Sydney Road-A 60 inch by 15 inch Microlayout

Of course, it's your railway, and it's entirely up to you,
but I'd agree with the comments above, that there's a lot of track there in not that much space
Having so much track in such an area can often contribute to sidings appearing shorter too

less is definitely more - maybe lose a siding or 2. Often this doesn't affect operation adversely

Cheers now, and good luck with it :)

EDIT: I say "not much space" but that plan is bigger than my last O gauge layout, and almost twice the size of my next one! lol

I too agree with Marc. This is an awful lot of track in the space and, from a different perspective, offers you little free ground for scenic debelopment . I would suggest you would get more operational potential from a " Timesaver" style plan affording greater siding length. This would also prove less expensive point wise. Some of the sidings in your plan look so short they may just hold one six wheeler loco. As stated above, less is often more unless you are planning to create a USA freight yard.

About 10 years ago, I produced this as a first "proper" layout, which was a section of a German locomotive depot.

It was 44 ins by 13 ins plus a fiddle yard, thus keeping the main board within Carl Arendt's micro layout definition of under 4 sq. ft.

Although it is smaller and simpler than your plan, the red circles highlight areas that caused trouble in operation due to too short sidings, too tight curves and lack of fiddle yard space.

The time to correct the major faults was almost as much as the original construction time. You can see it operating at a show here.

https://vimeo.com/23095158

Therefore, I would agree with what everyone else has said. Try to keep it simpler, particularly with less points and longer sidings.

My simplest shunting layout is 3 ft by 1 ft with just one point. However, with a card based shunting system, it can still keep me from getting bored during a full day at a show.

Tony

post-11270-0-04399900-1450260190_thumb.jpg

I'm just about to start building this, which is the well established Timesaver shunting puzzle, made to look like a 1950s Western Region station, and with a branch junction added so I can run passenger railcars to add to the confusion. It's 6ft 6in x 1ft, but could be shortened by a foot if the cassette at the left end was omitted, as this isn't needed for the Timesaver. This is an adaptation of a tried and tested layout that is known to work, and my changes won't stop it working properly. I think it's well worth starting with an established design, then doing your own thing later when you've had some practical operating experience. I've made a big effort with this one to make sure it complies with the Timesaver rules, even though I've added a bit of quirkiness/correct GWR practice to it.

post-7091-0-18051000-1450262766_thumb.jpg

The track 0lan looks good, though I'd be inclines to lose the diamond crossing and put the point in its place. Peorotype railways would tend to keep the layout as simple as possible with as few junctions as was necessary.

Designed after consultation with the experts, following GWR/Western Region practice :angel:. They didn't like sidings coming off running lines, and went to great lengths to avoid it.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/106095-1950s-western-regiontimesaver-track-plan/

• 2 weeks later...

Archived