The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2016 Includes live results. Beware!

Oldddudders

If Mercedes start as the dominant force I doubt if Rosberg good as he is will beat Hamilton.

When the pressure is on Rosberg has difficulty.

That was proved time and time again last season..he overcooks it or backs off both of which send him backwards.

I would suggest he did so well at the end of the season because there was no pressure..championship was over.

Same applied to Lewis but with opposite results..although he would obviously be desiring a win he didn't need to win and made mistakes.

However when it matters and the pressure is on Hamilton can find the extra and take it right to the line which makes him the champion he is.

The only driver out there that equals Hamilton is Vettel..if he had a Mercedes under him my money would be on him.

He has the same skills and determination but doesn't have his head turned with Gangsta Rap sh**e! 

More importantly in my book is the fact that F1 is losing its appeal and now looks and sounds tame.

I would like to see them scrapping the 'rules' they introduce that do nothing but f**k up the whole spectator experience like max fuel load..wtf is that all about?

Its a race..no none is interested that Mercedes can produce a more economical unit that might does 8mpg when the Ferrarri only does 7..!

When they tell drivers to turn down the wick to save fuel its a disgrace to the thousands that spend their hard earned on hopefully expecting a proper race..not managed by the pit

lane.

Also with tyres..why don't they allow teams to fit what they want and as many changes as they like..a team would penalise themselves by overdoing this but the choice should be

theirs.

I can understand rules designed to level the financial playing field in respect of smaller teams being able to compete with the big boys like limiting the amount of engines available

that cost millions.. but tyres and fuel?..

We have this nod to the ecomentalists in that F1 is advancing the hybrid electric drive systems but that is tosh.

Hybrid vehicles using spin off  F1 will only translate into the underpinnings of top end sports cars like Porsche and Audi..they will be used to provide more power and not economy.

Rapidly losing interest in F1 now as many others are I am sure ..maybe spend more time in the important things now like building the layout.

Rant over.

Dave.

They should open the engine token system that they currently have to the full car. So you have 1000 tokens (which represent x number of £ and man hours) so you can spend all your money on aero and have a weedy engine or have a massive engine which has to push a Lego brick through the air.

And remove the tech restrictions - f1 was never so good as when you had turbos and normally aspirated engines fighting it out with some cars refuelling and some cars not. The innovation should be there because it makes cars more competitive - not because it has been mandated from upon high.

To me, the most damning thing is that if you painted all of the cars black you would never be able to tell them apart

Hamiltons album has been announced

Title - Lap it Up Dawg

Track 1 - Red(flag to a)Bull

Track 2 - Silverstoned

Track 3 - Ernie(featuring Damon "benny" Hill)

Track 4 - White Lines

Track 5 - Mister Rubba Luvva

Track 6 - One kers Glove(messy mix)

Track 7 - Eau Rouge(featuring Armitage Shanks)

Track 8 - Barbie Girl(das boot mix)

It will need a Ferrari (or another non-Mercedes) win in the first race of the season to grant any sort of interest to F1 in the 2016 season. The very unsubtle manipulation by Mercedes at the end of the season made very clear the scale of technical advantage they held over the rest of the teams. The Red Bull car with a Mercedes quality power plant, or some world class catch up by Ferrari, the two most credible possibilities for a truly competitive season. But I'm not holding my breath for either.

The best we can realistically hope for is a rash of full duration wet races, where intrinsic handling quality of a chassis and driver skill largely negate advantage in power, allowing several upsets to the usual result.

A serious post for a change….about F1 and general musings from the pitwall….

I have been in and out of motor sports since I was a nipper. Dad did bits of engineering for people with race cars in the 60’s-70’s(Addlestone, Weybridge and surroundings were a hot bed of club and international racing people back then) and in the 80’s West Surrey Engineering were a contractor who made bits and bobs for the company he worked for, so he was there regularly, and I will not forget dad telling me over dinner one day that West Surrey had started a ‘young foreign lad’ in F3 who they reckoned was amazing. That was Ayrton Senna and in 1983, at Silverstone, dad took me to the paddock where I was introduced to Ayrton. He was a very nice chap cleaning the rear wing of his car when I met him which boggles the mind now. My good luck wishes were good for him in that season but, sadly, not good enough to last for more than 11 years :(

Anyway…back to more recent times. My only involvement with anything F1 is having bought 2 dampers used by BAR Honda for a ill thought out project, having hung out with the Enstone Renault test team at Silverstone Stowe circuit, a couple of times back in the testing days(if gawping whilst getting free tea from the chuck wagon counts?),  and now part preparing a Judd engined hillclimb sports car. If you search Tom Brown Judd Gurston, on YouTube, there may still be a couple of short vids of said car. It is red and yummy.

