Jazz 7mm Workbench

jazz

Hi. Now't unusual about the springing. Just the usual elongated bush hole and 20thou piano wire. (Complete with the, almost, usual rust on quite a few Slater's wheels on opening the packet)

post-150-0-21636000-1495971804_thumb.jpg

Edited by jazz
  • Like 5

This afternoon the remainder of the chassis constructed and now it's on with the body. Will still be sharing my time with the layout build though.

post-150-0-75838500-1495989938_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Hi. Now't unusual about the springing. Just the usual elongated bush hole and 20thou piano wire.

Hi Ken,

I've been using the same method on the centre drivers for years, albeit with various methods to stop the bearing falling out when the wheels are removed and to stop it rotating. All of them having the risk of soldering up the bearing. However a couple of weeks ago in the archive section I came across this method on your thread from some years back, which I have used on my L1 build.

post-13414-0-31634300-1496045824_thumb.jpg

Elongated frame hole, simple spring with "L" shaped end, which locates into a hole drilled half way through in the bearing. Brilliant. Thanks for the idea.

Your photo appears to show that the spring is straight at the bearing end, so what stops the bearing from rotating in the frame hole and having a groove worn in it by NS?

Cheers,

Peter

• Like 2

Hi Peter.  I stopped using the L into the bearing some time ago. The bush appears not to rotate, only very little it it does move.  Some of my builds do a lot of milage on large layouts and no problems have been observed.

Hi Jazz,

Can't argue with that. I still like your original idea with the L on the end and will go with that in future. Belt and braces, and in my case I only build one or two kits per year so I have the time.

Cheers,

Peter

I put this question on my own thread but will repeat in case you have not sen it. Do you have to use a particular solder or flux to secure the piano wire?

I use MBO Z60 flux and MBO Sn50PbCd18 solder for almost all the build. The exception is low melt for detail castings in white metal.

You could use Carr's red label and any 147 solder though, not quite as good as the above but will still do the job. The above is my preference as it allows rapid soldering and is very kind to the iron bits. (Mine typically will last in constant use for up to 12 months) It also allows the solder to run very quickly into the joints.

Hi all. A little bit done today i.e. a start on the body. Fairly straight forward so far. I'm sure something will cause a head scratch before it's finished though.

post-150-0-06717400-1496250135_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

More progress today.  Strange thing, etch number 1, the front lower footplate was not present on any of the etches. Thankfully a scrap piece of brass solved that problem. The frame extensions were on the fret though.

The usual fettling to get the boiler unit to correctly line up, also the splashers required quite a bit of filing to get a good fit.

Other than that, all went quite well.

post-150-0-91714900-1496336904_thumb.jpg

Edited by jazz
  • Like 10

OK, this has been a bit of a frustrating build, a lot of the parts gave no clue to the exact positioning. Also no hints exactly how some of the etches where to be attached. So a lot of experimenting was the order of the day. The deflectors are one point in question. Usually I drill tiny holes in the footplate for pins and the straps fit over the handrails. On this loco that cannot be done. So I soldered a couple of strips of scrape on the tops of the valve casings and then the deflectors will be glued to them after painting, likewise they will be glued to the handrails.

Anyway it all looks OK and awaiting a good clean up for priming.

post-150-0-96194800-1496598522_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-48845100-1496598537_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

At last the Claughton is finished. It has to be said it was not up to the usual standard of David Andrews kits I am used to.

post-150-0-97903500-1496767086_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-09372600-1496767100_thumb.jpg

Edited by jazz
  • Like 11

Just an update as I am very quiet on the WB building as I am taking advantage of the much awaited weather improvements allowing work on the layout.

Some quick photos of the progress so far (It's far from finished though)

The signal is powered and an LED behind the spectacles. The lamps are not yet wired either.

post-150-0-76002000-1497165582_thumb.jpg

Morning pickup goods arrives

post-150-0-64266600-1497165613_thumb.jpg

Billy goes to meet the goods train

post-150-0-69230400-1497186864_thumb.jpg

Waiting for the first passenger train of the day as it sets back.

post-150-0-51130500-1497165635_thumb.jpg

The factory all quiet at the moment

post-150-0-45354300-1497165649_thumb.jpg

View across from the coal yard with the Cornish hills in the distance.

post-150-0-93278600-1497165663_thumb.jpg

Vans awaiting loading in the goods shed.

Edited by jazz
  • Like 6

Hi again, one final photo of the layout for a while, the daughter is arriving from the States for a weeks stay, so here is todays work. This a scratch built and I can tell you the fencing took forever. All laminated from Slater's micro stip. A final wash of thin dirty white to simulate the lime used on the  dock.

