MRJ 246

Not Jeremy

• RMweb Gold

I don't know what the circulation is, or what the readership demographics are, but both my local newsagents have stopped stocking it, meaning a trip to Plymouth now.

I did ask, could they get on for me, but was told it just wasn't worth it as they have noticed a decline in the sale of Railway mags over the last 18 months or so.

Snap! I think I will take a subscription out at Railex!

Regards,

Nick.

….

And is it me or is this an unbelievably tedious thread for this issue?

Gerry

Indeed - I came very close to buying at least one member a year's subscription so as to help keep the threads for the next few issues clear…...

Not everyone can justify a subscription for a periodical that might not always hit the spot, but I find that even those issues which had no appeal on arrival have proved very useful in later years.

One constructive suggestion (not issue-specific):

I get really irritated when the scale is not stated (indeed I'm sure there have been some articles where it was no mentioned at all) - often it is not obvious given the skilled work displayed, and once I had to rely on knowledge of named component suppliers to work it out!!

• RMweb Premium

Have to agree that this endless moaning on about whether a particular issue has arrived at Ulan Bator's Smiths is about as boring as RMweb gets. MRJ246, by contrast, is excellent. Martin Stringer's description of his Tollesbury Quay layout is delightfully written and very informative, the two colour pics of Keir Hardy's Hornsey Broadway a huge inspiration to those of us trying to model urban locations.

Have to agree that this endless moaning on about whether a particular issue has arrived at Ulan Bator's Smiths is about as boring as RMweb gets.

Bl**dy H*ll! has it. I better get down there fast before they sell out. I do hope Cygnet will take on my suggestion to have an edition printed in Mongolian.

P

And is it me or is this an unbelievably tedious thread for this issue?

Gerry

Oh indeed it is.

But it does amuse some of us simply folk.

I do appreciate the kind response my comments receive from other posters.

What exactly do you have to add to the thread?

Bernard

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps what we need is something like an RMWeb poll, where every branch of WHS is listed, and each branch gets ticked off on the list when each issue of MRJ arrives in stock. That way we could build up a comprehensive picture of Cygnet-WHS distribution logistics and the lucky few may be able to target the most efficient branch and thus get their copy that vital day or so earlier.

You could organise that Tim, now you have a bit of extra time on your hands! :-)

I'll now duck for cover as past copies of MRJ are thrown towards me! ;-)

Kind regards,

Nick.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the comments, Adam. Mine about etched parts was general following a struggle with such a kit, as I was aware that you had not used an etched body. Yes, metal is much better for axleguards and the like but not so good when a component should be 9 x 5 inches, such as a typical wagon solebar (3 x 1 2/3 mm in 4mm). That is why I have a good stock of MJT and similar axleguards for my mainly plastic wagons to go with selected cast parts. Off piste but I may as well say it here: what I would love is a supply of 5/6 (33 thou) and 1 2/3 mm (66 thou) plastic sheet for the typical body planks and underframe components.

And I love that photo of a plotting table. My mother did that during the war.

Jonathan

Bl**dy H*ll! has it. I better get down there fast before they sell out. I do hope Cygnet will take on my suggestion to have an edition printed in Mongolian.

P

...that's a load of old Xor

• RMweb Gold

Liverpool Street. That gave me a bad head finding that one. The only London station I have no real knowledge of. And I'm of Essex heritage! Holds head in shame!

Terry

Thanks Osgood!!

I rather liked Metropolitan Junction, especially the model of the J tank (although I'm sure it would never have pulled Bulleid coaches in that livery). I'm definitely in the group of people who've never previously encountered Metropolitan Junction, so that was an interesting read.

The article on Metropolitan Junction is also intereesting - and has a track plan. Another layout where there is a feeling of spaciousness in a pretty small area, though a very different style. And done just after the War!

Jonathan

I am glad that you enjoyed the write up. There are (hopefully) two more track plans that show the layout developing. That was just the first track plan, and did you notice the coat of arms in it?

That first picture (although with a mismatch of liveries) deserves closer scrutiny. The coaches, loco and signal are all scratch built and are all prize winning models.

post-4587-0-22600600-1459890401_thumb.jpg

Here is the photo from the 1950 MRN of the J1. "the diameter of the chimney is just a trifle too much. Possibly not enough was allowed for the thickness of the paint"

Andy

• RMweb Gold

Picked up my copy yesterday and turned in early for a bed-time read.

I was completely blown away by the standards achieved by D.A. Williams under less-than-ideal conditions in the early 1950s.

Yesterday, Mr Williams and Metropolitan Junction were completely unknown to me. Today, I have a new "must see".

My first task this morning has been getting the train times to Bracknell for the 14th May.

John

The really interesting feature of Metropolitan Junction, not mentioned in this article (but it may perhaps feature in Part 2) is that all the points were actually operated by working point rodding - not under-baseboard, but the more-or-less scale point rodding seen in the photos of the layout.  D.A.Williams explained the installation of this rodding in an article in the Constructor in the early 1950s.

Here is the photo from the 1950 MRN of the J1. "the diameter of the chimney is just a trifle too much. Possibly not enough was allowed for the thickness of the paint"

Andy

The J1 is pretty high up my personal wishlist of models - they're a lovely looking locomotive. 

Do the locomotives still exist? And will they be running on the layout at Expo EM? 

Do the locomotives still exist? And will they be running on the layout at Expo EM?

They certainly still exist as I admired them on the EMGS stand at the Southampton show. The Lord Nelson, with that unique firebox was what I most admired and I believe it's a runner. I quite agree about the J1, a handsome machine indeed.

Adam

Archived