Bachmann Tornado

G-BOAF

Sneaky update from Bachmann - they have updated the picture in their '2009 Branchline new items' section. Now showing what I presume to be the final decoration sample of 60163, complete with rimless chimney, new tender moulding (note the higher filler cap), Etched nameplate and plaque below.

Not sure I'm a fan of the 'silver' headlights, or indeed the 'lightly blackened' motion.... hmm.

Other than that, looks great!

Any pics from Manchester (assuming the updated model was there?)

Roll on the finished product (...and I haven??�t started work on the support coach yet!!)

http://tinyurl.com/yzh5gno

G-BOAF (first post on new forum!)

Guest TomTank

I'm going to the A1 Covenators Convention and there is talk off pre production models of both Tornado and Blue Peter, don't worry im taking the camera! ;)

Guest TomTank

I was at the A1 Covenator Convention, and.... I got to handle the prototype Model of 60163 and A2 Prototype :D

Here she is, and she looks stunning!

171020091715.jpg

new tender molding

171020091718.jpg

will post pics of the A2 in the correct thread

Must resist....

Tornado is a couple of years too modern for me :lol: on the other hand it really is rather tempting.........

Did anyone confirm if they have done the tender with the rollerbearing axleboxes?

My understanding from a post by Dennis L on the old forum was that only the tender tank was being retooled. No new chassis. And the rear truck on the loco is part of the metal chassis assembly which I'd guess would not be easy to modify (while still allowing traditional A1s to be made)

From what I can see (and I did compare Tornado and Mallards Tenders at the NRM) the only visible difference is the "Al Timken" round covers (though happy to be corrected) If any etching companies what to manufacture them....

Of note - the model is TOO UP TO DATE to accurately represent the Works Grey condition!!! The NRN arial on the tender was only installed in the spring, so after the application of the green livery. (not meant as a criticism, being tongue in cheek!)

All credit to Bachmann for incorporating this level of detail in the model!

Guest TomTank

Also tongue in cheek, have they reflected the recent repositioning of the chime whistle?

They have indeed, The model had the correct placement of the new position of the chime whistle :)

Bachmann are currently saying December/January, my guess would be the latter.

Whatever........I'm going to get one!!!

Brian

I'm guessing (or is that hoping - impatient!) that we'll see it in time for late december. How many children (young and old) will have asked for Tornado?? Bachmann would be missing out on a large number of sales among the general public IMHO. Still, would rather wait longer and ensure they get it right (lined out splashers too much to ask?), with a decent build quality.

Just seen a BR Green 60115 and the A1 really does make an imposing (and massive) model.

December-January. Oh dear my mum ordered me one as an 18th Birthday present in September and I knew it would be later in the year but didn't think it would be around January as well still though something to look forward to. Love the new modifications. Will it have Bachmanns opening smokebox or to much to ask for. Maybe some headboards.

• 3 weeks later...

I heard from Bachmann at the end of October that Tornado was in production, however a chat with Rails of Sheffield yesterday (model available from other retailers as well!) suggested that it was unlikely to be here by 25 December. However a post by Chameleon on the A2 Thread suggests its a couple of weeks away.

Any other updates?

At any rate, I've now given up waiting for Bachmann... I'm playing with Tornado on Friday on my local 'layout'. (known as the ECML, and playing should more accurately be riding being... 1:1 scale of course!)

Bachmann's delivery schedule on newly tooled models seems to be highly variable (at least systematically late was reliable!) - in the last week we've had the 4CEP (2 or three years wait possibly a record) and the 3mt (10 months wait! - must be one of the quickest releases of recent years), while the A1, only needing a tender retool is not here, and the A2 (announced last July) is not here. Still, it keeps things interesting!

• RMweb Premium

Bachmann's delivery schedule on newly tooled models seems to be highly variable (at least systematically late was reliable!) - in the last week we've had the 4CEP (2 or three years wait possibly a record) and the 3mt (10 months wait! - must be one of the quickest releases of recent years), while the A1, only needing a tender retool is not here, and the A2 (announced last July) is not here. Still, it keeps things interesting!

G-BOAF, i think you have to cut Bachmann some slack here and look at the reasons for the varied durations from announcement to release. The 4-cep was announced before Bachmann changed their policy to only making new announcements when a model was at an advance stage, so either tooled or pretty much ready for tooling. It has also been well documented that they have struggled greatly to get the drawings and info required to produce the 4-cep.

The 3mt had already been announced in the farish range so i would guess a lot of the research was done before the announcement so that makes the 00 model a 'quick and easy' model to produce.

Tornado was announced at the same time as the 3mt, and by the looks of it it will be released within 12 months since the announcement which i feel is still very good. You may say that they only needed to retool the tender, but that means new drawings, tools etc, and if they only have one guy who produces the drawings, tools etc, and they all have to go through the chief designer to be signed off, then they can only do 1 at a time surely?

If i remember rightly the A2 was announced at the trade fair in March when the new range was released, it didn't make it into the catalogue but there was a supplement with this and the presflos on, so being a brand new model announced at the same time as the 3mt i would expect it to be released after the 3mt as they already ahd a lot of work done for the 3mt through farish.

Cheers, Richard

G-BOAF, i think you have to cut Bachmann some slack here and look at the reasons for the varied durations from announcement to release. The 4-cep was announced before Bachmann changed their policy to only making new announcements when a model was at an advance stage, so either tooled or pretty much ready for tooling. It has also been well documented that they have struggled greatly to get the drawings and info required to produce the 4-cep.

The 3mt had already been announced in the farish range so i would guess a lot of the research was done before the announcement so that makes the 00 model a 'quick and easy' model to produce.

Tornado was announced at the same time as the 3mt, and by the looks of it it will be released within 12 months since the announcement which i feel is still very good. You may say that they only needed to retool the tender, but that means new drawings, tools etc, and if they only have one guy who produces the drawings, tools etc, and they all have to go through the chief designer to be signed off, then they can only do 1 at a time surely?

If i remember rightly the A2 was announced at the trade fair in March when the new range was released, it didn't make it into the catalogue but there was a supplement with this and the presflos on, so being a brand new model announced at the same time as the 3mt i would expect it to be released after the 3mt as they already ahd a lot of work done for the 3mt through farish.

Cheers, Richard

Very fair points Richard. I hadn't thought about the prior work done for the Farish 3mt. Maybe I came accross as a bit harsh. There was a 'well done' element over the speed of the 3mt, and I'm fully aware of the complexities and effort of the design process. Sorry Bachmann, keep up the good work.

Not got a foty but I had a good look at it. It is very nice and I can feel it tugging at my wallet already.

Spoke to a Bachmann guy and he assured me 2 weeks! S o they must be built and pretty much on their way already. I guess they want to hit the christmas market.

Guest TomTank

Not got a foty but I had a good look at it. It is very nice and I can feel it tugging at my wallet already.

Spoke to a Bachmann guy and he assured me 2 weeks! S o they must be built and pretty much on their way already. I guess they want to hit the christmas market.

Did the guy give a time for the A2s at all?