NEW PRODUCTS FOR 2016/7?

Crepello

• RMweb Premium

The Revolution TEA is a model of a prototype of fairly recent construction; what acg5324 means is the 60/70s version that the Poole one is based on. A new one is a must--as is the PGA hopper (loads of liveries, hauled by many locos etc etc; a lots of modellers would buy lots, as they ran/run in block trains.

I also reckon the PTA/JUA aggregate/iron-ore tipplers (how about scale rotary couplings?!!!) would sell well for the same reason. I know kits are available from TPM, but RTR quality is what is required today (IMHO).

I also agree with acg on the Carflat and the ferry van (assume he means the VIX).

Yes the earlier 100 ton tanker, VIX ferry wagon would good. I'd like a Transfesa or Interfrigo one to British n scale.......

A 2EPB and a MLV would accompany my 4CEPS nicely, together with a new 2Hap of course. I'll even buy this in 00 to encourage shrinkage later as I did with the 00 emus.......

Gerry

I'd be very happy to see a 2EPB.  Hoping, if not entirely expecting, that they may take the plunge. And on the topic of SR units, Kernow have repeatedly stated that they have little interest in shrinking their Thumper so I wonder if Farish might do a version in N.  Probably a long shot.  MLV would be quite a (pleasant) surprise too.

There are still a few popular older Poole models that may get re-tooled: 8F, Crab, 94xx, Large Prairie, Peaks.

Maybe we'll see a rebuilt Merchant Navy - the air smoothed versions have gone down very well.  C class was very well received in 00 - wonder if that'll appear?

Is there much in the current catalogue still to hit the shelves?  Std 4 Tank and Panniers are both due soon.  That just leaves the Castle and the Railcar I think so maybe there will be a few new models announced.

The lack of contemporary releases over the last few years has been unsurprising but frustrating. There aren't many commercially viable DMUs or EMUs to model (that run everywhere and have multiple liveries) and even fewer locos. I'd expect the 350 to appear in its SWT 450 guise soon, and imagine the class 800/801 will be a future release, but with Dapol sat on tons of prototypes they've said they'll do but probably just to stop Farish releasing them, it's a bit of a desert for anyone modelling today's railway. Except for Revolution's releases of course!

If the MPV got the shrink ray treatment, I'd be very happy.

David

• Like 2

apparently the 4CEP was a slow seller

David Haarhaus (now Bachmann MD) is on record as saying the OO 4CEP was their most successful selling model of all time. And that despite the unrefurbished version they produced significantly limiting the period in which it ran, reducing the number of potential liveries it carried and keeping its sphere of operation small. Had they produced the refurbished version in N who know how many more would have been sold.

The real problem appears to be a lack of joined up thinking (about product selection) and poor judgement in the liveries models are released in.

G.

Edited by grahame

The real problem appears to be a lack of joined up thinking (about product selection) and poor judgement in the liveries models are released in.

I tend to agree with this. The 4-CEP and Desiro are both lovely models but there is not much else you can run with them to create a complete scene. I suspect Desiro sales may improve a bit with RevolutioN's Pendolino comes out. The 4-CEP really needs a few extra items like the EPB to run alongside.

Hornby have this the right way round, their suburban EMUs can happily co-exist alongside steamers on the long-distance services but the opposite situation is harder. I guess there would have been the odd steam freight alongside the 4-CEPs but it is a bit limiting.

Since we are wishlisting, I have been waiting for City of Truro to go through the shrink-ray ever since the 00 version came out. I would get the late-50s version and some more crimson and cream Hawksworth stock for it to haul.  :locomotive:

Edited by Karhedron

Well the A3 could make sense given the recent return to traffic of Flying Scotsman. What I wouldn't give for a coreless motor loco drive one, double chimney, German smoke deflectors, it would consign my Dapol ones, (nice models though they admittedly are) to live in their boxes....

Roy

Hi Roy,

I think the A3 (and a OO version), and the B.o.B are ripe for cherry picking to be honest and pretty much no brainers for a coreless motor version on both.

as the D&E scene are pretty much taken, the 10000 + 10001 models shrunk from the OO cad make sense to me, as does a coreless motored crab.

Cheers

Dave

Grahame

Where is David Haarhus "on record" as saying such a thing about the 00 4CEP being their "best selling 00 model of all time"?? I take all four of the main monthly magazines and read pretty much all internet forums and have never seen or heard that recorded anywhere.

I would find it very difficult to see how that model (which has had what one or possibly two production runs??) could possibly have come close to selling as many units as a number of of their other 00 locos be they steam or diesel.

To take just two examples, one Diesel and one steam: -

• Class 66. There have been a good number of production runs of this loco in a huge variety of liveries in 00, it must have been made in and sold in the tens of thousands of units since it's introduction and surely far more than the 4CEP?

