Oxford Rail announces - OO gauge GWR Dean Goods

MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Gold

From Hattons shot of the production loco, it looks like the rivet acne problem might have been addressed but the firebox still looks a little creased and the cabside lining a little heavy-handed.  Well, now its at the retailers, we'll have to see what the early adopters think....

That might still be pre-production model shots as per the BR version. If not, it looks like they haven't touched the cab profile or the washout plugs.

• RMweb Gold

Picture three has the famed Hattons steel rule, these are Hattons pics not Oxford, that is the real deal.

The ruler doesn't tell you anything, 2409 is a Hattons pic and has a ruler by it but is clearly stated as a pre-production model.

Apologies, looks like you're right.  It also no longer states that it is a pre-production model.

Also, the whistles on 2309 (s/L) are swapped around compared with 2409 (L/s).  I think that whistle position was one of the minor bones of contention...

Guest 7007GreatWestern

Regarding 2409 (the BR Black one): According to Hattons it will be available between July and September. It hasn't arrived yet. The photos on the Hattons website are of a pre-production specimen. The photos of the lined green one are the real deal however. It looks like they have swapped the whistles around on the cab roof and it looks like they have done something about the erroneous rivets on the splashers though it's hard to tell at that resolution. I think the firebox profile IS better that the very early samples, though nothing appears to have been done about the washout plugs.

Well it's beginning to look like the problems have not been addressed, or full correction restricted to the NRM version. Some items seem corrected, but the firebox is still odd, as long as these really are production shots.

• RMweb Gold

I happened to be in Lord and Butler when theirs arrived this afternoon. Only the lined green version will be available for a while yet.

We got one out to examine it and test run. Sorry, forgot to take any dodgy snaps on my phone.

Overall impression is decent.

The lining is very well done, cab detail, fallplate etc is  v good.  The cabside numberplate looks better to me than the recent DJM attempt, but not as good as etched would be. The green is a bit richer than the anaemic Hornby version, but no where near as rich as Bachmann usually use. The handrail is painted green, even round the front past the smokebox.....which looks odd (and in the shop fluorescent looked a slightly lighter brighter shade than the body.)

It ran very nicely even straight from the box, and quietly. Seemed a bit less weighty than I would have liked, not terrible though, but I'm sure people can add weight if required. Only tested light engine on straight track.

The boiler washout plugs are still behind the handrails. Couldn't remember what the problem was with the cab cut out or firebox shape, so can't comment.

As has been stated before, it will be good enough for a lot of people, but not for others. Having sold my hideously noisy Mainline one a while ago, I'll probably get a black one when they arrive.

PS Just found the pics on Hattons website. That's what I was looking at.......

Edited by Tim Hall

It ran very nicely even straight from the box, and quietly. Seemed a bit less weighty than I would have liked, not terrible though, but I'm sure people can add weight if required. Only tested light engine on straight track.

The boiler washout plugs are still behind the handrails. Couldn't remember what the problem was with the cab cut out or firebox shape, so can't comment.

Tim

Thanks for the information re running qualities, most useful. I don't think weight will be a problem for me as long as it can cope with a couple of Hornby Colletts or 5 to 10 wagons I'll be happy. And I'm really not bothered about washout plugs, reversing levers or whether the drivers cap is the wrong shape...................

Like you, just have to be patient for the black one.............

Cheers

• Like 2

the firebox is still odd

But not as odd as the completely missing section of the boiler.  It didn't look so obvious in earlier photos, but that side-on Hereford Models photo makes it look very stark to me.

David

But not as odd as the completely missing section of the boiler.  It didn't look so obvious in earlier photos, but that side-on Hereford Models photo makes it look very stark to me.

David

It's not missing, it's a different section of model, that's the join line. 

Oh and I've decided to buy both the lined one and the locomotion one - the locomotion one will be the actual end locomotive, the lined one is going to be dissected to provide a tender for my backdated mainline loco and a top feed for the locomotion model. The rest of the body will be sold, and the chassis used as a basis for a Cambrian Large Belpaire Goods. 

Guest 7007GreatWestern

Pictures now up on Rails of Sheffield's site:-

https://www.railsofsheffield.com/dean-goods-2309-gwr-dcc-sound-or76dg001xs-oxford-rail-JJJA31093.aspx

These images are considerably detailed than what we have seen so far - I retract what I said earlier about the erroneous rivets on the splashers having been corrected.

My own view on this model, for what it's worth, is that it captures the general look, character and proportions of the prototype well and when the black version appears I'll be having one. Errors aside, it LOOKS like a Dean Goods (in late condition) to me. I am left wondering however why the inordinate delay in the release of these models when little if anything seems to have been done to rectify the errors in the tooling. These models were at one stage reported to be on ship and bound for UK back in November I think.......

Complete with gold chimney cap...

Very....  colourful!

Looks like the minimum amount of detailing will have to be an all-over wash with the sooty brush (not a toboldlygo layer of grunge, just a toning down of the metallic effects and an oily sheen for the paintwork), plus some decent numberplates for the cabsides.

Then we'll get out the crate of cider...

• Like 1

Which one of the OR Deans Goods has the correct tender ?

They all have the same 2500g tender, not always easy to tell if your chosen prototype should be so matched but the majority of the class seems to have had them. To go with M&M No.10 I will need to remove the coal plates and replace with rails.