Oxford Rail announces - OO gauge GWR Dean Goods

MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Premium

In part that is explained by the fact that LMS engines are just GW engines painted red.

Hat ... coat ...

By no means. The Royal Scots were Southern engines painted red.

(Actually the common feature leading to the success of these LMS engines was the three-cylinder layout which came in a straight line of descent from S. W. Johnson's compounds.)

• RMweb Gold

Going on from Edwardian's logical solution, I'd guess we're looking good for No. 36, Mr & Mrs Kruger, and an Aberdare or two.

It'll look just right in front of an 6-wheel toad.

Ian.

Ah, someone mentioned an 'Aberdare' now there's an idea for Rapido ;)

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

You and me both, Ian. You and me both.... Not forgetting a fair few others, mind you!

Unless Rapido can be prevailed upon, I'd guess it's a Finney kit for me...

As a small boy,I used to walk with my late grandfather over to Cwmbach from Godreaman,crossing the Low Level (TVR) line and then over the footbridge that soon spanned the GW Vale Of Neath at Cwmbach Halt (as it then was).One day....as always....we paused to wait to see what came and were rewarded by the appearance of an outside frame tender loco hauling a freight which paused awaiting a signal.Grandad said.."an Aberdare".....I must have been about 5/6 ...but it's funny how things stick in the memory.So...1947/48 or thereabouts. :senile:

• Like 4

Just going through my shapeways delivery, the FXD parts are soaking to remove the wax, a process that should also turn them white and make it easier to see what they look like. The brass chimney however is a nice improvement over Oxford's poor attempt, and I haven't even attempted to file the base thickness down yet, it's just had a blast of black acrylic to highlight any blemishes. 

post-21854-0-49876000-1499884146_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Just going through my shapeways delivery, the FXD parts are soaking to remove the wax, a process that should also turn them white and make it easier to see what they look like. The brass chimney however is a nice improvement over Oxford's poor attempt, and I haven't even attempted to file the base thickness down yet, it's just had a blast of black acrylic to highlight any blemishes. 

attachicon.gifBFI-DSXT8729.jpg

That does look very nice. do you intend to remove the 'extra' splasher detail? Having recovered a real(life sized) Dean Goods boiler, I can testify to the flush rivets around the smokebox wrapper plate, and it would appear that Oxford left about 40-45 rivets too many on the model.

Many thanks,

Ian.

That does look very nice. do you intend to remove the 'extra' splasher detail? Having recovered a real(life sized) Dean Goods boiler, I can testify to the flush rivets around the smokebox wrapper plate, and it would appear that Oxford left about 40-45 rivets too many on the model.

Many thanks,

Ian.

There was a change from flush to snap-head rivets.

• RMweb Premium

liking it even though they acknowledge its many faults.....

I love my husband, but I still acknowledge his many faults. It's human nature to do that. We can still like something while acknowledging faults with it.

Many thanks,

Ian.

I wasn't going to bother with them, they're not all that noticeable, but I did. 2 of the pins on the splashers broke so they had to be glued back into position. 

Hi all

Hattons sent me a email today to say my "Oxford Rail"  sound version of the Dean Goods is on it's way, (Australia) 153 pounds delivered, I think that's a fairly good price.

I have had this on pre-order since Christmas.

As soon as see arrives I will post up a video. :locomotive:

I know it's had a lot of negative comments but for that price for a ESU sound fitted loco I think it's great value. :boast:

All the best

Gary

Well, my one has finally arrived. Must say I'm overall very pleased. Nice shade of green and lovely cab detail, which is just asking for a crew. Running quality are really quite something, smooth and quiet, haulage is certainly not an issue. 

However, the cab profile certainly is quite noticeable, along with the handrails in front of washout plugs. That a side, I'm still very pleased with the model. 

As with all my new arrivals here a little round up video of the model, hope it's of interest. I've tried to get as many close-ups of the areas of concern as possible, and will post some stills up a bit later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29SxF_CmxSw  

Edited by SDJR7F88
  • Like 3

Surely, in a video purporting to review the running qualities of a model, one should ensure movement is as smooth as possible. As moving trains in my video uploads do not suffer from hickup-movement, I wonder what you are doing wrong?  That apart, I found some useful info in your review, in fact am looking forward to buying a BR black one more than ever now. 

So Oxford got things wrong and appear not to have listened...... Disappointing maybe, but not the end of the world!  At least some people with knowledge of the prototype gave it their best shot. Apart from "Sam", who had the misfortune to end up with a bad 'un,  it hasn't gone un-noticed that buyers are happy with this model.  Wouldn't surprise me if the Oxford Dean Goods almost reaches model of the year status!  :whistle:

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Premium

Good review Callum. I think you've pointed out the flaws with the model, but overall as you say it seems a pretty good representation of the Deans Goods . Also glad to see, like Sam's replacement loco, it runs very sweetly. Again this demonstrates the worth of these video reviews. I'll go for the unlined version. I don't mind touching up the underside of the boiler in green paint if it too is supplied black .

Thanks for posting. Good one!

Surely, in a video purporting to review the running qualities of a model, one should ensure movement is as smooth as possible. As moving trains in my video uploads do not suffer from hickup-movement, I wonder what you are doing wrong?  That apart, I found some useful info in your review, in fact am looking forward to buying a BR black one more than ever now. 

Thanks ever so much coachmann, glad it was of help. 

Think there's two factors behind the hickup-moments from the loco in the video, the first and main reason it the video itself. Sadly I live in sticks in deep Somerset, and as you can imagine interest speeds aren't great (0.4 MGB average for me :O ), so in order to get video online in a reasonable 6 hours, I have to lower the quality from 1080p to 720p, as well as lowering the bite rate. This makes the video a tad grainy and when things are moving, like the model, jumpy. It's also noticeable in my real railway videos, when trains pass, especially shots with poor lighting. 

Admittedly the Dean was a bit stiff at first in one place, but after a few laps cleared up nicely. There's also dead spot on a point at the other end of the layout, most locos, even the odd 4-6-2 with tender pick-ups, sometimes jump on it (really need to get around to replacing it), but I'm pleased to report the Dean Glides over. Which even shocked me! :jester:

Many thanks once again

Edited by SDJR7F88
  • Like 1

Thanks ever so much coachmann, glad it was of help. 

Think there's two factors behind the hickup-moments from the loco in the video, the first and main reason it the video itself. Sadly I live in sticks in in deep Somerset, and as you can imagine interest speeds aren't great (0.4 MGB average for me :O ), so in order to get video online in a reasonable 6 hours, I have to lower the quality from 1080p to 720p, as well as lowering the bite rate. This makes the video a tad grainy and when things are moving, like the model, jumpy. It's also noticeable in my real railway video, when trains pass, especially shots with poor lighting. 

Ah, I understand now. I had overlooked the fact that my vids are rarely over 3 minutes duration and they take 25 minutes and more to upload.