The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

David Bowie passes

beast66606

• RMweb Gold

Most of my Bowie stuff is on vinyl, with only a few albums on the iPod. Tonight spent a bit on iTunes updating including buying the new album, and a contribution to pushing the great man up the album charts, which is a fitting tribute that this is happening.

Neil

• RMweb Gold

Ditto to that Neil

Space Oddity and Aladdin Sane on vinyl - only greatest hits on CD

Aladdin Sane was I think the album that made a callow teenager brought up in the sheltered Worcestershire countryside realise that there was more to life than trains and fishing when it was the sound track to a sweaty teenage menage a six I was invited to one Saturday evening....

Phil

• RMweb Premium

More of a Mick Ronson man, me. What a pair they made. There is a Classic photo of them in an ECML dining car en route to Spiders gig in Newcastle in full make up. Being an androgynous teen in 1973, what an influence.

http://www.beetlesandhuxley.com/gallery/portraits/david-bowie-and-mick-ronson-1973.html

Dava

• RMweb Gold

He should have been knighted - an amazing guy - but then again he didn't oversee the Conservatives last Election Campaign so of course he wouldn't have been knighted would he!!!!

"Bowie turned down a CBE in 2000, and a knighthood in 2003 with the words: “I seriously don’t know what it’s for.”

A mark of the man I think. It was always about the art more than anything else. As many seem to be saying I wasn't a huge fan either, but there were parts of his catalogue I really liked. I do feel rather shocked and moved by his passing - I suppose we never really saw him age, only change.  

More of a Mick Ronson man, me. What a pair they made.

Like so many of us couldn't/didn't believe the news yesterday morning; will always remember where I was. Shed a few tears last night wathcing the C4 news tribute (even newsreader Cathy Newman's voice was breaking on the next news story and her eyes were welling slightly.) Was a fan from Ziggy to Let's Dance, but wow! what an influence on other music and fashion. He'll be missed.

Interesting coincidence that Mick Ronson also died from liver cancer - but way back in '93.

By the way, Ronson plays some fabulous guitar on Michael Chapman's 1970 album Fully Qualified Survivor.

Mal

It's sad to learn of anyone's passing. He clearly had great influence but I never liked his music much, nor his way of presenting it.

Perhaps it's because I developed my musical tastes a decade earlier and so find blues/rock/electric folk far more to my taste. I could (and still do) relate to the music of the Who, Clapton, Pink Floyd,early Fairport, etc. 

While his music/philosophy was important to many, his death has again highlighted the "celebrity" culture in which we live, with considerable, even excessive, media/airtime spent on the outpourings of public grief. Would he have wanted that?

........for those who where there, the Glass Spider tour:

I saw him on that tour too.

Peter Frampton on lead Guitar along with long time stalwart from the mid 70's and through the 80's, Carlos Alomar.

Carlos Alomar continued to play with Bowie on various occasions into the 90's and in many respects can be considered Bowie's most regular and influential band member.

People are only remembering Mick Ronson from the early 70's, but he was only with Bowie for a few years, albeit on those seminal glam era albums.

More of a Mick Ronson man, me. What a pair they made. There is a Classic photo of them in an ECML dining car en route to Spiders gig in Newcastle in full make up. Being an androgynous teen in 1973, what an influence.

http://www.beetlesandhuxley.com/gallery/portraits/david-bowie-and-mick-ronson-1973.html

Dava

What a great photo but meat and two veg! Not very rock n' roll!

• RMweb Gold

While his music/philosophy was important to many, his death has again highlighted the "celebrity" culture in which we live, with considerable, even excessive, media/airtime spent on the outpourings of public grief. Would he have wanted that?