• LNER B1. I recall talking to Colin Allbright at TINGS a few years back when the Farish B1 was released. When I asked him about being in direct competition with the Dapol model he replied that it was always one of the more popular models in the 00 range so why wouldn't they produce it? That B1 has been in the 00 range for many years (maybe from the start of Bachmann Industries Europe) and released in many incarnations. It was recently given a re-engineered chassis. Same question applies....

Please do clarify..

Regards

Roy

Edited by Roy L S

• RMweb Gold

After the lean pickings of the last couple of years, I'm not expecting a lot this time around either. I would be very surprised if we see more than a couple of new locos announced. 

A new Class 158 must be a strong possibility, with work underway on a new OO version and the current Farish one being somewhat long in the tooth. It also polled in the 10 ten most wanted of the most recent wishlist poll.

Class 117. Perhaps, given the OO announcement and it being number 4 in the most wanted list.

The Rebuilt Merchant Navy, Crab & 8F are about the only remaining steam outline models from the Poole era, and with a Crab already being in the OO range that probably gives it an edge over the 8F, however neither came in the top ten most wanted with the N15 being the only steam engine to feature there. With that in the Hornby range and the prospect of them moving into the N Gauge market further, I could understand Bachmann staying clear of it. The MN wasn't far behind, but we've only just had the original version released. 

There are some smaller engines from the OO range which now might be possible with the switch to the Next18 style decoders, but I wonder if the demand for something such as the C Class is strong enough in N. It wasn't even in the top 50 most wanted. 

Anyway, who really knows except those at Barwell. I await 1st March with interest, and a faint hope that something might be relevant to my needs!

Tom. 

Where is David Haarhus "on record" as saying such a thing about the 00 4CEP being their "best selling 00 model of all time"?? I take all four of the main monthly magazines and read pretty much all internet forums and have never seen or heard that recorded anywhere.

You obviously don't read wide enough or everything - but then I guess not everyone does or can. The comment was made to Tom Harwin in an exclusive interview published in UPDate magazine. Mention of it was also made in the NGS Journal which no doubt you would have received a copy of.

G.

After the lean pickings of the last couple of years, I'm not expecting a lot this time around either. I would be very surprised if we see more than a couple of new locos announced.

I agree - the era of N gauge model locos appears to be coming to an end. However, there is still probably about three years worth of bagged, announced and in development locos (both steam and diesel). And then, I guess, we'll return to the times when there would only be one or two new locos launched a year.

However, there is still a potential market for N gauge with freight stock and multiple units that has yet to be exploited.

G.

Thank you Grahame.

Yes indeed I do receive my Journal regular a clockwork, and enjoy reading it - you do a great job. I do not recall the comment about the 00 CEP in it - can you confirm which one it was as I will go back and re-read.

I still find it hard to understand how it would be physically possible for it to out sell models in production for so much longer which undoubtedly as a consequence had significantly more units produced and I really cannot see it out selling their 66.

What I could understand better would be an unprecedented spike in initial sales given the "niche" nature of the model.

Personally I would love a 2BIL as a "Rule 1" purchase but I just can't see it happening. As has already been alluded I think pickings will remain thin as far as any 2016 releases are concerned.

Regards

Roy

I agree - the era of N gauge model locos appears to be coming to an end. However, there is still probably about three years worth of bagged, announced and in development locos (both steam and diesel). And then, I guess, we'll return to the times when there would only be one or two new locos launched a year.

However, there is still a potential market for N gauge with freight stock and multiple units that has yet to be exploited.

G.

I'd have thought there's quite a lot of smaller steam engines to make to give the modeller a chance to create a plausible historical model and to close the gap between N and OO.

Edited by Anglian

Agreed.

Few Diesels left to do aside from sub-classes but plenty of steam locos, in fact many from the existing 00 range to potentially still go through the "shrink ray".

OK, so some may be more marginal in the smaller N market and some types are already taken by Union Mills.

Smaller simpler locos may make sense if the Market is becoming more price-sensitive, especially where as far as larger locos are concerned we seem to be edging closer to a £200 price ticket.

I do have a concern re: DMUs and EMUs, where we are seeing a price of over £140 for a two car unit and plus £150 for three cars. When prices took the big "hike" these were hit harder than anything else so are they more of a risk now from a manufacturer's perspective?

Roy

• RMweb Gold

Roy

The simple answer on MU prices is if people are logical then they shouldn't be. A 2/3/4 car MU is a whole train (though sometimes you need more than one) whereas a £100 loco still needs stock unless you just want a light loco. So although the initial price might be slightly higher the total cost of the complete train might be the same or lower.

Cheers Mike

Hi Mike

You make a fair point but surely that "whole train" argument could be seen as a disadvantage too?

I can buy a loco (Let's say a J39 as one is sitting on my test track next to me) for around £100. With that loco I can then buy a coach and have a train for £120, arguably a comparable to the DMU for about £20 less. I later add a few wagons and Instantly two trains. The single loco is more versatile, a 2 car DMU is a DMU and that's it. I can't add to it a wagon at a time or whatever. It cannot be employed on a range of duties whereas a loco can.

