The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

David Bowie passes

beast66606

Very, very sad news.

Edit: That news has rather upset me, which can only be a measure of how great an icon he was. Not a lot usually bothers me, but he will be missed dearly. RIP.

• RMweb Gold

I saw David on the 1987 Glass Spider tour on 21st June st Cardiff Arms Park. I wasn't keen but I went because a female friend of mine wanted to go and didn't want to go alone or as a gooseberry so I went with her and another couple of mates and had a fantastic day out at a superb concert, I've been an admirer of Bowies ever since, not a major fan but his music is always there.

He was a major musical and social influence of my time - my parents could never quite accept his outfits and makeup but they were from a different age - who inspired many.

A very talented guy who will be sadly missed by many - farewell Starman

I've been buying his records since 1972. Have nearly all his stuff.

R.I.P. Dave.

There's a starman waiting in the sky
He'd like to come and meet us
But he thinks he'd blow our minds
There's a starman waiting in the sky
He's told us not to blow it
Cause he knows it's all worthwhile
He told me:
Let the children lose it
Let the children use it
Let all the children boogie

Brit15

The Glass Spider tour reminds me of the only time I saw him live, at the old Wembley Stadium. Big Country were the support act.

An amazing theatrical and musical show.

Although not a fan in the earlier Ziggy days, Young Americans and subsequent albums really got me hooked in th mid and late 70's, right through into the 80's.

There's a live show from the late 80's or early 90's on YouTube. If it's still there, it's worth seeking out.

RIP Bowie.

• RMweb Gold

I can remember him (as David Jones) on the BBC early evening 'Tonight' programme as the resident singer with his guitar. Way back then I thought that there was something about this chap.

They're all going away so fast now. I don't often feel upset at news of the passing of the greats from my adolescence, but this is different.

• RMweb Premium

It was a bit of a shock to hear of his death this morning. While Bowie's music was never my 'cup of tea', his music was on the radio in the background and he appeared in a few films I enjoyed too, so it was like he was always around somewhere in my life. A genuine era of music has ended. RIP David.

Well this one has knocked me for six.

Immeasurable, polarising influence.  Basically, what more do you want from your Rock Icons?

And a top fella to boot.

I'm late for work.  Sod it.  

"Rebel Rebel, you've torn your dress..."

R.I.P 

• RMweb Premium

It was a bit of a shock to hear of his death this morning. While Bowie's music was never my 'cup of tea', his music was on the radio in the background and he appeared in a few films I enjoyed too, so it was like he was always around somewhere in my life. A genuine era of music has ended. RIP David.

Pretty well my thoughts and likewise never owned any of his music but like what I heard on the radio.

Reminded by my local radio this morning of him at the Freddie Mercury tribute concert and him saying the Lords Prayer in front of camera at Wembly

Apparently released a new album last Friday

RIP

My first gig, August 27 1972 at the Locarno in Bristol. Also among the support was Thin Lizzy. The tickets were £1 in advance, I cycled over to Frome to get them. Forget the first band on, but Thin Lizzy were up next and there was a Led Zeppelin film. With Bowie, we've now lost Mick Ronson, Phil Lynott and Gary Moore from that night. It was only a few months later that we were at the Locarno again to see Hawkwind with Lemmy.

I have a reprint copy of the superb book "Moonage Daydream - The life and times of Ziggy Stardust" - Photographs by Mick Rock, Text by David Bowie.

These two extracts are from that book. Bowie in his early years did not like aeroplane travel - in fact he avoided it as much as possible. In the book he states

"After an unbelievably long and strenuous tour of the far east and Japan I came back to England via Russia, Poland and East Germany taking the Trans Siberian Express among other trains. I was utterly exhausted and the last thing I wanted to do was to keep touring, but ............

There are several pages dedicated to his tours of America, by Train back in 1972 (Amtrak had just formed in 1971 - but a lot of the old named passenger trains still ran. Again David wrote

"Those early journeys through the vastness of America were perhaps, some of my favourite times. The trains themselves had such great names, Texas Chief, San Francisco Zephyr, Broadway Limited, The Wolverine, Abraham Lincoln, National Limited and more. What great names, They all sounded like guitars, Fender Texas Chief.

Brit15

• RMweb Premium

Struggling to find the right words. As others have already said, there's something different about this sad news, not just that another rock star has parted this life. I have no claim to having been his greatest fan etc., but there's something deeper about my inner reaction here.

RIP David Bowie.

Just stunned to hear this news. One of those rare musicians who were able to successfully and innovatively reinvent themselves such that if you didn't like all of his music you probably liked some. His music was always there.

I was never over keen during his Stardust days, I was put off by the whole 'glam' thing, got to like his eighties stuff and then revisited his earlier work. What a legacy he has left.

RIP David

I was too young to appreciate the Ziggy Stardust era but later on 'caught up' by buying a 'greatest hits' album.

What impressed me however was the genuine-ness with which he got involved with the Bob Geldoff's feed the world campaign. That sort of thing transcends pop stardom and he had my respect from that day onwards.

• RMweb Gold

Not my favourite artist by any means, but sort of upsetting as another icon that has been there throughout my life has gone..perhaps we start to look at our own mortality. RIP Mr B.

BTW it's about time we beat the big C once and for all.

Archived