thing is, and wasn't a fan of bowie to the extent of many on here (i only had his greatest hits and thats only because it was £1 from a charity shop) he truly was a 'proper' celebrity from a different era, from a time when respect was earned from your peers not by how many likes you can get on friendface or chitter

i think they way he went also grabbed a lot of people, i for example didn't know he'd been battling cancer for 18 months, probably coz as he had some dignity he kept under the radar and hadn't been parading himself round every early morning, good morning, slack women type program going for the sympathy vote like some  "x factor on ice in the jungle" wannabes would do if someone called them fat or they broke a nail or something 

so what passes as celeb in this day and age, madame tussauds in london now have mannequins of internet bloggers zoe sugg (zoella) and alfie deyes (pointless blog) the queue to have photos next to them was unreal, nelson mandela and winston churchill, no one waiting i did make me laugh however that one direction on the other hand had no takers for piccies, such is the fickle nature of todays "celeb culture", i did offer to pose for them for a "big jim" dummy because of my colas thread but they said they didnt have enough wax

It's sad to learn of anyone's passing. He clearly had great influence but I never liked his music much, nor his way of presenting it.

Perhaps it's because I developed my musical tastes a decade earlier and so find blues/rock/electric folk far more to my taste. I could (and still do) relate to the music of the Who, Clapton, Pink Floyd,early Fairport, etc. 

I dio agree that the passing of David Bowie doesnt warrant the amount of media attention that it has attracted - something which the man himself would have said so.

That being said, I think that there needs to be some focus on it. Far too many pieces of our cultural tapestry are now being lost without replacement, and i think that Bowie's passing should be mourned at the very least for the fact that he will no longer be around to do more. Its just a terrible shame that such a fountain of creativity and ideas (until his last album, Blackstar) will now be forever silent.

Whatever your views about David Bowie, I have yet to talk to anyone who is anything other than scandalised by the BBC devoting the first 15 minutes of the national news at 6pm to his death – half of the entire bulletin.

This is a classic example of how the medja have lost it – their sense of proportion has totally deserted them, whence their news values have become grotesquely distorted.

In another, related example, we see John Simpson, crime correspondent for The Times respond to the pre-publication of tomorrow's front page of the Financial Times by complaining about the "boring" headline about David Bowie, ignoring the powerful lead story which tells us that Toyota will stay in the UK even if we leave the EU.

• RMweb Gold

Whatever your views about David Bowie, I have yet to talk to anyone who is anything other than scandalised by the BBC devoting the first 15 minutes of the national news at 6pm to his death – half of the entire bulletin.

This is a classic example of how the medja have lost it – their sense of proportion has totally deserted them, whence their news values have become grotesquely distorted.

In another, related example, we see John Simpson, crime correspondent for The Times respond to the pre-publication of tomorrow's front page of the Financial Times by complaining about the "boring" headline about David Bowie, ignoring the powerful lead story which tells us that Toyota will stay in the UK even if we leave the EU.

Quite a few on here.

Can we leave the politics out of this please - if you don't like DB then simply ignore this thread, to be honest I don't want to read about whether people like or dislike the news and it's current headline - that could apply to most subjects, most days. Those who really want the "big" news will find it anyway.

What a great photo but meat and two veg! Not very rock n' roll!

I bet the Mk 1 restaurant car was "rocking and rolling" along the ECML behind (I presume) a Deltic at 100mph. !! (Bowie was London to Aberdeen on this photo).

Maybe this was the influence for "Station to Station" !!

Brit15

He clearly had great influence but I never liked his music much, nor his way of presenting it....

I'm sorry, but why go to the trouble of posting in this thread then?

Whatever your views about David Bowie, I have yet to talk to anyone who is anything other than scandalised by the BBC devoting the first 15 minutes of the national news at 6pm to his death – half of the entire bulletin....

Is an obituary thread really the right place to have a rant about the media?

This is a classic example of how the medja have lost it – their sense of proportion has totally deserted them, whence their news values have become grotesquely distorted.....

Now, what if David Bowie had been a keen railway enthusiast / railway modeller? Would the 15 minutes' news have been any more / less acceptable?

Hmmm....

I bet the Mk 1 restaurant car was "rocking and rolling" along the ECML behind (I presume) a Deltic at 100mph. !! (Bowie was London to Aberdeen on this photo).

Maybe this was the influence for "Station to Station" !!

Brit15

I did wonder if Jack Carter was polishing his spoon a seat or two further down.

Archived