Oxford Rail announces - OO gauge GWR Dean Goods

MGR Hooper!

• 1 month later...

If it is aimed at the collectors market, why bother to call it a Dean Goods? Why not A Typical Great British Heritage steam puffer from that fabled industrial unit at Swindon.

Ok, I'm a bit late getting around to this, but surely ATGBHSPFTFIUAS is a Leonardo da Quirmism for a "GWR Dean Goods"?

Oh well.

Where's the froth gone?

According to Hattons, we're midway in their Dean Goods arrival continuum, there's no word from Oxford Rail as to actual progress and no-ones getting excited.

Or is everyone off on their Holidays?  :sungum:

Ok, I'm a bit late getting around to this, but surely ATGBHSPFTFIUAS is a Leonardo da Quirmism for a "GWR Dean Goods"?

Oh well.

Where's the froth gone?

According to Hattons, we're midway in their Dean Goods arrival continuum, there's no word from Oxford Rail as to actual progress and no-ones getting excited.

Or is everyone off on their Holidays?  :sungum:

Indeed.

On the basis that Oxford, having told me that they would correct the reference to "Deans" Goods on their website, have evidently failed to do so (http://www.oxfordrail.com/76/OR76DG.htm), I am bound to wonder whether the design team has ignored the point about the incorrect fire-box profile. Hubris, incompetence, or am I worrying unnecessarily?

Trouble is, I won't pre-order until I see that the problem has been corrected.   The profile is clearly wrong.  Oxford should have spotted it.  They say they hadn't, but they have been told.  No excuse if they muck it up now.

It has gone awfully quite, the last update on the website "release notes" appears to have been January. We cannot tell, therefore, how well Oxford's "Pursuit of Excellence" is going.  I hope they catch it in time, that's all.

As for Deans, some may say the odd misplaced letter here or there is trivial.  But it suggests a lack of attention to detail.  What if tomorrow, it's not a misplaced letter but a misplaced rivet [horror]?!?  It's important to get the exact details right in this game, even down to the spelling, lest you find yourself merely in pursuit of excrement.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Indeed.

On the basis that Oxford, having told me that they would correct the reference to "Deans" Goods on their website, have evidently failed to do so (http://www.oxfordrail.com/76/OR76DG.htm), I am bound to wonder whether the design team has ignored the point about the incorrect fire-box profile. Hubris, incompetence, or am I worrying unnecessarily?

Trouble is, I won't pre-order until I see that the problem has been corrected.   The profile is clearly wrong.  Oxford should have spotted it.  They say they hadn't, but they have been told.  No excuse if they muck it up now.

It has gone awfully quite, the last update on the website "release notes" appears to have been January. We cannot tell, therefore, how well Oxford's "Pursuit of Excellence" is going.  I hope they catch it in time, that's all.

As for Deans, some may say the odd misplaced letter here or there is trivial.  But it suggests a lack of attention to detail.  What if tomorrow, it's not a misplaced letter but a misplaced rivet [horror]?!?  It's important to get the exact details right in this game, even down to the spelling, lest you find yourself merely in pursuit of excrement.

It could of course also be a grammatical error (as in Dean's Goods), but whichever - it hardly seems a pursuit of either linguistic or modelmaking excellence but we can really only judge the latter when it is available to look at in its finished condition (assuming that is any different from their most recent illustration).

I've stopped frothing because I've decided it's no use to me, in its current form anyway, as there's not room on the layout for a tender loco of any sort. It might be nice to have one on a future layout I've got in mind, but that will have to be as running in 1890 or earlier, and be in P4, so unless Oxford produce a version in that condition, I may as well use my part converted Mainline one.

• RMweb Premium

It could of course also be a grammatical error (as in Dean's Goods), but whichever - it hardly seems a pursuit of either linguistic or modelmaking excellence but we can really only judge the latter when it is available to look at in its finished condition (assuming that is any different from their most recent illustration).

We don't generally refer to a loco as in the possessive, we normally say a Stanier Black 5 or a Gresley A4 (or indeed William Morris Strawberry Thief or the Hansom Cab) etc. so Oxford quite clearly don't understand the nuance in the description.

Keith

• RMweb Gold

I'm waiting for the DB version..... Deenz Guts for my German shed :)

Yours

Frau Line

Spot on mein herr.  Believe it or not - and it comes from a contemporaneous record so it should be correct - the first British ROD engine to work into Germany and cross the Rhine after the 1918 Armistice was a Dean Goods

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Spot on mein herr.  Believe it or not - and it comes from a contemporaneous record so it should be correct - the first British ROD engine to work into Germany and cross the Rhine after the 1918 Armistice was a Dean Goods

Some also got there in WWII

Keith

When I was at the Bar in the north-west, there was a story of a Liverpool Barrister who was supposed to visit Germany for some reason in the Thirties, but was not keen on going.  On his Visa application he answered as follows:

Have you visited Germany previously, and, if so, when?  Yes.  1918

Capacity in which you visited Germany?  Conqueror

I believe the application was refused.