Note the narrow gauge line that runs from the nearby china clay mine to the junction at Bodmin

post-150-0-16485400-1497193011_thumb.jpg

Edited by jazz
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again.  The building of the cattle dock prompted me to purchase these two Slater's cattle wagons. Very nice kits they are too. I have weathered them as well.

post-150-0-96822500-1498334110_thumb.jpg

Also I have purchased these very nice GWR ground signals from northwesternmodels.co.uk.  They come ready painted in cast metal at the pricey sum of £4.95. That can't be bad.

post-150-0-24382500-1498334478_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-31244200-1498334505_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all.  I have been working on and off on this now quite old kit. It's a JM (Just Magic) Fowler 2-6-4T, the Stanier version. It's a long time since one his kits crossed my WB.  Well before the CAD offerings of today. I must say though that in some aspects it is better than some of todays CAD offerings in that there was little to do in fettling to get a good fit of the etches.  The boiler we interesting in that is heavy brass tube and the smokebox is a tight fitting couple of larger tubes. Thankfully already fitted and they are tight. That left just the wrapper to solder around it.

There was hundreds of rivets to punch out and I was seeing double at the end of the day.

You will see there is a huge motor/gearbox unit fitted. Quite a bit of cutting out the boiler tube to get in there.

The cab roof is left loose to access the cab.

Tomorrow, I hope, my 64xx pannier tank will arrive from Springside and that is next on the WB for my Trenruth layout. (Another old school kit but looks like it will make a nice model if the casting are good.)

Anyway here are the photos of the 2-6-4T.

post-150-0-60439700-1499275284_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-18696000-1499275296_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-92585600-1499275323_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-76580900-1499275340_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-96638500-1499275359_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Hi all.  The Springside 64xx Pannier Tank arrived in a timely manner as promised.  Yesterday p.m. I made a start and got this far today.  I'm very impressed with kit, my first Springside, especially as it's considered 'old school'. The casting are good, just flash to carefully smooth off. The fit of ALL the parts are almost perfect too.

The instructions seem to promote the assembly using epoxy adhesive. I'm not a fan off using adhesives for assembly so I have soldered the vast majority of the build. I used 145 solder and a 50w iron. Flux used is Carr's Red Label.

Here she is for now.

post-150-0-28716900-1499536310_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-98212500-1499536332_thumb.jpg

Edited by jazz
  • Like 4

Looks nice, Ken.

I built their 45xx as my first 0 gauge loco. Progressed from there to the Hall, and then the 48xx. The 48' is not as good as the others imo. The chassis is completely daft, and I completely re-jigged it to compensate it properly. Runs ok now.

Cast w/m seems to have fallen from favour, but provided the edges of sheet metal things (cabsides, tender coal raves) are appropriately thin, I can see nothing wrong with it. It solders well, and gives a solid, weighty model, with potentially good detail. If it's well cast, as you note, the bits fit well, and, it's relatively easy to drill, unlike some of the modern resin boilers.

Watching with interest as always

Best

Simon

• Like 2

Hi.  The 64xx is progressing well.  I found a problem with the pannier sides being unequal in length. So out came the big big file and reduced the longer one by 1.75mm which made them all square and hunky dory. The boiler had to be reduced 2mm which did indicate that in the instruction sheet. Again all was soldered together except the chimney and dome. A very satisfying model so far.

It is also a very heavy model. All wheels are sitting on the sheet of glass plus the track has no dips etc so electrical pickup should not be an issue. 

Tomorrow I will not be on the WB, just when I'm on a roll too. The inside valve gear will be an interesting addition, even though it's dummy.

post-150-0-69584200-1499630680_thumb.jpg

post-150-0-14368200-1499630690_thumb.jpg

Edited by jazz
  • Like 8

Hi.  The 64xx is progressing well.  I found a problem with the pannier sides being unequal in length. So out came the big big file and reduced the longer one by 1.75mm which made them all square and hunky dory. The boiler had to be reduced 2mm which did indicate that in the instruction sheet. Again all was soldered together except the chimney and dome. A very satisfying model so far.

It is also a very heavy model. All wheels are sitting on the sheet of glass plus the track has no dips etc so electrical pickup should not be an issue. 

Tomorrow I will not be on the WB, just when I'm on a roll too. The inside valve gear will be an interesting addition, even though it's dummy.

attachicon.gif64xx 3 - 1_Fotor.jpg

attachicon.gif64xx 4 - 1_Fotor.jpg

Ken

There is something odd about the rear of the cab. I'm sure the bottom of the windows should not extend  below the top of the bunker. I'm no GWR expert but it doesn't look right to me!!

Regards

Sandy

Ken

There is something odd about the rear of the cab. I'm sure the bottom of the windows should not extend  below the top of the bunker. I'm no GWR expert but it doesn't look right to me!!

I agree, Sandy. Ken's photo above is taken from a low viewpoint which does not show the bottom of the window anyway. This view, however, tells a different story.

post-5366-0-24906000-1499671397_thumb.jpg

Dave