Bachmann Tornado

G-BOAF

I have done a quick video of my Tornado visiting Rederring. I have fitted a sound chip using one of the ESU 3 Cylinder 2-6-4 sound projects modified with genuine Tornado whistles and the blow off at the station, these were recorded on my trip to the Severn Valley Railway on the 26th October. I will be working on the project and convert it to a complete genuine Tornado recording.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5O-13MYXoc"/url]

Peter

Here you go Peter - use the [media ][/ media] links to post it. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5O-13MYXoc

• RMweb Gold

I have done a quick video of my Tornado visiting Rederring. I have fitted a sound chip using one of the ESU 3 Cylinder 2-6-4 sound projects modified with genuine Tornado whistles and the blow off at the station, these were recorded on my trip to the Severn Valley Railway on the 26th October. I will be working on the project and convert it to a complete genuine Tornado recording.

sounds good, naughty boy having a spad though!!

my howes one is all fitted up and waiting for me to collect from bryan, just got the 250 mile round trip to collect to think about, hoping to get down there early new year, when i do i'll get a video up too

Has anyone worked out how to remove the coal load yet - The assembly diagram imples it is removable (as most recent Bachmann tenders ), but blutack and fingernails suggests its not!

Shame as I've got a rather large lump of coal out of the real loco's tender that I was going to coal the model with.... hmmm

Being a bus man and slowly learning these secret railway terms, what is a SPAD? Once I know what it is I can remove it if it is not too painful! LOL!

Peter

Signal Passed At Danger

Passing a signal is front of loco or train passing signal post (I think, or it might be whatever electornic becons are used in addition to signals today). Either way, in that video the front of the loco was a good bogie-length passt the post. IIRC there was a case with B1 61264 a few years ago where it was impounded at Norwich having gone a buffer-length past a signal post.

• RMweb Gold

And I thought it was a sound problem!! :lol:

Well I did say I was a busman at heart and we usually ignore red lights so why bother with signals! Looks like I will just have to play some more trains and improve my driving skills! Any excuse, not that one is needed.

Thanks,

Peter

Wow, the A1 looks mighty impressive.

Anyone know of a Limited Edition version with a J. Clarkson figure? heh

Sam

A Jag XK120 is available from Oxford Diecast. Not sure what colours though!!!

For those detailing fans out there, the model needs additional OHL flashes on the inside of the cab roof, just above the rear edge of the cab window, about 9 inches 'up' the roof on both sides. And another 'inboard' of the airbrake equipment cubicle on the tender cab. (plus the control boxes for the lighting, OTMR etc, but you can't get transfers for those!!!)

Still no comments on the removability of the tender coal....????

Looks a fantastic model must get one next year cool.gif Just wondering has it got the nameplates already on the model or do you have to do it yourself if so whats the best thing to get them to stay there? One other thing does any money from the sell of this model go to the real thing at all???

ATB

JAmes

• RMweb Gold

Hi James,

The model has nameplates printed on but you also get an etched plate too. I doubt any money will go to the real thing unless you buy the model from the A1 Trust. I did this, I could have got it cheaper at my local model store but the profit was going to a good cause, you also get a special A1 Trust headboard.

Regards,

Peter

Hi James,

The model has nameplates printed on but you also get an etched plate too. I doubt any money will go to the real thing unless you buy the model from the A1 Trust. I did this, I could have got it cheaper at my local model store but the profit was going to a good cause, you also get a special A1 Trust headboard.

Regards,

Peter

Oh thats good then if they are already on the model but what do you do with the etched plate one'sicon_confused.gif

Also where on the A1 trust website is the tornado model or is it this one about half daown the page http://www.a1steam.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=224&Itemid=176 ???

ATB

James

Hi James,

Regards,

Peter

the A1 trust headboard is made by the same maker as the name plates that come with the loco from Bachmann

• RMweb Gold

i have in my posession the howes sound chipped tornado but unfortunatly i dont have a controller to hand to get a video of it, hopefully might be able to get a quick vid tomorrow in a local shop then possibly one of it at speed on bobs layout on sunday

The howes chip has a new feature on it added by bryan after reading comments in another thread about different sounds, he has added "sleeper creaking" on one of the functions so when its creeping round a yard over points the track appears to creak and groan under the weight of the loco, it can be latched on or pushed momentarily to give 9 seconds of creaks which fade out

the loco itself always has the sound running, so once you put it on the track it simmers away quietly, this enables you to switch function 1 off to get rid of the "chuff" when moving and put either the flange squeal or sleeper creaks on etc

cant remember the functions off hand but it has stuff like A1 whistle, chime whistle, drain cocks, safety valve, flange squeal, sleeper creak, guards whistle, doors slamming etc

as i say i'll try and get some videos over the weekend

• RMweb Gold

Whats the sticker price for that setup?

well the chip is ??115 plus the price of the loco so around the ??220 mark, howes will fit it up if you want him to but that costs extra, he did mine for me as i didn't fancy soing it myself, mine was the first and he has done another 4 to date so its a popular chip, probably more so now i've put the vid up...

hopefully i'll get it video'd at speed with a train tomorrow if i can get upto 250BOB's layout on my way into work

As i know nothing about Steam Locomotives, and the time frame they operated, i would like some help on a small matter.

My layout is to be Present day, however, i would like to run the A1 as a Day Special, if you see what i mean, but i don't know what stock it would haul.

Any advice is appreciated.

Sam