The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

The Future is Glass!

shortliner

• RMweb Premium

Looks very slick, but still ignores known realities like the video conference call where the people on the screen are looking directly at the camera as if they're looking at the person looking back at them, which isn't what happens in real life and there aren't (to the best of my knowledge) any technologies on the horizon that will allow that. Also, all the functionality displayed pretty much relies on cloud-based sharing of data, and with all the data breaches that keep occurring the displayed level of integration is highly unlikely to actually turn out in such a way. So, a sci-fi advert, for which the glass bits will happen, but the rest is fanciful.

This scares the xxxx out of me in that it is yet another indicator of a split future society.  Those that have money (lots) and those that don't.

Not entirely convinced by the safety aspect of the touch-sensitive cooker hotplate rings either. Kids will always find a way of turning them on and doing themselves an injury.

Sticking media on your bathroom mirror indicates that - like the corporate / managerial types who are "always on" - you can't do without the constant intrusion.

Not for me I'm afraid.

Ed

This scares the xxxx out of me in that it is yet another indicator of a split future society.  Those that have money (lots) and those that don't.

Got a big flat screen TV? They were about £20K 15 years ago.

All these illustrations are foreseeable and once there's a mass market we'll think no differently about them in a decade or so than the things we take for granted today.

I can certainly see mags and reading material being like 5:00 - 5:15 (apart from the Journal ;)).

• RMweb Gold

I wrote this comment on a phone that can also record full HD video, work as a GPS, browse the internet, play games , oh yes talk to other people and it costs the same as an oo gauge dcc aound loco. Imagine that 10 years ago

Interesting, makes you wonder what technology exisits in organisations, i mean, iphones tiny HD camera and touch screens, all born from military applications first. I have always thought the people higher up have newest technology and the world gets it after, interesting to note too that advert was made in 2010! So we have six years of development since that was filmed.

Not entirely convinced by the safety aspect of the touch-sensitive cooker hotplate rings either. Kids will always find a way of turning them on and doing themselves an injury.

Smooth ceramic topped induction cookers have been around for years. Normally they have separate controls.

Sticking media on your bathroom mirror indicates that - like the corporate / managerial types who are "always on" - you can't do without the constant intrusion.

great idea to be able to browse Rmweb whilst cleaning your teeth but doing work emails - nope :no:

Except for the touch sensitive aspect, bathroom TVs made from flat screens mounted behind the mirror have been a feature of luxury homes for donkeys years now.

Most of the underlying glass substrate manufacturing technology in this corporate infomercial from Corning is very real - even the flexible glass. The systems integration is the only missing piece.

I wrote this comment on a phone that can also record full HD video, work as a GPS, browse the internet, play games , oh yes talk to other people and it costs the same as an oo gauge dcc aound loco. Imagine that 10 years ago

Can you see everything clearly on your phone? I have to find my reading glasses and put them on, to read a text on my 9 year old phone that has far less features than yours. While wearing them the rest of the world is a blur, so I can't risk walking around doing other things, in case I trip, walk into someone, or get run over!

• RMweb Gold

Can you see everything clearly on your phone? I have to find my reading glasses and put them on, to read a text on my 9 year old phone

My phone can also record full HD video, work as a GPS, browse the internet, play games and yet it managed to cost a hundred quid less than my reading glasses.

Go figure.

• RMweb Premium

Interesting, makes you wonder what technology exisits in organisations, i mean, iphones tiny HD camera and touch screens, all born from military applications first. I have always thought the people higher up have newest technology and the world gets it after, interesting to note too that advert was made in 2010! So we have six years of development since that was filmed.

Don't necessarily expect military applications to always be the first ones, although they do indeed invent things. Military use requires lots of bespoke kit, provably tough and reliable, so sometimes looks a bit behind the times compared to consumer stuff.

• RMweb Premium

Most militaries now rely on COTS (commercial off the shelf) material for the bulk of their capability, for a combination of cost and also the fact that for many things the commercial market has driven innovation. Although the systems will generally be bespoke and built to military standards (such as DefStans) the component parts are increasingly COTS. Where it gets awkward is when they want the lower cost and through life advantages of COTS whilst simultaneously demanding some gold plated DefStan. A lot of manufacturers now just won't build military specific equipment as it is not worth their while. I did a lot with diesel engines and certain defence organisations genuinely couldn't grasp that when companies like Maersk were buying more engines than you can shake a stick at year on year along with major spare parts contracts the engine builders just weren't interested in jumping over hoops for the military market. The attitude is "that's the engine we make, if you don't like it buy somebody elses engines" as even if the MoD offer £££££££'s that money will still not be worth as much as what the same development team could deliver by working on commercial projects.

Archived