Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Oxford Rail announces - OO gauge GWR Dean Goods

MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Gold

As for that drive, the frame layout and dimensions are Swindon's copy of Crewe's highly standardised 0-6-0 production, a widely admired success. They were not the only works to pick up on what Crewe had achieved, so there are many other subjects out there that will take the 7'3"+8'3" and 5'2" wheel that this mechanism should have. If the motor is low enough it might go in a Doncaster type like the LNER J3 should I ever fancy one of those.

I doubt they were copying what Crewe did as Swindon were building 0-6-0 engines with a very similar wheelbase in 1847, just a difference of an inch or two, no more. (7ft 1" + 8ft 4").  There is a very good reason for similar wheelbases occurring on different railways and, apart from possibly copying features from outside builders, the question of the Bridge Curve and weight distribution was fairly important however the main reason for a longer wheelbase behind the second axle was the need to accommodate the firebox and ashpan so boiler dimensions also played a part.

Not many out there producing a tender engine retailing under 100 notes these days... Doubt even Hornby could do that with their existing dean goods. .

The selling price of anything clearly does not necessarily solely reflect the manufacturing cost but is also highly dependent on the market into which it is being sold and the margin above cost which the manufacturer/seller wishes to achieve.  I doubt that an 0-6-0 tender engine, with limited separately attached detail actually has a  production cost little different from another one of similar specification - the cost goes up with the specification for greater detail and more separately attached items or a more complex livery.

What makes the difference in the UK retail price is really how quickly and over how many models the 'manufacturer'/commissioner wants to make a  return on their investment (hence commissioned models tend to have higher prices and not get discounted) and what cash flow etc they want from the model plus of course their particular marketing model.  In Oxford's case their marketing model is pretty clear - to get established in the market they are keeping prices down and accepting a  lower margin on each item plus their overheads are substantially lower than, say, Hornby's or Bachmann's (for example it appears they don't spend as much time and money on research as those two concerns).

To me the model looks better than the airfix one. The price is ok. I will be wanting a black one.

You can always improve any model no matter how good it is.

So 3 ticks from me.

I may want to replace the printed cab side number with an etched one, otherwise I think it's all good.

Not many out there producing a tender engine retailing under 100 notes these days... Doubt even Hornby could do that with their existing dean goods. I wil be looking to see if that 0-6-0 chassis could be a source for some other small 0-6-0 kits I have too.

I presume a WD / ROD version may be forthcoming ?, maybe one or two other "war related" international liveries..., this being one of a few UK classes to have operated on 3 continents.. and through enemy capture or resale, some made it too quite exotic locations for this class including Russia, Poland, Tunisia, Turkey quite a few ended up in China ! - having been used in both World Wars...indeed nearly 1/3rd the fleet never returned to the UK.

Some links from other parts of rmweb here..

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/100333-tales-of-war-and-peace-part-2-snowhillroxey-mouldings-wd-austerity-2-10-0-in-7mm/&do=findComment&comment=1936103

Also a few pictures from a French forum..

http://forum.e-train.fr/album_mod/upload/grandes/4c09d5b218266df17e8d0b6bb1b84648.jpg

http://forum.e-train.fr/album_mod/upload/fd281b12a9da3f73baa174c7f64fb175.jpg

Well, apart from the extraneous pipework, fig 8 is the only sane loco in the lot and might almost be a...  ummm... Dean Goods.....  :jester:

I pity the crew on the footplate of fig 7 however, I bet that lashed around something wicked!

(And what in gods name is that dustbin on fig 6???)

• RMweb Gold

Well, apart from the extraneous pipework, fig 8 is the only sane loco in the lot and might almost be a...  ummm... Dean Goods.....  :jester:

I pity the crew on the footplate of fig 7 however, I bet that lashed around something wicked!

Figure 7 is a typical 'Stephenson long boiler' 0-6-0 layout with the firebox behind the rear axle although I bet the outside cylinders gave it something of a wiggle.

