Oxford Rail announces - OO gauge Mk3 coaches

MGR Hooper!

On another livery point, the BR blue of the two different manufacturers are noticeably different shades. They Grey is different too, but not quite as bad.

Given Oxford Rails previous for getting shades completely wrong, I know who my money is on as to which of the applied liveries is the most correct.........

cheers

Andy

• RMweb Gold

I can see the later extension of the the top blue band that Bob Reid was on about. All I'd do is smooth that paint join out, mask and repaint the rooves; you'd want to weather them anyway as both the OR and Bachmann coaches look plasticky.

The TSO I could live with but the excessively wide yellow band on the FO is horrible and irritating meaning I want to do something about it. Given I am modelling the early 1980's, I want my MK3's to be in their as built condition. From reading previous comments I think that this means if I:

• mask in a straight line from the rain strips at either end of the coach
  • sand down the area immediately above the masking up to the roof black (painted blue on the TSO and yellow on the FO)
  • remove the rain strips
  • re-spray the prepared area black to match the existing roof colour
  • weather the revised roof area to blend in the re-sprayed area

then I should be somewhere close to having what I want! Should anyone see any flaws in my approach I would appreciate their comments...

post-24755-0-56840200-1545474799_thumb.jpg

Rob

Absolutely spot on Rob.  Yes, there's still the issue of the height of the white lining at the top however without a major repaint (which I've no intention of tackling either) that's not easily fixed and perhaps offers little in return for the amount of effort.  The only other thing you might consider is repainting the gangway doors / inside of the gangway rail warning yellow...

On another livery point, the BR blue of the two different manufacturers are noticeably different shades. They Grey is different too, but not quite as bad.

Given Oxford Rails previous for getting shades completely wrong, I know who my money is on as to which of the applied liveries is the most correct.........

cheers

Andy

There was a noticeable difference in the blue of the Bachmann and Hornby mk2's as well. Maybe someday we'll achieve harmony

Having a 'Tim, nice but dim' morning. I want to add passengers but cannot work out how to take the coach apart. Can't find anything on RMWeb either; please will someone educate me. 

Thanks Rob

Firstly disconnect the thin electric  cable at each end, the small plugs pull out of the sockets hanging from the coach underside.  This cable/plug is very fragile, be careful you don't snag it round the buffer or it will break when you lift the body off the chassis - been there - done that..............

To remove the body, use your fingernails or a thin piece of card to spring out the bodysides from the chassis, it should then lift off - same idea as removing Heljan bodies from chassis. 

HTH

• RMweb Gold

I finally have a set of these coaches and have put them to work in a push-pull set, matched with the Bachmann DBSO (and a Heljan 47/4 awaiting conversion to a 47/7).  They are nice models, with some really excellent touches - but there is something not quite right about them (and I can't put my finger on what it is).  Nonetheless, I have coupled them with Roco close couplers (including between the loco and coaches), and the set performs well.  So, here it is, on test (and being passed by a rake of the new Bachmann Freightliner flats - superb, if rather fiddly, models). 

Merry Christmas everyone!

PM

Edited by uk_pm
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

I finally have a set of these coaches and have put them to work in a push-pull set, matched with the Bachmann DVT (and a Heljan 47/4 awaiting conversion to a 47/7).  They are nice models, with some really excellent touches - but there is something not quite right about them (and I can't put my finger on what it is).  Nonetheless, I have coupled them with Roco close couplers (including between the loco and coaches), and the set performs well.  So, here it is, on test (and being passed by a rake of the new Bachmann Freightliner flats - superb, if rather fiddly, models). 

Merry Christmas everyone!

PM

Your Mk3 rake runs well and looks the part.

I'll apologise in advance for being a bit anal but I think that you need to re-marshal your rolling stock because based on the research I have done on the Glasgow & Edinburgh push pull service in the blue & grey era, the FO should be immediately behind the DBSO.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I am feeling guilty about my last post, I don't like people being critical especially on a forum. In an effort to rescue the situation, the links below takes you to pictures supporting my point on the position of the FO behind the DBSO in a PP consist. The DBSO has been at the Glasgow end of virtually every picture of a PP that I have found.   

Hope these are helpful

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_01_2010/post-3695-12625429850644.jpg

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/429-scottish-region-photos-1980s/page-16

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I am feeling guilty about my last post, I don't like people being critical especially on a forum. In an effort to rescue the situation, the links below takes you to pictures supporting my point on the position of the FO behind the DBSO in a PP consist. The DBSO has been at the Glasgow end of virtually every picture of a PP that I have found.   

