Bachmann Tornado

G-BOAF

A1 Trust website has the model listed on it's shop ans says expected November/December and if you order from the Trust themselves you get a little replica A1 Trust headboard and a certificate signed by Trust offices. As we're in December now it shouldn't be long before we get them. I ordered mine from Holt Model Railways are they any good.

I heard from Bachmann at the end of October that Tornado was in production, however a chat with Rails of Sheffield yesterday (model available from other retailers as well!) suggested that it was unlikely to be here by 25 December. However a post by Chameleon on the A2 Thread suggests its a couple of weeks away.

Any other updates?

At any rate, I've now given up waiting for Bachmann... I'm playing with Tornado on Friday on my local 'layout'. (known as the ECML, and playing should more accurately be riding being... 1:1 scale of course!)

Bachmann's delivery schedule on newly tooled models seems to be highly variable (at least systematically late was reliable!) - in the last week we've had the 4CEP (2 or three years wait possibly a record) and the 3mt (10 months wait! - must be one of the quickest releases of recent years), while the A1, only needing a tender retool is not here, and the A2 (announced last July) is not here. Still, it keeps things interesting!

also, I think that the 2009 Branchline announcements and releases were not made until March this year, so anything announced then has got the best part of 3 months to get here and still be released within a calendar year. am prepared to be corrected on that tho. am sure my Branchline catalogue arrived in March.

Sent an email to Holt Model Railways about my Tornado and a very quick reply has been recieved.

''Thanks, Bachmann have suggested they may start despatching these next week sometime , we do take what we are told with a pinch of salt , but that is the best info we have at present''.

• RMweb Gold

been told mine SHOULD be with haslington models this coming week, looking forward to getting it.

now my question is does it have an 8 pin or 21 pin dcc socket?

i've got a howes sound chip reblow destined for it so need to know what type of chip to send to bryan, hopefully if all goes well and the loco arrives wednesday it should be sound chipped by the weekend!!

• RMweb Premium

Richard at the Train Shop is still hoping to have mine for Chrismas, but he has added the warning, that Bachmann's delivery dates are still pretty variable.

Craven Models in Skipton told me they hadn't a clue when I called in on Saturday.

So all I can say is here's hoping....

• RMweb Gold

Richard at the Train Shop is still hoping to have mine for Chrismas, but he has added the warning, that Bachmann's delivery dates are still pretty variable.

Craven Models in Skipton told me they hadn't a clue when I called in on Saturday.

So all I can say is here's hoping....

now on rails websiteas arriving tomorrow--15th

• RMweb Premium

If the box shifters supply is now on its way out, I would expect the more prolific "proper" shops like The Train Shop to have theirs the following week, so I might be lucky and get a Tornado shaped box in my stocking - bought by me, then wrapped by Mrs 45156 to give me a train related Christmas prezzy.

Thanks for that, Ian

Pictures now at Rails

http://railsofsheffield.com/class-a1-60163-tornado-br-apple-green-4-6-2-locomotive-32-550a-JJJA12647.aspx

Looks lovely, they've captured the finish (polished metal) and character well.

Can't wait to get my mitts on one when they arrive in Stevenage (just got to find the time to travel up the ECML to pick it up!)

BUT (discerning hat on, if you don't want the criticism, look away now!)

I know photos can be distorted however....

This batch seems to suffer from Bachmann tendency to bend the cab running plate down, hence not in line with the tender (preproduction models are perfect http://www.railway-models.co.uk/748_1_105606666.html )

Not quite at bad as the models 60115, but noticeable... This is identified by the cab and tender running plates not lining up, and the rearmost spring hanger appearing to touch the running plate, whereas the front one has some clearance.

Loco will require a few days in the 'NRM Workshop' before entering traffic to straighten the running plate out - I ***think**** (haven??™t dismantled an A1 yet, but have seen one in the flesh and assembly diagram) the running plate doesn't naturally bed onto the Cartazzi truck; when the models are assembled, overtightening of the rear screws bends the running plate down until it touches the top of the truck. This results in the rear of the loco being lowered.

Annoying, if you can't live with it (and I can't!)

I only hope there aren??™t too many ???fragiles??? connecting the boiler and running plate! Still, it provides a good opportunity to paint up the cab detail.

IIRC Bachmann are providing etched plates - would have been a great to have supplied left off the printed names and included an alternative chimney as per her pre-naming state.... but then it appears as an anonymous loco in the shop display cabinet...so I can understand their logic!

Sad to hear the announced closure of RAF Cottesmore ??“ the station crest on one side of the loco

Pictures now at Rails

http://railsofsheffi...-JJJA12647.aspx

Looks lovely, they've captured the finish (polished metal) and character well.

Can't wait to get my mitts on one when they arrive in Stevenage (just got to find the time to travel up the ECML to pick it up!)

BUT (discerning hat on, if you don't want the criticism, look away now!)

I know photos can be distorted however....