I am a fan of DMUs (went to Senior school on a 115 every day) and would love the range to grow, but I do think some people will think twice at over £140 for a 2 car DMU. Where I can see them as especially advantageous is for a factory fit sound (in fact I think the 108 has a speaker space) and maybe that will be an avenue to leverage more??

Regards

Roy 

I tend to agree with the view that there won't be a huge amount of genuinely new stuff but from memory it's only the 40 and the J72 amongst the locos that we've yet to see an EP for so I live in hope for a few bits and pieces.

With most of the existing (loco) promises delivered now or well on the way I wouldn't mind a bit less announced if it meant we saw it in the shops sooner.

no idea on the steamers but the 158 must have a fair chance and  the enthusiasm for the Pendalino might make the 90 being upgraded a possibility too.

With 2 first generation DMUs already on the books, I do wonder whether the average Farish customer (as opposed to those on here) would appreciate the subtle differences enough to make another such as the 117 viable in Bachman's mind when it comes to N.

Don't know much about 3rd rail electric stuff either but always fancied building something small to go with the 73 I've got and 33 I'll no doubt get. For me the CEP is too big but a 2 coach EMU and/or the MLV would convince me. Whether there are enough like me to make it viable is another matter.

The wagon i'd really like to see scaled down is the OTA, often wondered why that's never happened, would go well with the 37/4 to pick up Grahame's point on joined up thinking - Might be one for Ben and Mike to think about if it doesn't appear?

Also I'd like to see more train packs, especially one based on the OO Highlander set, but there still seems to be a lot of stock around of the existing ones so maybe not that popular as a concept?

The only thing I'm sure of is that, like every year, I'll have guessed wrong come announcement day.

Rob

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Roy: If you're only buying one thing ever then yes, an 0-6-0 and some wagons (or in my case a 66 and some wagons) is the logical place to start. But once you've got that train, and you want another, then a DMU becomes attractive as it's something different.

And, like you, many of us remember riding on DMUs when younger and for that reason would select a model.

David: I think an MPV in N is unlikely as I believe the OO version has not sold especially well, despite almost universal agreement that it's a superb model.

I certainly agree that in many ways the Farish range has seemed a little disjointed at times, and although not for me I would have thought that the 2-EPB to go with the 4-CEP would be very sensible.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

I do have a concern re: DMUs and EMUs, where we are seeing a price of over £140 for a two car unit and plus £150 for three cars.

Those prices strike me as absolute bargain prices for a complete train when many steam locos are £136 (discounted price) and on top of that you need to spend a further £70 to form just a three coach train.

G.

With that loco I can then buy a coach and have a train for £120, arguably a comparable to the DMU for about £20 less. I later add a few wagons and Instantly two trains.

Not really, certainly not quite the same as having two MUs - where you would then have two trains that you can run simultaneously, but with just one loco and a few coaches/wagons you could only run one train at a time. Besides, a three car class 101 is less than £120 at Hattons along with the new Dapol Pacer 142 (2 car) having a scheduled price of £91 rather than the prices you mentioned. And I don't think that railway modelling is quite as price elastic as you infer.

G.

I tend to agree with the view that there won't be a huge amount of genuinely new stuff but from memory it's only the 40 and the J72 amongst the locos that we've yet to see an EP for so I live in hope for a few bits and pieces.

Don't forget that there's more than just Farish in the N gauge market promising things. I can think of at least 16 announced locos that are not yet on sale - that's more than 5 a year if they all get launched in the next three years. Plus on top are several MUs. And even with Farish it often takes a year from seeing undecorated EPs until they get to market.

G.

Edited by grahame

Hello again Grahame

As far as locos were concerned I was not considering the heavily discounted prices. Were I to have done that I could have had my J39 for £80 from Hattons, bung in a Mk 1 BCK for £20, a couple of 16 tonners at £8.46 each and a Brake van at £11. The 3 Car 101 you refer to is a comparatively good buy at £118.96 but then of course it is the much less popular Blue/Grey livery hence the cheap price, green ones having sold out long ago.  

Your argument relating to having two MUs appears somewhat flawed. Were that the comparison I would for the same money have (say) 2 J39s and proportionately more rolling stock - two trains and two locos, not two (by comparison) inflexible passenger trains.

I do, having said the above, accept that dependent on the eras people model such a comparison may be largely irrelevant, it was more reflecting the current cost of a 2 car DMU (which have risen a great deal more) against what alternatives could be bought for the same money.

It is though maybe interesting to reflect that none of the announced 101/108 models that are yet to be released by Bachmann are three car, so maybe they too see N Gauge DMU models as reaching the top end of their realistic price envelope??

I respect that you, Mike, Ben and doubtless others see things differently, but the comparison is still in my view a valid one. I guess the big question is how to design in lower cost without compromising quality significantly. 

Regards

Roy