Oxford Rail announces - OO gauge GWR Dean Goods

MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Gold

if at first you don't succeed, you were in over your head anyway; give up and do something else.  Didn't learn this as a child, learned it by bitter and repeated experience as an adult.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 2

From what I have read on RMweb, and from the pictures on the Rails web site you might need to buy a Heljan 47xx!

My 3rd replacement Dean has now started stalling at low speed and refusing to restart unless given a large and abruptly applied dose of power. It's going back to Oxford this time.

Ray

Has anyone yet got their hands on the GWR Dean Goods with Snowplough yet? Been told by my supplier that these models are missing their front buffers so you can fit the plough on it.

I think that this would be prototypical.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium

Has anyone yet got their hands on the GWR Dean Goods with Snowplough yet? Been told by my supplier that these models are missing their front buffers so you can fit the plough on it.

The plough bolts to the front buffer beam using the bolt holes for the buffers. The ploughs were also used with pannier tanks. The Princetown branch utilised one, hence the turntables at Princetown and Yelverton.

I think that this would be prototypical.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

The plough bolts to the front buffer beam using the bolt holes for the buffers. The ploughs were also used with pannier tanks. The Princetown branch utilised one, hence the turntables at Princetown and Yelverton.

Thank you all. I've learned something new today :)

Edited by Garethp8873
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I believe it is to be shipped with loose self fit buffers so you can use without the plough as well.

I have a Hornby 42xx that was supplied with loose buffers, not to mention a coupling that fell off.  No snowplough, though...

• RMweb Gold

I have a Hornby 42xx that was supplied with loose buffers, not to mention a coupling that fell off.  No snowplough, though...

I once had a Heljan Class 1361 with buffer shaped spring loaded missiles which pointed upwards to aid the missiles trajectory

I just assumed it was part of the 007 range

Edited by chuffinghell

Hattons show one photo of the loco with the plough removed and with buffers fitted.

• Like 2

Hattons show one photo of the loco with the plough removed and with buffers fitted.

You got a link at all Spencer? I can only find the photo where the buffers are fitted onto the Dean Goods.

Isn't that the same?

• RMweb Gold

I have a confession

I said that I wouldn’t try a fourth time......well I went against my own ‘three strikes and you’re out’ rule

And not only purchased another but had it weathered

TMC were good enough to test the loco prior to weathering it and I’m really pleased with the loco, the finish and the excellent customer service I received

post-34603-0-04061400-1534786376_thumb.jpeg

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 11

I have a confession

I said that I wouldn’t try a fourth time......well I went against my own ‘three strikes and you’re out’ rule

And not only purchased another but had it weathered

TMC were good enough to test the loco prior to weathering it and I’m really pleased with the loco, the finish and the excellent customer service I received

Looks like a nice job they've done of it too!

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

My 3rd replacement Dean has now started stalling at low speed and refusing to restart unless given a large and abruptly applied dose of power. It's going back to Oxford this time.

Got it back with a new chassis/motor fitted, performance as it should be now, still gives most of its performance range with a very small amount of control knob turning so I have to be quite delicate with power control from the start or it takes off like a dragster but I've got a Bachmann City of Truro like that too.

Got it back with a new chassis/motor fitted, performance as it should be now, still gives most of its performance range with a very small amount of control knob turning so I have to be quite delicate with power control from the start or it takes off like a dragster but I've got a Bachmann City of Truro like that too.

Sorry can't resist

With a moniker of Panzerjohn you'd expect it all to go like a bull in a China shop or a tank through a house, so it's just living up to your name..........

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

After getting a reasonably good one first time I was suckered into another from Ian Allan (£60)

This one does not run so sweetly. It has a definite sticky point in the driving wheel rotation.

At the sticking point I checked the wheels & con rods and there was plenty of movement, however manually rotating the flywheel you could feel the varying resistance.

Next I flicked off the cap that retains the worm so that I could remove it.

The chassis was now free running, gently pushing it didn't reveal any points where it was less able to roll so the problem seems to be the interface between the worm and the pinion it drives.

Keith