As for that drive, the frame layout and dimensions are Swindon's copy of Crewe's highly standardised 0-6-0 production, a widely admired success. They were not the only works to pick up on what Crewe had achieved, so there are many other subjects out there that will take the 7'3"+8'3" and 5'2" wheel that this mechanism should have. If the motor is low enough it might go in a Doncaster type like the LNER J3 should I ever fancy one of those.

Oh, no, another case of "Premier Line Complex"

"Nurse! Nurse! Over here!"

Edited by Edwardian

It shows how lucky we were with the genius of those who designed some of the majestic engines on our wonderful railway.

It shows how lucky we were with the genius of those who designed some of the majestic engines on our wonderful railway.

Agree, except, of course, it's not our wonderful railway. it's God's

And He might just smite Mr Oxford if he doesn't sort that firebox out!

• Like 2

Had a quick flick through the July Railway Modeller this afternoon. On pages 632-2 theres a spread on Oxford Rails progress and announcments. In the section dealing with the Dean Goods, there's mention of a number of revisions to be made before production approval.  This might mean an attempt to deal with the lower firebox and the colour but all that is specifically mentioned is "the incorrectly placed cabside numberplates".

We'll just have to wait and see...

Offler.

Actually, by Pratchett's theology if enough people worship something it becomes a god, so the GWR is in there with a solid shout...

But that also means that Flying Scotsman is probably already a Small God.

Which Will Not DO!

I can see it now. There'd be a Temple. In a Meadow somewhere...

Sounds like a cue for a song...

Theres a Temple, by a Meadow

In Bristol by the Avon

And its all full of engines, little engines all the same.

There's some green ones, a few red ones, and even several black ones.

And they all pull little boxes, little boxes all the time.

• Like 2

Sounds like a cue for a song...

Theres a Temple, by a Meadow

In Bristol by the Avon

And its all full of engines, little engines all the same.

There's some green ones, a few red ones, and even several black ones.

And they all pull little boxes, little boxes all the time.

And did Broad Gauge in ancient times,

Run to the West from Paddington?

And were those steeds of fiery mien

Through England’s pleasant pastures seen?

Had a quick flick through the July Railway Modeller this afternoon. On pages 632-2 theres a spread on Oxford Rails progress and announcments. In the section dealing with the Dean Goods, there's mention of a number of revisions to be made before production approval.  This might mean an attempt to deal with the lower firebox and the colour but all that is specifically mentioned is "the incorrectly placed cabside numberplates".

We'll just have to wait and see...

These days, despite the effort, toil, care and investment, there are no prizes for a 'mainly accurate' locomotive.

To some extent I have been reacting to the view, expressed by those with doubtless greater knowledge than I of such things, that the firebox faux pas was something too late to cure without major expense.  If Oxford is willing to make the revision, then obviously I would be thrilled and all sins will be forgiven.

Mind you, in that case I think Oxford will be responsible for generating what will have been a lot of unnecessary concern over their intentions and their basic competence in this field; one might fairly argue that to post a pre-production version in lime green with a misshapen firebox was brave to the point of foolhardiness!

They may yet try to sell us this very thing, however!

As you say, we'll just have to wait and see ...

• Like 3

And did Broad Gauge in ancient times,

Run to the West from Paddington?

And were those steeds of fiery mien

Through England’s pleasant pastures seen?

Bring my  rails of burnished steel

Bring IKB to thought inspire

Bring Fireflys and Iron Dukes

Bring me my Chariots of Fire!

Bridge Maidenhead with arch so flat

And pierce Box Hill with elegance

We'll build the GWR

Through Englands Green and Pleasant Land!

Ahem.....

Perhaps things are getting a tad overwrought? 

• Like 4

Heterodox I am afraid. Broad is the path that leads to destruction. But happily they repented, and adopted the narrower orthodoxy of St George. A certain well known clergyman made a very good sermon out of this.

An early example of a superior technology being ousted by an inferior one with more muscle :nono: