C+L 00 gauge ready to lay turnout

hayfield

Dave

Most use RTR flexitrack which is of course 16.5, there are those of us who subscribe to flare the gauge back within the turnout, others do this with plain track. I use 16.2 through the common crossing, through the last 3 sleepers at the heal end and 5 sleepers to the middle (rail joint)

post-1131-0-13464200-1454019540.jpg

Used a 16.5 gauge to make the flare from the common crossing at the heal end, and fixed the other end till the arrow as I need the rest of the rail loose

As I am using all the special switch chairs to set where the rails go, this is the sequence needed

post-1131-0-72404700-1454019549.jpg

The straight switch rail is stuck in place up to the rail join

post-1131-0-71990300-1454019577.jpg

Next the inside pieces of 2 block chairs fitted as this sets the gauge from the stock rail

post-1131-0-03080300-1454019618.jpg

Now the 2 centre parts of the block chairs are fitted, now leave to set whilst waiting make the other switch rail. This overhead view clesrly shows both block chairs

As you can see we are using the chairs to set the rails. More tomorrow as I am knackered  

post-1131-0-26073700-1454101193.jpg

The curved switch rail has been added, the crossing is 16.2 so the first chair is fitted to that gauge. We will gage from the stock rail up to the arrow

post-1131-0-99210500-1454101204.jpg

Next I use the standard 16.5 mm roller gauge up to the arrow

post-1131-0-47000800-1454101222.jpg

Now from the other side, the rail is fitted to the block chairs, the other stock rail now will hopefully be in gauge when pushed against the block chairs on the straight switch rail.

As the stock rail needs to be gauged with the switch rail I will let the first set of chairs on the curved switch rail set hard, so now I will make the check rails

My maths were awful about the ply timbers, they cost £8.50 for 50 x 29cm. This is enough for appx 14 turnouts, so the amount used is about 61p

Back to the basics

Plastic fret        £2.43

Rail                  £1.32

3 bolt chairs     £1.70

Bridge chairs   £0.43

Slide chairs      £1.19

Check Chairs   £1.35

Crossing Chairs £1.15

Switch Chairs  £2.25

Fishplates       £0.50

To date I have spent £12.32 on parts plus a few pence spent on a couple of etched fishplates, solvent, flux and solder. I think if you compared this turnout against a ready to lay large radius point, the costings must be similar, and hardly done any extensive engineering, just a couple of pleasant (for me) hours modelling. I must admit to being a modeller rather than a player

Using ply timbers would bring the cost down. I need to work out the tiebar, a piece of copperclad is very little and a couple of brass slide chairs are £1.70.

Now as you can see if you are going to make a few turnouts then buying the components is the best way to go. You could reduce the cost by not using the switch and crossing chairs, but the level of detail would be less. Other than soldering the Vee and the bonding/dropper wires the rails have been held in place with chairs. Whilst my filing jigs makes life much easier they are not essential. Gauge(s) are a must but no other special tools are needed.

Now off to make the check rails

are you cutting up C&L P4 check chairs ?

dave

Dave 

NO, I have said before here and on two other threads, whilst C&L in Bristol and the main stand are out of stock. The London stand has supplies of 0.8 mm check chairs.

The London stand is at Southampton show today and tomorrow and Phil still had a few packets after St Albans show. He has no facility to do mail order and I doubt if any can be returned to Bristol HQ, if you cannot get to Southampton try asking a RMweb member to pick some up for you

Doubt if the new stock will be too far away to be re-stocked, for some reason Peter has to see the injection moulders as there is an issue with the mould

I think I said you may be able to use the P4 ones (they are the 0.64 mm marked S4 on the rear of the sprue) I have a feeling I may have used the odd sprue in error in the past as I do use the 0.8 for DOGA intermediate which has a 1.25 mm check gap. At worst you may need to use a tiny bit of filler. I don't bother with filling the gap in 00 intermediate as it still looks far superior than cut up standard chairs

One thing I may offer a few RMwebbers once supplies are back to normal, is a small pack at cost + postage of a set of check chairs, a set of 1-5, 1-6 or 1-10 (I have a few of these spare) crossing chairs, a few bridge chairs and a few plastic fishplates. All the builder requires are the timbers, standard chairs, slide chairs which most would either have in a kit or buy separately, and if required they can buy a pack of switch chairs (they come in 2's anyway) from C+L.

