The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

David Bowie passes

beast66606

• RMweb Gold

First vinyl album I ever purchased was Simon and Garfunkel's greatest hits

Second one was Space Oddity

At the time I knew why I purchased the first but was uncertain about the second....looking back I know why now!

What an influence right back to his very early days...

I give you some lyrics from a Strawbs track...

The boy stood on the burning deck

His back against the mast

He didnt dare to turn around

Till Davy Bowie passed...

Even very early on in his career he was influencing the music of others....

May Ziggy play the celestial guitar for many years to come 

Phil

• RMweb Premium

I was fortunate enough to see Bowie at Wembley during Live Aid. "We can Be Heroes", particularly the  chunky guitar almost throughout and the bass line, has been one of my favourite songs since then and makes me feel quite sad whenever I hear it.  Now I shall be even more sad whenever I hear it. RIP Mr B.

Phil

He was very influential on my musical tastes and I have nearly all of his LPs. Very sad and shocked to hear about his death. It seems all the great people are dying. There don't seem to be the same icons of music, film, art and literature coming through to replace them.

Very very sad. He presumably knew he was going but made sure he left us his final album. Real integrity and far more artist than "pop star". It's amazing to realise how many of the most memorable tracks from my life were his. Major Tom will always be my personal favourite released ten days before Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin walked on the moon

R.I.P. David Bowie, you're already missed.  

• RMweb Gold

Thinking about him, a man who constantly embraced change, never just being DB. Innovative to the last.

Paraphrasing Rick Wakeman ,"A great loss today but also a great loss of the music that has been taken to the grave" 

Just listen to 'Lazarus'...what an exit.......

A great sadness and in my case, fear. David Bowie was two days past his 69th birthday; I am 6 months past mine. He battled cancer for 18 months and lost; I am battling with cancer for 2 1/2 years now and it looks like I am winning but the jury is still out.

I feel sorrow for Bowie. He must have known the fear that I did, that every cancer diagnosis brings.

I also recall that the headmaster of my son's school told us that David Jones had attended the school in times past.

These sorts of deaths bring my own life into sharp focus.

At least the fear has left him now and he has found peace.

• RMweb Gold

not someone who i conciously listen to but as someone else pointed out his songs have always been there in the background and its surprising how many you know

i pickiede up the "best of" from a charity shop a while back and listen to it now and again, and as a life long pet shop boys fan i particularly enjoyed "hullo spaceboy" from the mid 90s

as i have pointed out in the status update, bowie has 10 albums in the top 20 and 12 songs in the top 40 today!

• RMweb Premium

At school in the 70s, we had no internet, no mobile phones, no streaming and no multiple music video channels. Our music was about buying records, (singles and albums), new fangled cassettes, listening to Radio Luxembourg and watching Top of the Pops.

With most artists, you could pretty much guess that the new record that came out would sound pretty much like the last one and the one before that. Not with David Bowie. There were a small number of artists and groups that were the talk of the locker room when they brought something out. Groups like Queen and artists like David Bowie.

I never went to see him live and I never bought a record and although there were some of his tunes that I really liked there were others that I just didn't "get".

Yet today, I am listening to all the tributes on the radio, rediscovering the music and realising just how much he meant to so many people and feeling very sad indeed. Another part of my childhood has gone.

R.I.P. .

Tony G

As one of many early members of the baby-boom generation, David Bowie's death will come as a great shock to many, including many of us here.

His was clearly a life fully lived. He will be lamented by many but more than that he will be remembered. 

• RMweb Gold

First vinyl album I ever purchased was Simon and Garfunkel's greatest hits

Second one was Space Oddity

At the time I knew why I purchased the first but was uncertain about the second....looking back I know why now!

What an influence right back to his very early days...

I give you some lyrics from a Strawbs track...

The boy stood on the burning deck

His back against the mast

He didnt dare to turn around

Till Davy Bowie passed...

Even very early on in his career he was influencing the music of others....

May Ziggy play the celestial guitar for many years to come 

Phil

The lyrics for that Strawbs track - Backside - can be seen here

http://testicanzoni.mtv.it/testi-Strawbs_6539/testo-Backside-766151

You might think them rather earthy but the echos of the past and future Bowie are plain to see - from 1973

Youtube credits the track to Ciggy Barlust and the Whales from Venus...!!!

Phil

I am genuinely saddened by the passing of the great Bowie. Being born in the early '90s, I never really discovered his music until the later end of my teenage years, but the more I listened to, the more I found myself loving it all. He was the man of change, revolution - both within his music, his styles and even his acting. I've grown up listening to a lot of music from the 70s and 80s, and from it all if you asked me who I'd come to love the most - Blondie and Bowie. If only a time machine could ever be invented, I really would love get to at least one of his gigs.

Sadly, I think deep down we all knew something was up. Having kept himself out of the eye of the media since 2006, 2013s 'Where Are We Now / The Next Day' came of a great surprise. But there was a hint of fragility, A slight somberness. 'Blackstar' really has the feel of a parting gift, and the lines of 'Lazarus' really do say a final goodbye. He knew that he wasn't likely to remain on earth for long, maybe not as quickly as this though. As I write this, i'll admit I am holding back the tears.

There's a Starman waiting in the Sky, tonight Bowie it's you. We really have lost a true hero.

I'm also very sorry to read your post above David. My thoughts are with you too!

His talent for reinvention and an uncanny knack of gauging the mood of the audience meant he defined the teenage years of successive generations.

The universal tributes paid today are no less than we should expect with the passing of a priceless treasure.

The starman really is now waiting in the sky. RIP

Such upsetting news. Really upsetting but gosh what a life both musical and political.

I have been trawling the net watching/listening as many have and i just get such a smile coming on. Glad i saw him live and very glad to experience "john im only dancing(again)" performed by a ballerrina girlfriend many moons ago.

Swim like dolphins. Damn right!

Inglenookfan

• RMweb Gold

He borrowed one of his mate John Lennon's best lines in Young Americans when the backing singers  sing '.....I read the news today - oh boy' - sums up how I felt in December 1980 when John was killed and how I feel again today now that David has gone.

I had the honour of seeing him live twice - superb

He should have been knighted - an amazing guy - but then again he didn't oversee the Conservatives last Election Campaign so of course he wouldn't have been knighted would he!!!!

There's a starman waiting in the sky

He'd like to come and meet us

But he thinks he'd blow our minds

There's a starman waiting in the sky

He's told us not to blow it

Cause he knows it's all worthwhile

He told me:

Let the children lose it

Let the children use it

Let all the children boogie

That says it all.

I've been A fan from way back and will miss his inciteful missives.

Live long and prosper.

Long live the Starman.

Archived