Jazz 7mm Workbench

jazz

Hi again.  Yesterday was spent doing these wagon and they are now ready for lettering.

post-150-0-72269600-1486230812_thumb.jpg

The tender all finished except for the raised front footplate. I am waiting to complete the engine first to get the correct height of that.

post-150-0-30868500-1486230929_thumb.jpg

Today I have started the engine chassis. The centre axle is sprung as usual.

post-150-0-59797300-1486231073_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Ken: any chance of a photo of the underside of the chassis? I am interested in the spacer arrangement.

Hi David.  You will note I have chopped clearances for the large plunger pickup on the horizontal spacer. (This is also suggest in the instruction sheet for plunger pickups) This then required the two thin supports made from scrap off the etches.

post-150-0-64075400-1486281989_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-75107100-1486282035_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-67068900-1486282060_thumb.jpg

Edited by jazz
  • Like 4

Hi again.  Playing around with my rolling stock on the WB this morning but got a little more done on the Scott chassis this afternoon.

The coupling rods were drilled out for their bushes and were a snug fit and amazingly the chassis rolled along with a gentle push. How I wish this would happen with every build. Mostly there is a slight tight spot to ease out.

Here she is ready to make up the valve gear.

post-150-0-71333200-1486403722_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Hi again.  A beautiful sunny and warm day so advantage was taken outside.  Still had time to done a bit more on the chassis though. Made a start on the valve gear.   A fair amount of time was needed to get the cross heads to run like a Swiss watch but they are now running very smooth.

post-150-0-71988200-1486587992_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Hi all. Cracking on with the body now.  No problems with it today, all fitted well together. Only the firebox, curved drops on the front and rear footplate required annealing to make the bends easy. Also the firebox washout plug holes needed opening up with a drill. No reason why the remainder of the body should cause problems with these well designed kits.

post-150-0-22207000-1486835383_thumb.jpg

Edited by jazz
  • Like 12

Yesterday saw a bit more work on the body.  Today starts the detail castings. It has been decided to not add the boiler bands at this stage.  This is due to the fact they are very thin and almost invisible in photographs. So they will added after painting with the just the lining tape. This has been successful in the past.

post-150-0-89274800-1486977309_thumb.jpg

Edited by jazz
  • Like 6

Yesterday saw a bit more work on the body.  Today starts the detail casting added. It has been decided to add the boiler bands at this stage.  This is due to the fact they are very thin and almost invisible in photographs. So they will added after painting with the just the winning tape. This has been successful in the past.

attachicon.gifscott body 2 - 1_Fotor.jpg

A bit of editing needed I think Ken . Written late at night after too many whiskeys? :no:

Kind regards

SAndy

A bit of editing needed I think Ken . Written late at night after too many whiskeys? :no:

Kind regards

SAndy

Hi Sande. Riet rite.  In a bit of a rush at breakfast this morning and not noticed the stupid Mac which changes some words as you start typing. Plus, of course a liberal dose of whisky in the for breakfast porridge.

• Like 1

Quite right Simon. Whiskey will go with a lot of things as will porridge. I have to say, I've not actually tried it with whiskey but it sounds good to me.  I usually have my daily porridge with either honey, strawberry jam, nuts or fruit.

• Like 2

Hi all.  Just about ready for the clean up and priming tomorrow. Then the final finishing or the motion parts. The smoke deflectors are held in place by small hooks from scrap etch over the handrails plus two pins from 20" wire through the footplate. This allows easy removal for painting and then can be permanently fixed in place if required.

post-150-0-03193300-1487262610_thumb.jpg

Showing hooks and pin on deflector

post-150-0-57531600-1487267781_thumb.jpg

Edited by jazz
  • Like 7

Jazz,

I have been looking back through your builds and you often refer to your "usual method of springing", as with the tender on your current build. Could you explain this to an inexperienced builder? I have so far only built rigid chassis and they have worked fine. However my next build is a Caley 4 4 0, and having heard all the problems with this wheel arrangement I am wondering whether to risk some sort of adaptation.

I've a feeling I know what Ken's going to say, so I'll let him explain his approach.

I have only one tank loco with a rigid chassis, the very first I built, and it's the worst at stalling due to poor pick-up, so much so that I'm more than tempted to modify it. My other locos are sprung or equalised, naïf the have tenders, they pick up too.

The simplest modification would probably be to do what Ken does...

Best

Simon

Another great railway modelling (building things) thread that passed under my radar. You certainly build a variety of locos so I presume you either enjoy building or you do a lot for other people. Whatever, you are producing some smashing stuff.

Edited by coachmann

Jazz,

I have been looking back through your builds and you often refer to your "usual method of springing", as with the tender on your current build. Could you explain this to an inexperienced builder? I have so far only built rigid chassis and they have worked fine. However my next build is a Caley 4 4 0, and having heard all the problems with this wheel arrangement I am wondering whether to risk some sort of adaptation.

Hi Shez.  My springing is a very simple but very effective.  (There are photos in the earlier posts). I will explain them, firstly I think springing all the loco centre axles plus the tender as it aids current pick up on the loco and prevents the centre wheels on the tender actually stop rotating on slightly uneven track.

Your 4-4-0 is ripe for springing the unpowered axle.  First you have to be confident that you can accurately mark out the frames ready for making the oval for the axle bush. I do this by reaming the axle hole to be a nice fit for the bush then using a set square scribe vertical lines on each side if the hole and a horizontal line approximately 1mm from the top and bottom.   I then tack solder both frames together.

Now for the critical bit.  Its best to have a V cut in your work top, (I use the one for fretting out brass sheet for scratch building.) Now using a round file carefully file the oval slot checking with the bush to make sure you are following the scribe lines until the bush will slide up and down smoothly. NOTE: great care is needed to ensure the coupling rods will not bind.

Good news is that is the hardest part over.  Now for the springing. Using 20 thou piano wire make a short length and solder in place across about the centre of the oval.  Tension on the "spring" can be adjusted by bending the wire up or down.

The photo will explain what a thousand words take. This is the tender on the Scott build. The wire is soldered at the end on the left of the bush. It has angles bent on to hide the wire on this particular.

post-150-0-98466100-1487441450_thumb.jpg

Jazz,

Edited by jazz

Another great railway modelling (building things) thread that passed under my radar. You certainly build a variety of locos so I presume you either enjoy building or you do a lot for other people. Whatever, you are producing some smashing stuff.

Hi Coachman.  Thank you for the compliments.  Yes, I build a huge quantity of locos of all shapes and sizes.  They are definitely not all mine though.

• Like 1

Hi agan.  The Royal Scott is now done and dusted ready for collection. Looking forward to next project.

OOPs, should have put on some track so the tender sat in line to the loco :no:

post-150-0-02978500-1487443402_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-17019400-1487443422_thumb.jpg

Edited by jazz
  • Like 8

The next project. I have a Gladiator LNWR 6 wheel passenger brake that has been under the EB for ever. BUT I have a fair bit to do on my layout. There is the over bridge or tunnel entering the fiddle yard. Warehouse buildings and other scenic items to build. By then I hope it's warm enough to restart the work on the layout. Notwithstanding numerous loco kits of my own to tackle plus the remaining rolling stock to fit the Dingham coupling to. Y'know, there is just not enough time in the day and they say retirement can be boring, I think not.

• Like 2