Oxford Rail announces - OO gauge GWR Dean Goods

MGR Hooper!

Memo to Oxfordrail:

'If you are going to make mistakes on the LNER N7, do it on the Belpaire jobs, then we can all get the round-top models we really want absolutely perfect',

Cheers from Oz,

Peter c.

• RMweb Gold

Is there perhaps a market that the likes of Oxford could satisfy for basic models that we could finish off by detailing ourselves, perhaps in CKD form.  It might give a greater choice of prototypes able to be accurately represented, as you could include different chimneys, dome, top feeds and so on without pushing the costs too high.

Just a thought, and I'm not very good at those, so go easy on me...

• Like 1

Well, in a not remotely partisan sort of way (  :no: ) I hope the experience of trying a GWR prototype and the advent of the N7 project will persuade Oxford and other smaller manufacturers to cast their eyes further north for inspiration in their next projects.  :) They might find simpler, less varied designs to consider.

Probably best leave Jumbos aside just yet... 

D.

• Like 1

Is there perhaps a market that the likes of Oxford could satisfy for basic models that we could finish off by detailing ourselves, perhaps in CKD form.  It might give a greater choice of prototypes able to be accurately represented, as you could include different chimneys, dome, top feeds and so on without pushing the costs too high.

Just a thought, and I'm not very good at those, so go easy on me...

I like the idea of a basic item that can be detailed and customised.  I don't know how practical it would be, or whether there would be a market, but I like the idea.

The trick would be to ensure that the 'basic model' was dimensionally accurate, otherwise you would be able to do nothing much good with it.

Well, in a not remotely partisan sort of way (  :no: ) I hope the experience of trying a GWR prototype and the advent of the N7 project will persuade Oxford and other smaller manufacturers to cast their eyes further north for inspiration in their next projects.  :) They might find simpler, less varied designs to consider.

D.

Lots more prototypes I'd like to see, not least from the NER and the Scottish companies.  As things stand, despite the rush of new entrants, the only people I'd really trust at the moment would be Hornby and Rapido.  

Bachmann ought to be a very safe bet, but remember the Modified Halls.  Heljan should be considered, but only on a good day.  New generation Dapol OO may prove up to scratch, but we'll need to wait and see.

Oxford has yet to convince, and I'd like them to prove themselves before announcing anything I'd like to buy!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well, in a not remotely partisan sort of way (  :no: ) I hope the experience of trying a GWR prototype and the advent of the N7 project will persuade Oxford and other smaller manufacturers to cast their eyes further north for inspiration in their next projects.  

D.

What. D'you mean a Great Western locomotive from Wolverhampton, or Birkenhead, like?

Ian

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Memo to Oxfordrail:

'If you are going to make mistakes on the LNER N7, do it on the Belpaire jobs, then we can all get the round-top models we really want absolutely perfect',

Cheers from Oz,

Peter c.

Once again, Fred the office boy, file in hand, profile gauge at the ready....

Ian

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Lots more prototypes I'd like to see, not least from the NER and the Scottish companies. As things stand, despite the rush of new entrants, the only people I'd really trust at the moment would be Hornby and Rapido.

Bachmann ought to be a very safe bet, but remember the Modified Halls. Heljan should be considered, but only on a good day. New generation Dapol OO may prove up to scratch, but we'll need to wait and see.

Oxford has yet to convince, and I'd like them to prove themselves before announcing anything I'd like to buy!

Not with you there on Hornby...they might look good but between mazak rot and split gears they are costing me a lot of money at the moment, not to mention the time taken to check and rectify them. A real pita... Edited by PhilH

Not with you there on Hornby...they might look good but between mazak rot and split gears they are costing me a lot of money at the moment, not to mention the time taken to check and rectify them. A real pita...

Sorry to hear that Phil. At the risk of going off-topic, are these recent releases, because my perception is that Hornby really pulled its socks up after the 'Design Clever' aberration, at least in terms of the externals?