What I do know from my involvement in rallying, circuit racing and hillclimbs is there is one thing in common with F1 and that is money, and the willingness to spend it.  The higher up the ladder you go the spending, if spent well, will always get results. Sadly; gone are the days of a bunch of chaps getting together in a shed in Walton-on-Thames say, with bits of string and angle iron for chassis jigs, and creating a winner. In those days there was very little aero and a talent could drive around any chassis problems, right on the gearbox of the guy in front, and possibly beat him on brakes or commitment. Results were down to bravery and talent as long as things didn’t fall off eh Mr.Chapman :). Nowadays 1 million pounds makes a wee tiny 1000th of a second difference that can’t be driven around and the computers say so and that is how it will be. The computers and race prediction software steer so much of the goings in F1 I wonder why some of the teams even go to the circuits. The money would be better spent sponsoring flood defences for national pride.

A previous poster has said that the only hope is for full wet weather races. True because then you are putting more into the hands of the driver but I think the best is varying weather extremes over the duration of qualifying and the race itself. In these circumstances you are in situations where common sense within the team and driver talent gets results. I can think of plenty of times when somebody should have just rung up somebody they knew in the approximate area of where the inclement weather might be coming from, or if you are at Thruxton, Goodwood or le Mans get someone up to the control tower and get some wind direction and speeds, do some maths and then get your tyres ready. Be it parking sensors in Waitrose car park or Silverstone GP you often can’t beat common sense. I think there is way too much reliance on pretty pictures on a laptop and way too many blinkered thought processes in the management. Not all the time but often enough.

The answer to F1’s problems in my mind is do away with computers and go back to string science.

Now for musings which one can apply to TV ratings, ticket sales and such which affect sponsorship and public interest at all levels of motor sport. I would say that I am a motorsport enthusiast but, like a lot of people I know and have /still do prepare cars for, we aren’t that enthusiastic anymore. Very few of us spectate or compete that much these days. It is a mix of the cost of competing in the UK, the officialdom, the hassle with noise regulations, the sometimes poor grid numbers and the lack of spectators.

As an example of cost I went as a mechanic to Zandvoort in 2013, with a chap I have prepped cars for over several years and the rtn ferry, 2 nights in a hotel, petrol, entry fee for 2 quali’s and 2 races, food and my beer requirements was less than a weekend of one quali and one race, 1 night in a hotel, petrol, and entry fee at Croft, which is only some 4hrs away. I did drink a lot more at Croft tho :)

Zandvoort vs. Croft…mmm…let me think which is the best weekend.

An example of poor spectator numbers it is definitely Rockingham. It is quite possibly the worst place for spectator numbers and it is simply depressing to put so much effort into something for part your fun and others to be watched by, and I kid you not, 10 people and somebody’s dog. Castle Combe is the best for spectators at club level. A very enthusiastic and supportive gathering you get there.

If it was cheaper to spectate/enter, LOUDER and more on the edge then I think you would get more people watching and willing to put off buying new shoes for the kids to go and race for the spectators. I reckon when I was going with mum and dad to Silverstone in the late 70’s-early 80’s you would have nearly as many spectating at a random club event, with its variety of handicap and sprint races and eclectic grids, as you do now with BTCC banger racing. Go back to the 30’s at Brooklands or 50’s at Goodwood, Shelsley and so on I reckon crowds were what you see at todays GP’s. People went for the noise and picnic even if they couldn’t see anything. Saloons looked like what your dad drove and not the £250,000 lookalikes you see now in the british saloon camps.

To anyone who hasn’t been motor racing I have some tips if you fancy a day out of good old fashioned noise and fun without breaking the bank, or  having to dress up as a Battle of Britain ace. At Thruxton there is a classic event(hope it continues) with 70’s F1, classic sports GT’s etc that I think is the one ‘noisy’ event they are allowed each year. Walk around as far as you can round the back of the circuit from the ‘complex’ and enjoy the noise.