This batch seems to suffer from Bachmann tendency to bend the cab running plate down, hence not in line with the tender (preproduction models are perfect http://www.railway-m..._105606666.html )

Not quite at bad as the models 60115, but noticeable... This is identified by the cab and tender running plates not lining up, and the rearmost spring hanger appearing to touch the running plate, whereas the front one has some clearance.

Loco will require a few days in the 'NRM Workshop' before entering traffic to straighten the running plate out - I ***think**** (haven??™t dismantled an A1 yet, but have seen one in the flesh and assembly diagram) the running plate doesn't naturally bed onto the Cartazzi truck; when the models are assembled, overtightening of the rear screws bends the running plate down until it touches the top of the truck. This results in the rear of the loco being lowered.

Annoying, if you can't live with it (and I can't!)

I only hope there aren??™t too many ???fragiles??? connecting the boiler and running plate! Still, it provides a good opportunity to paint up the cab detail.

IIRC Bachmann are providing etched plates - would have been a great to have supplied left off the printed names and included an alternative chimney as per her pre-naming state.... but then it appears as an anonymous loco in the shop display cabinet...so I can understand their logic!

Sad to hear the announced closure of RAF Cottesmore ??“ the station crest on one side of the loco

I think some of the problem looks almost like there is to much weight sat on the back of the loco

• RMweb Premium

Had a phone call yesterday from Richard to say that his consignment has arrived and there's a box with my name on it awaiting my collection and payment - and it's a lot less than I expected at ??105 - about the same as the box shifters once postage is added in - and I get the advantage of having the loco run for my approval and Richard's before paying and collecting plus no annoying postal delays or even more annoying little card saying they tried to deliver when they haven't.

Only problem now is that I'm off with the lurgie today, and Mrs 45156 will only let me go to the Dr tonight, not a diversion to Morecambe - but in any event, it's Wednesday, and Richard (being an old fashioned shopkeeper) has a weekday closing on a Wednesday - BLAST it'll need to be Saturday!

I've opted to not have it wrapped for Christmas now, and will get it into the rolling stock cupboard beside my other LNER pacifics (as I model LMS, what the blue blazes they're doing there, I don't know - well I do, they're good models!).

Interesting thing about this loco is that I can hang just about anything on the back and it will be prototypical - I've got a few spare Mk1s in maroon, blood and custard, and WR brown and cream - so far, I've seen Tornado haul all of these - often all at once - Maroon brake end will do nicely for the service coach, and the others can be almost anything and I'll still get away with it! I'll report back on my impressions next week.

.....Did anyone confirm if they have done the tender with the rollerbearing axleboxes?

.....the only visible difference is the "Al Timken" round covers (though happy to be corrected) If any etching companies want to manufacture them....

Not that simple. The Timken axleboxes are noticeably wider than the plain bearings. You'd need a dedicated set of eight tender boxes plus the Cortazzi pair for the trailing truck. I'm looking at using the LMS Ivatt roller boxes (not the springs) from Comet, combined with the existing Crownline springs and hangers, on my hybrid A1. Haven't worked out how to tackle the Cortazzi pair, though - that looks like very nervous sawing!

Picked mine up today

I know I shouldn't open it up till Christmas

but I can confirm that it does not have working lights.

These Pacifics are fiddly things to put on the track, its been a long time.

Very nice bit of kit though

• Like 1

... Loco will require a few days in the 'NRM Workshop' before entering traffic to straighten the running plate out - I ***think**** (haven??™t dismantled an A1 yet, but have seen one in the flesh and assembly diagram) the running plate doesn't naturally bed onto the Cartazzi truck; when the models are assembled, overtightening of the rear screws bends the running plate down until it touches the top of the truck. This results in the rear of the loco being lowered.

The cab, footplate and boiler are screwed together, which makes adjustment easy. Just release the representation of a conduit which hooks onto the fireman's side expansion link hanger, before parting body from chassis. If you want it to pull well, cutting down the carrying wheel springs, and ensuring that neither the drawbar nor the fall plate are actually supporting the rear of the loco on the tender, (and thus taking weight off the coupled wheels) may all need attention. (It may be Bachmann have dealt with some or all of these points since I last bought one of these beauties.)

The cab, footplate and boiler are screwed together, which makes adjustment easy. Just release the representation of a conduit which hooks onto the fireman's side expansion link hanger, before parting body from chassis. If you want it to pull well, cutting down the carrying wheel springs, and ensuring that neither the drawbar nor the fall plate are actually supporting the rear of the loco on the tender, (and thus taking weight off the coupled wheels) may all need attention. (It may be Bachmann have dealt with some or all of these points since I last bought one of these beauties.)

How brittle is the metal - I don't want to snap anything...! (we are talking minor adjustments, not giving an A1 an A4 style running plate!)

p.s. liking the extra wistle - good attention to detail there!

http://tinyurl.com/ykozk3s