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to hear that Phil. At the risk of going off-topic, are these recent releases, because my perception is that Hornby really pulled its socks up after the 'Design Clever' aberration, at least in terms of the externals?

Relatively so...T9 motor retainer, 5/6 Rebuilt Bulleid pacifics with split gears and an older 31 with destroyed chassis, others still to check. I think models with problems are documented in another thread.

Anyway, we digress!

Edited by PhilH

• RMweb Gold

D.

Surely if you want simplicity, then standardised designs  where you have a limited number of wheel, cylinder, motion, boiler. and fittings to produce, and where the main differences are in the cabs which are relatively easy to deal with,  are the way to go; back to the GW, and perhaps the Midland.  Viciorian exotica was often hand built and varied loco by loco from the blueprint, even oop north, and, as Ox have recently discovered, a minefield.  You can see their point in taking on the big boys with the likes of Adams Radials and Dean Goods, a gap in the market, but it's easier to come unstuck than it is to get it right.

Not that I'm arguing against northern, or Scottish, prototypes; the more variety we can have the better!

Surely if you want simplicity, then standardised designs  where you have a limited number of wheel, cylinder, motion, boiler. and fittings to produce, and where the main differences are in the cabs which are relatively easy to deal with,  are the way to go; back to the GW, and perhaps the Midland.  Viciorian exotica was often hand built and varied loco by loco from the blueprint, even oop north, and, as Ox have recently discovered, a minefield.  You can see their point in taking on the big boys with the likes of Adams Radials and Dean Goods, a gap in the market, but it's easier to come unstuck than it is to get it right.

Not that I'm arguing against northern, or Scottish, prototypes; the more variety we can have the better!

I have often thought that you could go a long way to producing many GW classes as they would have been seen in the 1900s by essentially doing what Swindon did; produce a suite of standard   boilers, fireboxes, wheel sizes etc, chassis with common wheel centres etc, and assemble them almost at random and you're bound to end up with an accurate model of at least one GW engine!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Not with you there on Hornby...they might look good but between mazak rot and split gears they are costing me a lot of money at the moment, not to mention the time taken to check and rectify them. A real pita...

After the weekend gone, you just need to buy a Bachmann 80xxx tank instead  :yes:

Roy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have often thought that you could go a long way to producing many GW classes as they would have been seen in the 1900s by essentially doing what Swindon did; produce a suite of standard   boilers, fireboxes, wheel sizes etc, chassis with common wheel centres etc, and assemble them almost at random and you're bound to end up with an accurate model of at least one GW engine!

This holds true pretty much up until the end of WR steam, and includes many locos absorbed at the grouping and rebuilt. One or two new wheel sizes and a few boilers (no, 7, 10, 14) and that's all you'd need.  It's what Collett did with the 68xx!

This holds true pretty much up until the end of WR steam, and includes many locos absorbed at the grouping and rebuilt. One or two new wheel sizes and a few boilers (no, 7, 10, 14) and that's all you'd need.  It's what Collett did with the 68xx!

Agree.  Being "Edwardian", I was thinking of S2, S4 boilers etc, but it is even more true of the Churchward-Collett 'standard' designs.

• RMweb Premium

You could start with the Saint first of the modern passenger locos.

Star = Saint with 4 Cylinders (boiler/wheels/cab more or less the same)

Hall = just a Saint with smaller wheels (and a new cab!)

Grange = Hall with even smaller wheels

Manor = lightweight Grange with smaller boiler (and a bit lopped off the back)

new County = Modified Hall with larger wheels & new bigger boiler.

You can do the same with other GWR types such as tank locos.

Keith

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'd take the risk of Hornby or Oxford doing a Caley Jumbo or an NBR Scott. Both locos we've never seen RTR before. Ok the `Dean has issues but it looks pretty much like a Dean to me, and Hornby would do a beautiful job on them