RMweb

Jazz 7mm Workbench

jazz

Hello again.  Nice to be back at the WB,  now finished the LNER T1.  (Definitely not a kit to recommend, it's more an aid to scratch building I think.)

I'm now starting, for me, the daunting task of lining out my Patriot LLANDUDNO.  

Nice looking job Ken, whose kit was it ? Best of luck with the lining.

OzzyO.

Hi all.  Got the lining done today.   I'm reasonably happy with it.

Just a small amount of careful touching in at corners to do.  Glazing, name plates etc and a final varnishing to complete.

Then the chassis requires the final assembly.

post-150-0-24548900-1423429554.jpg

post-150-0-91369100-1423429585.jpg

post-150-0-81214800-1423429570.jpg

• Like 18

Now that one looks like a Mainline Model very nice Ken.

Hmmmm.  It's definitely the Gladiator Patriot.  (Looking back, I guess I have forgotten to post some photos of the though. I know I have been weeks on this build, just an hour and an hour there.)

Hi Peter.  There is something about the LMS fully lined out livery, very handsome.

Being critical of your own work is the only way to constantly improve one's skills.  I have spent decades doing just that and still learning along the way.

(learning by doing has been my life long moto)

Another challenge started now, the Rainhill Heritage models Stephenson's Rocket.  Almost entirely cast brass. That will be a bit of fun, I think.

Edited by jazz
  • Like 1

Hi all.  It's now on with Rocket.  The castings are, so far, good and fit well.  There is an issue with the gear box though, the final drive gear wheel hole is way too small to fit the axle.  Getting a replacement may transpire but not holding my breath.

I have reamed the hole to make a tight fit on the axle. (Hope it works)  The gear wheel cannot be glued (It's plastic). As you can see in the photo, no room either side. I'm not sure I like the idea of depending on a push fit only. I presume the manufacturers running test dispels my concern.

post-150-0-86568500-1423992391.jpg

• Like 3

Ken, One of the tricks I've used was to fit a knurled bush into the gear wheel. Which meant boring out the gear for the bush to fit, which was then a press fit into the gear. The inside size of the bush was reamed 3/16, and was fixed with loctite. This worked really well on a couple of one off gearboxes I made, the only draw back is its on for life.

Good luck.

Simon

Guest Isambarduk

"One of the tricks I've used was to fit a knurled bush ... fixed with Loctite."

Me too.  Recommended if your solution results in slipping.  David

Both excellent ideas.  I have used locktite to fix the concentric valve gear bushes in place, that was no problem.  Then you have to slide the gear box/motor onto the 1/8" axle. Split the chassis at one corner insert the axle complete with motor unit and resolver the corner joint.  So it' impossible the 'glue' the gear wheel in place as it has to be pushed onto the axle before fitting it to the chassis. Plus there is no space either side of the gearwheel and the mount. I think the photo explains it all.

(It is how the instructions say to do it, I may add.)

post-150-0-69044300-1424033775.jpg

Edited by jazz
  • Like 2

Jazz

Can you tell me a bit more about the Rocket kit please? Google wasn't helpful.

A friend of mine was the operational replica until recently and I would like to tell him about the model

Paul

It's produced by Sanspareil under Rainhill Heritage Ltd . Good luck contacting him, email only shown on 0  Gauge Guild traders site.   sanspareilics@aol.com

Chris Basten (Dragon Models) has an interest in this venture and he also sells the kit I believe. 02920 531246.. Nothing on his website about Rocket though.

Onwards and forewords with Rocket. Quite tedious to build, mainly because of the diminutive size. Much more used to having room to play with.  The motor unit is a tight fit. Now for adding the plethora of really small casting dotted around the boiler and firebox. I am thinking all the copper pipework will have to be left removable for the paint stage.

One thing is certain, as warned in the introduction, getting at the motor will be impossible when finished. So painting will be a challenge anyway.

post-150-0-52556700-1424119703.jpg

• Like 4

Hi all.  Rocket is almost done. And this has me hankering after scratch building the Liverpool Manchester LION loco. (Titfield Thunderbolt fame)

I cannot find any 7mm drawings. All my searches have drawn a blank and do response from NRM regarding it either. Help on this would be appreciated.

Thanks, Ken

Hi all.  Rocket is almost done. And this has me hankering after scratch building the Liverpool Manchester LION loco. (Titfield Thunderbolt fame)

I cannot find any 7mm drawings. All my searches have drawn a blank and do response from NRM regarding it either. Help on this would be appreciated.

Thanks, Ken

"LBSC" designed a 3.5" and 5" gauge version.  Its not an exact scale model, but its probably pretty close to give you the basic dimensions.

Plans/castings are currently available from Reeves Model Engineering.  You might be able to contact them an get just an erection drawing instead of the whole drawing set, I did notice that they do sell the plans 1 sheet at a time for some of the other engines, and the drawing set isn't cheap, but nothing from Reeves is! ;)

http://www.ajreeves.com/titfield-thunderbolt-107-c.aspis a direct link to the 5" gauge version, the drawings for the 3.5" gauge version are probably very much the same, except for the actual dimensions...  \

Or you might be able to hunt down the issues of Model Engineer it was described in and get just the first few...  (note that volume 108 is from 1953!!!)

good luck!

Thanks for all your replies, guys.  Just purchased above book on ebay. (I remember this is the book I used to build LION quite a few years ago)

Thanks again, Ken

Thanks for all your replies, guys.  Just purchased above book on ebay. (I remember this is the book I used to build LION quite a few years ago)

Thanks again, Ken

Jazz,

If you visit lionlocomotive.co.uk there are pictures and some drawings of Lion.