Bachmann Tornado

G-BOAF

• RMweb Premium

And for further Southern Region sillyness, she is booked to haul two Christmas Lunch tours of Kent from Victoria on Monday, I know as I am booked on one of them. :D

Needless to say this will almost enivitably see me nipping out at some point later in the week to buy the model!!

• RMweb Gold

mmmmm, very nice, had mine out of the box on friday to check out the tender in readyness for its sound chip and i recon that you could get one of those big ported bass speakers in it, oddles of room and i recon all you would need to do is put the holes for the sound to escape above the wheels (in the recessed bit) and possibly move the weight to the top of the tender (if it doesn't become too top heavy!!)

unfortunatly i've put the pictures somewhere on my computer and can't currently find them

my loco is currently with bryan having the sound chip fitted and with any luck i may be able to get it back between christmas and new year and get a video up

I was wondering, why does it have the chime whistle on the front deflector and another one in the usual place up top near the cab? Is it a stipulation by the railway inspectorate so that it has a bloody loud one at the front while it is running on the mainline?

Incidentally what is the chime whistle originally off? An A4?

I was wondering, why does it have the chime whistle on the front deflector and another one in the usual place up top near the cab? Is it a stipulation by the railway inspectorate so that it has a bloody loud one at the front while it is running on the mainline?

I believe that the chime is from an A4 yes. Don't know why it has it but I like it.

The chime whistle is off Golden Eagle and was donated by an A1 Trust member to the project. The A1 whistle is off Kestrel, and this too was donated to the project.

I don't know about stipulations on loud whistles for the main line, but the drivers, trust members and covenators alike love it for its sound! :) (myself included)

• RMweb Gold

unfortunatly i've put the pictures somewhere on my computer and can't currently find them

my loco is currently with bryan having the sound chip fitted and with any luck i may be able to get it back between christmas and new year and get a video up

:lol:

Will keep an eye out for the video .. might get mine done at some stage B)

It's an excellent model, not the cheapest around but I'm happy to pay for quality and this oozes quality. Sadly I can't see her getting to stretch her legs on Widnes (with a train on the drawbar) at any shows, we really need to double the fiddle yard size, but we also need to get on with the new layout.

• RMweb Premium

I got mine on Friday afternoon, and as usual with the redoubtable Richard, I was offered a choice from several - in fact the one with my name on the box was just fine, and a couple of trips up and down his test track proved that the running was fine. All this for the very competitive price of ??105.00. Cheapest I've seen from a box shifter is about ??97.50 plus a fiver for postage - so the extra couple of quid was well spent in helping a smaller retailer, and in the level of service that I got.

One minor quibble, and that is going to be quite easy to rectify, is that the fall plate between the cab and tender appears to slope up a little more than it should - but for now, I'll leave it, as I don't feel inclined to mess about too much with it too soon.

Other than that, it's an absolute stonker of a loco with a great finish, nice crisp printing, nice etched nameplates, and all the ususal add on bits in a bag. If I go over this with a fine tooth comb, I will find flaws, I'm sure, but not that many. The model certainly seens to well replicate the loco that I spent a joyous 20 minutes with earlier in the year.

Now I wonder if I can bribe the A1 trust to swap their nameplates over so all the crests are on the wrong sides :P .

It does look a lovely, I wonder when we'll see the Top Gear chase set? Probably never as it'd need to come with a Scalextric set :( ..

I think we'll have to wait for the Top Gear Challenges 4 which should feature the race and if we're lucky may get extra features from the race or (i'd prefer) even better a stand alone DVD with tons of extra features. I've got to wait til tomorrow or Wednesday before I can get my hands on my model. Also today the real 60163 on the lunch time trains in Kent earlier today was running ahead of time when everything else was late.

Please people, you mustn't be posting all this green gorgeousness, or I will end up buying one for my dear wife's birthday...

...One minor quibble, and that is going to be quite easy to rectify, is that the fall plate between the cab and tender appears to slope up a little more than it should - but for now, I'll leave it, as I don't feel inclined to mess about too much with it too soon...

Should you decide to adjust it, you don't want it resting on the tender step, as then it will then lift the back of the loco, particularly on curves, with a consequent loss of traction. The fall plate representation is a separate piece of brass, and can be removed entire, and replaced by a piece of sheet 'whatever' on a cloth hinge blu-tacked to the cab floor for a genuine fall plate which will not affect traction, (nor irreversibly change the model, should that be a concern).

