The Depots, Rosedale East.

Worsdell forever

• RMweb Gold

Made a start painting rails tonight, one side of half of the layout done with Humbrol No 62, it'll get a bit of tidying up and toning down with the sleepers getting a bit of detailing.

post-7104-0-71074000-1493757381_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-96357500-1493757392_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Got quite a bit done over the weekend, most of the track is painted, the coal depot handrails fitted and painted and the cottage 'bedded in', it will be fixed but for now it will stay loose until other jobs in the area are finished. 

post-7104-0-68241400-1494884690_thumb.jpg

post-7104-0-05282700-1494884700_thumb.jpg

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Being serious, ( for once!!), would there have been any domestic traffic, or was it all mining related?

Mike.

There would have been quite a lot of domestic traffic, the mines, at their peak employed around 5000 people and then there were their families and other businesses plus the 'native' population, so probably 10,000 plus in the dale? there was no decent road into the dale either.

• RMweb Premium

We have the remains on an old pig pen in our garden, probably similar dimensions to the section with the red tiled roof in your model. From what I can tell from what remains only the back half had a roof, the front section was open to the elements. However, the Staffordshire climate is probably considerably kinder, so might just be that the pigs that used to live in my garden needed less protection!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Been trying to get my head round the buildings in the yard, I think it's something like right.

attachicon.gifIMGP9951-001.JPG

I hate to point out the obvious but shouldn't a cottage with a pigsty be somewhere far less visible? Perhaps behind the hill?? Mr York can advise...

• RMweb Gold

We have the remains on an old pig pen in our garden, probably similar dimensions to the section with the red tiled roof in your model. From what I can tell from what remains only the back half had a roof, the front section was open to the elements. However, the Staffordshire climate is probably considerably kinder, so might just be that the pigs that used to live in my garden needed less protection!

We breed 'em tough up here...

The pigsties on my uncles farm next door don't have outside areas but they could be let out into the adjacent field. There haven't been pigs there for 35+ years though and this house I'm typing this in was built on the field 45 years ago.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Last night the sheds progressed to the mostly painted stage now, the pigsty still needs a door.

post-7104-0-13643300-1495233659_thumb.jpg

It's been mostly bigger jobs tonight, the front profile boards for boards 1, 2 and 3 have been cut, fitted and had a coat of stain, while the depot cottage yard surface has been started using lightweight filler. the last job tonight was a coat of brown paint on the front of boards 1 and 2.

post-7104-0-30212300-1495233668_thumb.jpg

Included here on board 2 is a little something for those who like that sort of thing...

post-7104-0-86356400-1495233677_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Really taking shape now Paul, what sort of height of hill goes at the back of the boards?

In reality the hill starts rising a lot further back than the baseboard edge will allow, a 4' wide board probably wouldn't be enough and it probably rises up to 100' to the moor top behind, I'm hoping to have it about up to the height of the buildings so if it's fairly steep it will be about 5" from the back of the board. Hopefully there will be a photo backscene behind with a bit of hill, moor and sky. 

• RMweb Premium

In reality the hill starts rising a lot further back than the baseboard edge will allow, a 4' wide board probably wouldn't be enough and it probably rises up to 100' to the moor top behind, I'm hoping to have it about up to the height of the buildings so if it's fairly steep it will be about 5" from the back of the board. Hopefully there will be a photo backscene behind with a bit of hill, moor and sky.

Any sheep to keep the pigs company?

• RMweb Gold

You certainly can have too many sheep! I believe a sheep needs a minimum of four acres and on poor upland ground quite a lot more. How many sheep do you actually see in pictures of the S&C, for example?

I would say up to 10 on good land, probably 5 per acre in the field to the front of the layout, which in total will be about 20 acres, they do like to keep together so if they all wandered round this way there could be up to 100 sheep, but I don't fancy painting that many...