Hope these are helpful

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_01_2010/post-3695-12625429850644.jpg

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/429-scottish-region-photos-1980s/page-16

Please don't apologise.  Your observation was spot on, and the pictures extremely useful.  In fact, I had failed to do my research before marshalling the train, and so you have saved me a job.  I should also acknowledge that my YouTube post followed some early Christmas refreshment, hence my mistaken reference to a DVT rather than a DBSO.  All-in-all a rather cack-handed attempt to show off some of the lovely models available off the shelf this Christmas.  How lucky are we? PM

• Like 1

The DBSO has been at the Glasgow end of virtually every picture of a PP that I have found.   

Hope these are helpful

The Cowlairs Incline our of Glasgow Queen Street Station was pretty severe....In day’s gone by, they used a pulley system to help pull the trains up the incline!!

The DBSO’s were (generally) always at the Glasgow end, as it was easier to drag the coaches up the incline rather than push them uphill....

The Cowlairs Incline our of Glasgow Queen Street Station was pretty severe....In day’s gone by, they used a pulley system to help pull the trains up the incline!!

The DBSO’s were (generally) always at the Glasgow end, as it was easier to drag the coaches up the incline rather than push them uphill....

I believe the reason the DBSO was always at the Glasgow end was so that if there was a loco problem when the train arrived in Glasgow the loco was at the outer end of the platform making it easy to change. (For those who don't know Glasgow Queen Street, it's a terminus). If a loco problem occurred at Edinburgh then the train could be diverted into one of the through platforms to allow the loco to be released.

Edited by JeremyC
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I believe the reason the DBSO was always at the Glasgow end was so that if there was a loco problem when the train arrived in Glasgow the loco was at the outer end of the platform making it easy to change. (For those who don't know Glasgow Queen Street, it's a terminus). If a loco problem occurred at Edinburgh then the train could be diverted into one of the through platforms to allow the loco to be released.

I thought that there was also a desire that at Glasgow the loco was not sat under the canopy?

Roy

I thought that there was also a desire that at Glasgow the loco was not sat under the canopy?

Roy

Was there not also something about the guard being at the rear of the train so that if there was a problem on the incline they'd be at the descending end?

Just got an email update from Hattons saying the Scotrail Mk3 arrival estimate from Oxford is Jan-Mar 2019.  No idea how accurate that can be though.

As far as i know they were due to arrive in the UK during the festive period and for dispatch in  the next few weeks

Ok so I tried to put the Roco style couplings in my FO the socket and the bit underneath holding it in broke and now it sags and wont rotate.. whats the best way to mend it please?

You've probably dislodged the CC mechanism. you'll need to fully strip the coach to get access to fix it. Be careful not to snag the small cables round the buffers when removing the body.  Once stripped, use small spots of super glue to secure the tiny springs at each end. You might also find the small screws that hold the seating part to the floor don't grip properly at the ends, this allows the CC mechanism to come loose. The screw holes at each end are best plugged with some plastic rod glued in and cut flush, then drill a small pilot hole and let the screw cut a new thread. 

As you've found, the CC is fragile, so careful handling is recommended.

HTH

Edited by tractor_37260

Recently finished fitting lights to a MK3A coach, using an extended ESU DCC 50708 lighting strip, it's turned out well, I'm very pleased with it, and it matches a Bach 2F DBSO well.  Although MK3A's will couple together using Roco fixed bar couplings, a 2F DBSO won't couple with them, it's NEM pocket being set too far inwards, so will need to modify a Roco coupling to suit.

post-2215-0-80293000-1546285022_thumb.jpg

post-2215-0-71345400-1546285030_thumb.jpg

Edited by tractor_37260
  • Like 8

You've probably dislodged the CC mechanism. you'll need to fully strip the coach to get access to fix it. Be careful not to snag the small cables round the buffers when removing the body.  Once stripped, use small spots of super glue to secure the tiny springs at each end. You might also find the small screws that hold the seating part to the floor don't grip properly at the ends, this allows the CC mechanism to come loose. The screw holes at each end are best plugged with some plastic rod glued in and cut flush, then drill a small pilot hole and let the screw cut a new thread. 

HTH

THanks I'll give that a try..

HTH

I'd also suggest whilst the coach is open, make sure the steps are on and seated correctly and add a few drops of superglue from the inside to secure them,