The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2016 Includes live results. Beware!

Oldddudders

• RMweb Gold

Happy New Year!

I seem to be deputed to starting this thread again, and am privileged to do so.

2015 saw a rerun that showed Mercedes still top dog, but with the rest catching up a bit. I wonder if this year will be the same? We do need close racing, please.

Channel 4 will apparently perform the terrestrial coverage of races that Sky allows them. Can they better the recent Beeb Team in presentation skills?

Last year's young rookies did very well in some cases. Look for them to grow further in status this time.

Lewis and Nico seemed to be in reversed positions at season's end. Will that continue?

Ferrari were much better than even Vettel had hoped. Great to see them back near the top. You don't have to like them but they are good for the sport.

Some themes here for us to chew over?

So to the 2016 predictions.

Vettle the Champion, after a titanic battle with Lewis and just a couple of points separating them in the last race of the season, Vestappen takes 3rd after a consistent season just beating Bottas?

Merc wins the Constructors again from Ferrari with Torro Rosso 3rd!!!!!!

Haas are disappointing,

Manor show real promise with some good points.

McLaren still not a lot bêtter and are consistently beaten by Manor.

Alonso and Button announce retirement mid season with Alonso leaving early.

Channel 4 do an amazing Job much to everyone's delight.

Bernie looses the Plot,            BU66ER ME     He's already done that in 2015

Max Moseley takes control and dishes out even dosh to the teams.

A far closer season with 6 different Race winners over the season.

All we need now is to see the Testing getting underway.

• RMweb Premium

So to the 2016 predictions.

Alonso and Button announce retirement mid season with Alonso leaving early.

Will he even last that long?

Happy New Year to the petrolheads.

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Although I am a Hamilton fan and great for him to be World Champion again I do hope we can have some real racing again, as it was in the seventies (without the terrible loss of lives)

I doubt it will happen though, so once again I will be following the BTCC series on channel four and going to the racing at Oulton Park and a few more local circuits

As a Jason Plato fan in particular you are always guaranteed he will give 110%

But competive racing from all the drivers in the BTCC series means there never will be follow the leader.

Terry

Predictions:

1. A merc driver as world champ. Considering his form at the end of last year, I'd have a cheeky flutter in Rosberg

2. Ferrari run them close. I'm predicting more race wins for Ferrari, who will announce that Bottas is to replace Raikonnen for 2017.

3. Williams will surge forwards and will begin to nibble at the prospect of a race win

4. Haas will outperform most comparable teams and will spring the occasional surprise

5. Red Bull to announce VW hookup

6. Force India to rebrand as Aston Martin

7. Maldonado let go from Renault after one year

Hi,

I see Hamilton winning it again. Rosberg looks good when the pressure is off and Hamilton has nothing to race for.

Vettel 3rd with Ferrari finally giving up on Raikonnen mid season when he has half Vettels points.

I don't think Torro Rosso will be that good as IIRC they've got 2015 engines.

Mclaren will be competitive. Honda know/knew what the problem was but silly rules meant they could do nothing about it during the season so had to waste a year. I don't think Button/Alonso would still be there otherwise.

The Ferrari 'B' team will either be good from the off or giving Manor a run for their money.

The unknown comes from Red Bull. Definitely a good car when power not so important. If their own take on the Renault engine is successful who knows?

Finally lets hope for more wet/damp/dry races as there were some seriously dull non events last season.

Gareth

Forgot Williams. They'll promise much but have some poor performances then when in with a chance will make some bad calls from the pit wall.

First, how did I do with last year's predictions?

A bit more competition than this year but the same teams at the top of the order and successful defence of at least one of the Championships.

Ferrari (Vettel at least) got closer, and both titles successfully defended, so I'll claim that one.

Over the course of the year we'll see 5 different race winners from 4 different teams.

I was a bit optimistic there... Let down by Williams not quite delivering on their promise of the end of 2014 and Red Bull being way off!!

Button to outscore Alonso at Mclaren.

Yes!

Raikonnen to outscore Vettel at Ferarri (if they both last the season).

Very Wrong...

At least one team that starts the year will not be there at the last race.

Well they all made it , but a couple of them only just...

So just 2 out of 5 - not very impressive...

So on to 2016...

Much closer overall, but again at least one title successfully defended.

5 drivers to win races including 1 maiden victory.

Mclaren to be much improved - Regularly scoring points and possibly 1 or 2 podiums but no wins. One or other of their drivers will retire at the end of the season if not before.

HAAS won't score many points but possibly the best debut season for a completely new team since Jordan finished 5th in 1991?

Renault to be this seasons biggest under-achievers.

Paul,

Surely the best ever debut season for team was Brawn GP winning the Championship in 2009? You can't do much better than that...

steve

Steve, I said a completely new team i.e. not a rebranding/buy-out of an existing team. Brawn was a continuation of the Honda (ex BAR, ex Tyrrell) Team...

• RMweb Premium

Steve, I said a completely new team i.e. not a rebranding/buy-out of an existing team. Brawn was a continuation of the Honda (ex BAR, ex Tyrrell) Team...

When was the last completely new team started in Formula 1?

From what I heard, Brawn didn't buy-out Honda. Honda without prior warning withdrew from the sport, and Brawn stepped up to buy what was left of the team.

Then again, my memory is probably skewed.

Regards,

Matt

From what I heard, Brawn didn't buy-out Honda. Honda without prior warning withdrew from the sport, and Brawn stepped up to buy what was left of the team.

Then again, my memory is probably skewed.

Regards,

Matt

Whatever the legalities of the transfer of assets, with the exception of the Merc Engine, the Brawn Car was fundamentally the car Honda would have raced in 2009 if they had continued. It wasn't a new team developing a new car from the ground up...

It was also regarded as a takeover & name change by the FIA as Brawn received the financial contribution to travel costs etc that would have been due to Honda based on the previous years results.

Here goes...

If Rosberg starts 2016 as he finished 2015, I'd agree he has a much stronger chance.  So much so, that the Mercedes boys will have a coming together at sometime in the first five races and then it's handbags out for the rest of the season.  Overall, Hamilton still has the car and racing edge, so title number four for him.

Raikkonen will decide there's more fun off the track (he spent enough time investigating exit routes in 2015), leaving a prime seat for (?) Verstappen.

The grinning Aussie will pull off a couple of mercurial drives (and overtakes) to secure a couple of early podium placements - but will be penalised at least once for finishing ahead of Ferrari.  (Ok, that won't be the reason given, but we all know the form).  Mclaren will be penalised for - being McLaren.

It will be three races before Maldonado completes a lap in an undamaged car.

• RMweb Premium

If Hamilton does release an album I hope it's better than Lenny Henry's!

Mention of 'the grinning Australian' above really deserves repeating, he is a fantastic driver and could challenge for the championship if he had a better engine.  The car always seems to have the best handling, if they ever get a Merc engine or possibly a Ferrari it will be unstoppable.  Then it will be like the last couple of seasons ie a one horse race.  But that was OK last time when it was Red Bull/Vettel of course! :O

Archived