Sounds like the sort of thing FE Smith would have said.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

I did ask Oxford Rail some time ago about the availability schedule quoted by Hattons, but they didn't want to confirm or deny.

Given the concerns raised a few months ago by residents of this parish about the firebox shape, we might be lucky to get one by Xmas, which would then interfere with certain revised Hornby delivery dates...

After the comments about the shape of the firebox one would have thought that somebody at Oxford had taken notice about it and corrected the problem, but at the moment they seem to be pressing on regardless. My orders for them will be withdrawn if the pictures are confirmed as the production item.

They simply should not be making a scale model with the wrong firebox, it is going to affect sales, but perhaps and hopefully to a minor degree, but all sales are important.

Unfortunately this mistake is going to be remembered, not for the errors, but the lack of response or action from Oxford, which will taint future products as well.

Stephen.

• Like 1

At least I don't have to worry about wrong fireboxes and stuff any more, and I can sit back and watch everyone else froth about it :). Or even whether I can make a decent job of converting it to EM, and backdating to 1905, with added Indian red paint and changes to the tender livery. It won't fit in the runround on my layout, so problem solved!

In the longer term, I may want a Dean Goods as built, in P4, but I'll see what the situation is when that happens.

• Like 1

Just thinking out loud....

Perhaps they're sorting out the firebox, but to try to keep on "schedule", the final decoration example has been produced on pre-production bodies that are to hand rather than waiting for possible revised firebox samples?

Ok, I'm a perennial optimist!

But it does look very pretty....

Ummm

I'm no shedplate guru, but isn't a number/letter combination an LMS/BR fad?  According to listings on "The Great Western Archive" (  http://www.greatwestern.org.uk/m_in_gwr_sheds.htm ) 88K was used for Brecon (BCN) from 1961. 

I stand to be corrected.

Edited by Hroth

All this fuss about Oxford's Dean and no one seems to acknowledge that it is streets ahead of the  Airfix/ Hornby Dean with its hideous tender.

The Oxford Dean is top of my New loco acquisitions list despite being too early for my 1957/62 period.  Any livery will do because it will disappear under a layer of filth.  I just hope it pulls well unlike the recently acquired Hornby King which is a joke.

At present I have an Airfix Dean body on a K's Dean chassis, which is awaiting repair after breaking a side rod.  (My locos work for a living)

I wonder if the chassis Oxford Dean chassis will fit the Bachmann Collett 2251 body? If it will I reckon a couple of evenings work could produce a half decent 2251.    I don't care which segment of the market Oxford cater for as long as they make loco drive locos which look like what they are supposed to represent, pull train of a realistic length and stay on the rails. Hornby have trouble achieving two out of three and with the 2251 Bachmann seem to have achieved 0 out of 3.

• Like 2

I'm no shedplate guru, but isn't a number/letter combination an LMS/BR fad?  According to listings on "The Great Western Archive" (  http://www.greatwestern.org.uk/m_in_gwr_sheds.htm ) 88K was used for Brecon (BCN) from 1961. 

I stand to be corrected.

Two different locos are pictured, one's in BR livery and one's in GW, the GW liveried one has no shedplate (and is missing the smokeboor door dart).

All this fuss about Oxford's Dean and no one seems to acknowledge that it is streets ahead of the  Airfix/ Hornby Dean with its hideous tender.

The Oxford Dean is top of my New loco acquisitions list despite being too early for my 1957/62 period.  Any livery will do because it will disappear under a layer of filth.  I just hope it pulls well unlike the recently acquired Hornby King which is a joke.

At present I have an Airfix Dean body on a K's Dean chassis, which is awaiting repair after breaking a side rod.  (My locos work for a living)

I wonder if the chassis Oxford Dean chassis will fit the Bachmann Collett 2251 body? If it will I reckon a couple of evenings work could produce a half decent 2251.    I don't care which segment of the market Oxford cater for as long as they make loco drive locos which look like what they are supposed to represent, pull train of a realistic length and stay on the rails. Hornby have trouble achieving two out of three and with the 2251 Bachmann seem to have achieved 0 out of 3.

It won't fit the 2251 - the boiler on the collett is far too high, so the bottom half of the boiler which is part of the dean chassis will be left floating under the collett boiler! 

And it really isn't streets ahead, mechanism maybe, but the body is way off in a lot of respects, the mainline was/is better - you just need to provide it with a proper smokebox door dart and it looks far more convincing than this does. As I said, the chassis will be going under one as soon as it arrives. 

As someone who simply likes the late Victorian origin small 0-6-0 as a genre, that says 'ker-ching'. It's a useful mechanism - assuming it's accurate and as good a runner as the Adams Radial! - as it has the Ramsbottom dimensions found on early Crewe designs, and copied widely around the UK's loco works as a thoroughly proven layout.