Happy to help out those wanting to dip their toe in the water. If anyone lives near me happy to help out where I can

post-1131-0-33827300-1454154754.jpg

This shows the dodge in fitting the 0.8 mm check chairs, thread 3 check chairs on to the check rail and cut through the unused part (keep the chairs)

post-1131-0-90423100-1454154770.jpg

On the right you can see the check rails being fitted using check rail gauges, the chairs seem to expand nearly to 1 mm anyway

The centre roller gauge makes sure the 4 chairs left of the arrow are to gauge (to the curved switch rail), as it happens the block chairs have separated the curved rails (switch & stock) to 16.5 mm as required. The 2 left hand roller gauges hold the last 2 chairs in gauge. Don't glue the slide chairs yet, let all set hard first

post-1131-0-96737500-1454154780.jpg

Now using a roller gauge with a flat filed on the outer rim place it next to the stock gauge (arrow makes the red line clearer) and glue the slide chairs. This sets the set angle correctly

post-1131-0-07861600-1454154795.jpg

Overhead view showing the different chairs, just need to build the chaired slide chair (PL2)on the curved stock rail, then make and fit the sleeper acting as the tiebar

The first thing is all the chairs are acting functionally. No real special tools used, and at a skill level most could easily copy. (I think I should send a kit to Coachman, looking at what he does with coaches he could do this in his sleep (sorry Larry))I am beginning to think its actually easier than soldering copperclad turnouts

Please fire away with any questions you may have, this is so easy to do but I find it difficult to explain

Hi John,

I was looking at the C&L pre-assembled B-6 turnout and I count a total of 32 timbers. That might be a bit too many for a B-6 in 00. I think it should be 29. On the other hand, a P4 B-6 would have 32 timbers.

Do you happen to have a 00 B-6 template?

Cheers!

Andy

Hi John,

I was looking at the C&L pre-assembled B-6 turnout and I count a total of 32 timbers. That might be a bit too many for a B-6 in 00. I think it should be 29. On the other hand, a P4 B-6 would have 32 timbers.

You don't suppose the photo on the website might actually be a P4 turnout?

Cheers!

Andy

Andy

This is my photo of the 00 gauge turnout, don't think its a standard C&L plan

post-1131-0-10683000-1454829855_thumb.jpg

32 sleepers

• RMweb Gold

Martin will explain

I know nothing. I wasn't even there. smile.gif

The original C&L 00 templates are 7:8 reductions of the P4 templates, so they have exactly the same number of timbers.

In other words they are 3.5mm/ft drawings of REA 4ft-8.5in pointwork (with a few minor errors -- the crossing chairs are shown square-on to the timbers instead of being skewed to the centre-line of the crossing).

I don't know how they compare with the latest Exactoscale 00 templates.

By default the Templot 00 templates are 4mm/ft diagrams of REA 4ft-1.5in pointwork.

If you want the equivalent of the C&L templates in Templot, select H0 in the gauge list instead of 00.

regards,

Martin.

I know nothing. I wasn't even there. smile.gif

The original C&L 00 templates are 7:8 reductions of the P4 templates, so they have exactly the same number of timbers.

In other words they are 3.5mm/ft drawings of REA 4ft-8.5in pointwork (with a few minor errors -- the crossing chairs are shown square-on to the timbers instead of being skewed to the centre-line of the crossing).

I don't know how they compare with the latest Exactoscale 00 templates.

By default the Templot 00 templates are 4mm/ft diagrams of REA 4ft-1.5in pointwork.

If you want the equivalent of the C&L templates in Templot, select H0 in the gauge list instead of 00.

regards,

Martin.

Hi Martin,

That is very interesting. And it is clearly labeled  'OO' too. No wonder people get confused :)

The proportions look about right which suggests that the timbers might not be 4 mm wide either.

Thanks and regards,

Andy

This is possibly the wrong topic to ask this question but as there are members here building points some one may know the answer.  What is the standard (recommended) movement for the switch blades?  There is no mention of this in the EM gauge society notes.  I have also spoken with members of the 2mm fs  group and again they have no set standard.  I seem to remember from BR drawings a setting of 5"  ie 1.66mm in P4  The usual reply I get when asking the question is  " same as the check rails" whick is obviously wrong as there is no angled lead in on the switch blades.

Over to you

Norman

PS I model in EM

• RMweb Gold

This is possibly the wrong topic to ask this question but as there are members here building points some one may know the answer.  What is the standard (recommended) movement for the switch blades?

Hi Norman,

The prototypical switch opening is 4.1/4" at the tips, which in 4mm/ft scales to 1.42mm. The minimum clearance required all along behind the open blade is 2".

However, because of the need in EM and 4-SF (00-SF) to have a wider than scale flangeway all along behind the open blade (1.0mm = 3"), the usual practice is to make the opening 1.75mm, which is easily set using the thickness of a 20p coin.

In P4 you can get closer to a scale opening, say 1.5mm. For 00-BF and 00-Intermediate, an opening of 2mm is usual.

regards,

Martin.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Martin. I still find it strange that none of the fine scale societies have this info in their standards.

Hi Norman,

It is discussed on page 103 of the 2mm Scale Association's handbook on Track. But the dimension given there as 4.1/2" is incorrect (it should be 4.1/4", see page 82 of BRT3, and other REA drawings), and the suggested 0.7mm dimension for 2mm scale is described as "somewhat overscale" when in fact it is underscale at 2mm/ft. It is easy to see why folks get confused.

regards,

Martin.

Archived