Oxford Rail announces - OO gauge Mk3 coaches

MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Premium

I've just bought the R3270 Midland Mainline HST pack from Hornby. I'm tempted to wait to get the matching rake of coaches from Oxford but who knows how long that livery will take lol. At least the Hornby Midland mk3 are at bargain price at Hattons. They will do for the time being.

At the projected price (REX mag review) of £34.95 they are bound to sell well, when you consider the present RRP of various other avail coaches, and some yet to be produced..................

Edit:  £29 each - via Pre order at Hattons !

Edited by tractor_37260

• 2 weeks later...

I am sure this has been discussed somewhere in this thread (apologies if so an i missed it) but I assume Oxford rail are going to do things far better than Hornby did and do a decent TGS in time (when they get round to doing the HST sets)? 

The current RRP in current times seems fair if they are as good as some of the photos seen. I do wonder if that by the time they come market though  prices maybe revised upwards somewhat given what is going on with the other manufactures/brexit curently.

Edited by sanspareil

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I don't know if it has been mentioned before in this thread but i noticed that the following information was published in the Hornby Magazine November 2016 issue:

• There is a version currently in development that will have factory fitted interior lighting. 
  • After the Loco-Hauled coaches and the HST Coaches are produced there is going to be some of the more unusual Mk3 versions.
  • Also there is currently a plan to do the Royal Train and the Network Rail Measurement Coaches but it will take between 2 - 3 years to work through the programme. 

Samuel.

Edited by sc2016
  • Like 3

Hi,

I don't know if it has been mentioned before in this thread but i noticed that the following information was published in the Hornby Magazine November 2016 issue:

• There is a version currently in development that will have factory fitted interior lighting. 
  • After the Loco-Hauled coaches and the HST Coaches are produced there is going to be some of the more unusual Mk3 versions.
  • Also there is currently a plan to do the Royal Train and the Network Rail Measurement Coaches but it will take between 2 - 3 years to work through the programme. 

Samuel.

I hope 'unusual mk3s' refer to the Chiltern Mk3s with plug doors!

We will also have the GWR and ScotRail coaches with the sliding doors, the first 2 have already gone for conversion, TGS 44055 and TS 42168 from set LA 62.

We will also have the GWR and ScotRail coaches with the sliding doors, the first 2 have already gone for conversion, TGS 44055 and TS 42168 from set LA 62.

CrossCountry Mk3's 42370 & 42036 are also at Wabtec Doncaster for work.

I really hope Oxford's shall tool both door types, I have lobbied them on this since first announced and no doubt others requesting them directly with OR would hopefully secure their tooling.

Note the Chiltern loco-haul Mk3 doors were manufactured by Rail Door Solutions, whereas the HST Mk3 doors for Scotrail, GWR and CrossCountry (thus far) are 'in-house' by Vapor Stone Rail Systems. The former being plug and the latter being sliding.

• RMweb Gold

Good hint there as stock being modelled for the prototype HST set...(2 coaches from the prototype set went to the Royal Train, and 2 others to the NRMT).

• RMweb Premium

Good hint there as stock being modelled for the prototype HST set...(2 coaches from the prototype set went to the Royal Train, and 2 others to the NRMT).

Yes but all stock that went to the Royal Train was modified in some way wasn't it?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

looks like the experimental lighting is spot on.  ideally needs to be visible in the toilets too if youre going for 100% accuracy even if only half window height.  be very interesting to see further samples with the painted interiors to get a real flavour of the finished article as the mouldings are just one colour atm.

• Like 1

A short video taking a look at the Oxford Rail Stand, during the Warley National Model Railway Exhibition.

On show, as well a huge display of Diecast Vehicles, was a number of up and coming and prototype Oxford Rail items, featuring the all new GWR Dean Goods (including the new limited Edition NRM Version), a selection of BR Mk3 coaches and Carflat.

On top of this there was also running samples of the new Sound Fitted Adams Radial Tanks, as well as the all new Golden Valley Hobbies, YE Janus 0-6-0DE.

Filmed Saturday 26th November 2016, we take a closer look at these new models, plus more. 

Hope you enjoy!

post-20663-0-24795900-1481477154_thumb.gif

Edited by SDJR7F88
  • Like 1

Does Brenda's Charter Train still have the two Mk2 generator/staff cars at each end?  It's been a while since I've seen it as Brenda and the Bubble don't tend to come to Wales often and her puffer nutter No1 son doesn't use the stock for his annual Summer "meet the Welsh proles" meet and greet so I'm not sure what the current formation is.

These are shaping up to be very good indeed.

I agree.

When they were first announced, there seemed to be a lot of praise about them. I thought this was unjustified for something unknown.

Having just seen photos of some pre-production models for the first time, I think they look very promising.

If the production models look as good, a rake will appear on my WCML layout.

I hope they don't make the same mistake as Bachmann by producing too many buffets compared to TSO's & FOs.