Jazz 7mm Workbench

jazz

Hi Simon. I will concede to that.  One last comment on the subject, I love the control panel and flicking the switches etc. Kind of like a signal box in which I spent many a happy hour keeping the signalman company watching operations.

Regards, Ken

Hi Ken

I learned my signalling at Diggle on the late Ken Longbottom's spectacular model.

He had contrived that the signal and point levels controlled the track sections so there was no section switching at all - if the route was signalled, it worked! it's a while ago, but I don't recall any controller /cab switching either, though I rather suspect there must have been, as there were multiple controllers.

I think DCC allows the locoman to drive and the signalman to signal in the same way, but with much less hassle, and much simpler wiring - I know it's possible but I am disinclined to operate the points & signals using DCC control

If Chris K and others get their way, locos will be r/c battery operated and that will be simpler again - it sounds very sensible to me! (But I want sound!)

Best

Simon

Simon, I remember Ken Longbottoms railway well. I had a few sessions on it back in my younger days.  It was an amazing layout.  Is it still running I wonder?

It hasn't run for a couple of years now. I think mice, decrepitude and lack of maintenance have seen it off. The current owner doesn't hold out much hope for it so you can draw your own conclusions!

JF

It was indeed a superb creation. Ken was a very capable & determined man, and, a fantastic teacher. I learned a great deal by working with him, as a very raw teenage modeller. I was very privileged, as the pal of the son of one of the regulars, to become a regular myself, from around 74 to 77, and rather less regularly thereafter.

Happy days, and some very happy late evenings!

Best

Simon

At last she is ready for the big cleanup and applying the primer. The latter will have to wait for the weather to improve, way too cold in the garage.

This has not been an easy build by any stretch of the imagination, not a bit like other JLTRT kits I have built.  I has been a test of my patience and a lot of guess work has been applied.  The chassis etch was totally different from that shown in the DVD from JLTRT so that left me trying to figure it all out.

Any the that's the moan for now and here she is waiting for the weather to improve after tomorrows cleanup.

Next on the WB is the David Andrews L1 2-6-4 tank.  This should be a much more relaxing build.

post-150-0-17144100-1484417001_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

I do not know the various nicknames BUT the kit says it's a LNER L1 Zeppelin ex GCR 1B.   In Yeadons register published in 1953 it is an L1. However, Tony is correct in that they became the L3.

Edited by jazz

A heat wave over the weekend (10 C ) enabled me to prime the Hall.  I thought I would never get it finished. Quite pleased with the result bearing mind this is the standard kit as opposed to the super detailed kit.

Tomorrow I open the box on the David Andrews L1/L3 LNER tank. I dod not expect any problems with this kit :yes:

post-150-0-10895700-1484686574_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-03669700-1484686599_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

Hi all. We are to a good start with the Davis Andrews LNER L1/3 tank.  As I thought, looks like a lovely kit to build as I have found all his are and not to forget the Gladiator ones which are the same to build.

Starting with a look at the chassis, all very nicely etched.

post-150-0-02361100-1484850093_thumb.jpg

Yesterday afternoon spent quickly removing all the etches from the fret and a cleanup around the edges they were ready for folding up where required and opening up the various holes and axle holes. elongating the centre axle hole in my usual method.

Todays session with the iron and almost finished the chassis.

post-150-0-16623200-1484850357_thumb.jpg

The brake gear is a simple affair and when together very well.

post-150-0-16866200-1484850564_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

Hi all. Starting today session with photo with yesterdays completion of the chassis so far. Now it's on with the body. Hope this huge motor will fit without too much butchering of the chassis or body.

post-150-0-01793100-1484991843_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

A good start on the body today.   It's fitting together very well. As predicted some chopping of the chassis to get the motor to sit exactly horizontal plus a fair bit of surgery to the firebox front and rear of the boiler. All is well now and fitting well.

A couple of essential tools on the WB is the bending bars and rolling bars.

post-150-0-84790500-1485024083_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-48810300-1485024107_thumb.jpg

The alterations to the firebox and boiler.

post-150-0-04669300-1485024152_thumb.jpg

Edited by jazz
  • Like 4

Fascinating.  I've never seen rollers which needed to be held in a vise.  I've always seen them with both ends supported/bolted to the workbench.  Are they homemade, or commercially available?

They look like the 10" ones GW Models. He is hard to contact only on phone. I have emailed in the past but replies are slow. No website but does some shows, (not much use in the US).

I have to say I have not seen him at the Telford show for quite a few years.

George was at the Guildford Group Reading show in December (and has been at that show for several years). I've always managed to contact him by phone and he's always been very helpful. 

Dave

They look like the 10" ones GW Models. He is hard to contact only on phone. I have emailed in the past but replies are slow. No website but does some shows, (not much use in the US).

Some years ago a friend bought a set (doubt if he's ever used them to make anything!) so, being a cheapskate and and having a workshop copied them using off-cuts of steel I had lying around.  The only items I bought in were a set of Meccano gears from a place in Bradford. It was a very simple, enjoyable exercise but you need a lathe for turning down the ends of the rollers - the rest can be done with hand tools. If you fancy having a go at making your own I'm happy to advise.

Ray.

A good day at the WB with no interuptions, a bit rare lately.  The body is going together very well after having to do the surgery to get the motor in. the only thing up to now was the beading over the bunker rear, this was a couple of mm too wide at the rear. Very easy to fix and an invisible joint in the centre was made. The roof is held in pace like a snuff box lid i.e. using a couple of strips go etch off cuts cut for a snug fit fore and aft along the cab sides.

A few more small etches to attach, then on with the castings.

It has been a pleasure to build after some of the recent builds.

post-150-0-19290600-1485187486_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-87819800-1485187504_thumb.jpg

Edited by jazz
  • Like 7