The Castle Combe Classic is an absolute joy to attend with Quarry being the incident corner and round the back for watching cars drift about. Silverstone Classic is the best for shear variety and the cheapest way to attend is to join one of the classic car clubs in attendance and get your tickets early. You can save heaps.

The Brands Hatch classic is excellent too. Hillclimb wise it has to be the main VSCC  event at Shelsley Walsh and for more modern tastes, combined with some euro road trip fun, any of the German hillclimb events. Stay in the village used as a paddock. Search bergrennen on youtube for examples of madness with F3000, GT’s and ‘old timer’ saloons on the max between trees and armco.

Le Mans is amazing(24hr or Classic) but sadly isn’t quite the same as it was, due to changes in the circuit, but you wont know unless you were lucky enough to be there pre changes. 

You can’t go wrong at any UK circuit with Mini Miglia(which is still the closest fought club racing out there) and for a free day of a good selection of classics, from pre-war sports to Can Am, there is a noisy test day at Donnington before Silverstone Classic or Goodwood(can’t remember which). Also the press day at Silverstone in the spring for the classic is easy to get into if you wear a cloth cap and say you are prepping an E-type when at the entry gate.

There are many other events to choose from but  the above are definitely on the top of my list. Just avoid Rockingham at all costs if you have 1 or 2 legs. Even if it is free.

Note: The term ‘noisy’ is used officially for decibel levels allowed above the lower levels required at most events where heavy silencing is required. Some circuits can never have noisy events. Some can have one a year and some several and It very much depends who lives next door to the circuit. Normally ex military rank or position in government will head the list of complaints.

ps. if you have any parts for or know anyone with parts for a Singer Le Mans 34/35 please get in touch.

pppppps. If you live in Australia PLEASE go to Bathurst for the 1000 weekend and if you can borrow a time machine set for '92 and ' 93, a tuned 1600 Toyota please do a couple of laps, minding the cops on the Conrod Straight and get the wheels in the air through the Dipper. Life will never be the same again :)

Good move getting Coultard. He has a cool head and knows his stuff.

When it rains will they go straight to Lydden for the rallycross tho? :)

Those were the days eh? That and the once a year hour slot on World of Sport for Bathurst and the ground breaking in car camera work by Channel 7. Who remebers the headlight camera in the 635? and the Walkinshaw quali lap in the jag? (Tis on the tube i am sure)

Inglenookfan

• RMweb Gold

I've long had a thought that F1 needs to partner up with wife swapping... bear with me on this :D

All the cars need an ignition key fitting on them. Before the race, all the keys go in to a bowl and the drivers then pick a key out of the bowl to see which car they drive. Simple! That way it is totally random and no one can say driver so-and-so is only good because of his car. NB: No wives will actually be involved. I got this inspiration after watching the James Hunt film ;)

With a more serious thought on this, perhaps they need to scrap driver contracts and each driver has to drive every team's car throughout the season in 2 races. A good driver will be able to wring at least a bit more out of a rubbish car than a less-able driver and everyone gets to show their mettle in the good cars. The teams can still have their own championship because a well designed car should still do well (allegedly, according to the armchair fans who say Vettel/Hamilton are only able to win in fast cars and any driver could win in a current Merc/2010-13 Red Bull etc).

• RMweb Premium

Nothing to do with F1 2016 whatsoever, but I've just watched "Rush" all the way through for the first time. 

Having watched the grainy footage from Fuji originally when James Hunt won the title, that probably sowed the seed of my interest in F1 in the first place.

I haven't read any other critique of the film before and my own view, is that despite the obvious dramatisation, the current F1 scene is nowhere near as interesting.

Yet somehow, I still await the 20th March, 2016

Cheers,

Mick

What does a rookie-no-more F1 driver do when it snows?

He comes out to play!! :senile:

Max taking on the ski slopes of Kitzbühel, Austria :lol:

Now that I would like to see as a time trial special with all the drivers

• RMweb Gold

At least we get something. It's just a pity about the amount of Sky Only races

A quick look suggested Spa was about the only live race worth watching.

I see that engine costs have been capped. This may reduce the financial risk to smaller teams a little.

Archived