• Like 1

Just taken delivery of 60163.

Very nice model - had to reject the one that was put aside for me - one of the splashers was only half painted, another had the same problem, and the one in the display rack was great!

Quick first impressions:

Cab interior - probably the best detailed of any Bachmann loco (Truro aside) - the regulators, reverser and pipework is picked out. No where near Hornby standard, but as good as you need for most viewing angles. Inside of cab roof painted correct colour!

Tender ??“ nice - gauges on the tender are a nice touch, and prominent detail of the real thing. Top of tender tank is good, and the Radio Pod is a nice moulding. Water scoop will have to go (not that it is visible at all!!!)

Fall plate - the steep angle is due to Bachmann's packaging - it has to be high to clear it - oh dear... Still, easy to correct, with a bit of package trimming!

Packaging - not sure I'm a fan - box fits together nicely, but the platic tray smacks of Hornby 1990s pre 'Top Link' - I suppose it protects detail better and means that 'pressure points' can be designed in and protected. How durable it will be over repeated running sessions I don't know. But its got to these shores OK without any ill effects.

Cab running plate - slightly too low, resulting in cab rear being 1mm too low. may be corrected but not as bad I pictures suggest. I'm not going to mess around with it until its run in etc. Or may wait and see how it compares to the A2.

Finally - is the chassis meant to have a sprung axle - mine doesn't but the diagram included suggests that the (front) driving wheelset should be sprung...?? Is mine stuck? Middle driver is not in contact with the rail (fractionally)

Pictures when the layout is out and the loco is running!

Unless they have changed the design of the chassis, the sprung axle should be present. But on every Bach steamer with this feature, the travel permitted is negligible. I adjust them all, slightly deepening the chassis recess or filing a bevel on the plunger shoulder if required, and filing recesses in the keeper plate to allow the axle and plunger 0.5mm or thereabouts downward travel. Then stretch the spring or install a beefier one, (depending on how much weight the loco is getting, the A1s get made up to 550g) reassemble with grease lubricant and you are done.

Well I've been admiring the superb finish of this model as it runs round a temporary test track in the lounge, ghosts of Christmas past there!

It's hard to find fault with this release, and perhaps unlike another recent quality Bachmann 4-4-0, excellent value.

Mind you, I'm stunned I have this in my hands today as I only ordered this at 230pm yesterday and it turned up at 930 this morning, just paying the standard post!

So step up Modelfair and take a bow, excellent service especially at this time of year.

Cheers

Duncan

• RMweb Premium

It's the usual Bachmann coupling - the loco drawbar has two holes, which engage (with some difficulty) into the stud at the front of the tender moulding - be careful here as the fall plate can get in the way.

It's the usual Bachmann coupling - the loco drawbar has two holes, which engage (with some difficulty) into the stud at the front of the tender moulding - be careful here as the fall plate can get in the way.

Yeah I got it sorted out. I love it it is stunning though despite the left seat in the cab came loose. I got homemade headboards to go with it.

• RMweb Premium

I've got to say that having lived with this one for a couple of days, it's growing on me in a big way.

I've got it in my display cabinet with three Gresleys behind (cabinet is only four vehicles long) and on the next track to my A3 and A4 - just an A2 now, and my LNER pacific fleet is complete. (so much for LMS branch line modelling - LOL)

I've got to say that having lived with this one for a couple of days, it's growing on me in a big way.

I've got it in my display cabinet with three Gresleys behind (cabinet is only four vehicles long) and on the next track to my A3 and A4 - just an A2 now, and my LNER pacific fleet is complete. (so much for LMS branch line modelling - LOL)

Funny enough I've got my 4 Gresleys, Scotsman, Tangmere with ex Exculiber Express Coaches, Olton Hall (Hogwarts Castle)with coaches and Blue Can Pac all out at the moment. I've also got Tornados etched plates on with blu tac currently but may put them on with glue. I've seen some with or look like white buffers but mine are normal. Can't get pics up because my mobile is playing up when taking pictures and I don't have a digital camera.

• RMweb Gold

I have done a quick video of my Tornado visiting Rederring. I have fitted a sound chip using one of the ESU 3 Cylinder 2-6-4 sound projects modified with genuine Tornado whistles and the blow off at the station, these were recorded on my trip to the Severn Valley Railway on the 26th October. I will be working on the project and convert it to a complete genuine Tornado recording.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5O-13MYXoc