab looks a bit small relative to the rest of the beast.

• RMweb Premium

Good grief, a whole new thread in the Hornby forum discussing a loco they're not even producing. I saw the topic title and thought there had been another announcement. Can the title at least be changed please so as not to be misleading.

• Like 1

I'd probably buy both versions if they were available, but it's the original that I'd really want.

I may have to resort to a kit one of these days.

Oddly, I've always been a Southern modeller, but I can't resist big LNER locos - I seem to own more of them than anything else...

For what it's worth this item isn't even in the overall top 50 of the recent MREmag/RMweb wish list poll.

It comes in tied for number 34 with the LNER K4 on the list of the top 50 locomotives at 189 votes.

189 LNER W1 ‘Hush Hush’ 4-6-4 (10000)

According to "us" there are 33 locomotives we'd like to see more than the W1.  And at one step ahead with 190 votes:

190 LNER P2 2-8-2 Streamlined Style Nos.2003-2006 & Rebuilt Nos.2001/2

The Bulleid Leader and the LMS Big Bertha were both more popular.