Hornby Sale.

steventrain

This looks worryingly like a fire sale a lot of those wagons listed on Hattons are this year's releases such as HAA in coal sector and the ice blue fish vans. The blue vans have only been in stock for a couple of months and could hardly be classed as dead stock. It could be Hornby clearing what they in stock to get money in the bank.

Some items look to be for sale at not much more than cost, depending of course on what that was, and there are some truly superb models for very low prices, 

When you remove VAT as for myself they look even more delectable, but what it means for Hornby's cashflow I can only speculate.  A recent-release B17, one of the finest RTR 00 models ever in my opinion, for $74  less VAT is about £60.  Hurts because I bought one at near RRP last Sunday!  I'll consider that a charitable act towards the model railway industry!

The two I checked ('Tornado' and 'Barnsley') are both still full price on Hornby's website, and Tornado has been at Hatton's £56 price for a couple of weeks now as I keep umming and ahhing over it. The Sunbeam Alpine has been a quid for over a year now as I bought two last year at that price.

I'm not so sure this is a fire sale so much as Hattons clearing out slow movers, which they do a lot.

Thanks for the heads up just got the Southern "Return from Dunkirk" set for £160.

Whilst I appreciate a bargain and have taken advantage it certainly is a worry that Hornby can't keep this up indefinitely and somethings going to give soon.

Nik

• RMweb Premium

New management at work?  This definitely appears to be a major clear-out of slower-selling items and possibly in advance of the Blue Box Business launching its own air-cons.  No doubt these prices will be announced by many other retailers in coming days; Hattons and Rails are often just the first.

It's worth remembering also that Hornby has now canned / deferred a significant number of announced releases so they appear to be scaling back big time in order to achieve some semblance of profitability.   Defaulting on banking terms isn't going to help anyone.

On the other hand when did you last see new locomotives offered for as little as £17 (even if they are the most basic of train-set items) and I might finally invest in that Brighton Belle I always thought could eventually come in at a price I feel I can justify.

• RMweb Gold

New management at work?  This definitely appears to be a major clear-out of slower-selling items and possibly in advance of the Blue Box Business launching its own air-cons.  No doubt these prices will be announced by many other retailers in coming days; Hattons and Rails are often just the first.

It's worth remembering also that Hornby has now canned / deferred a significant number of announced releases so they appear to be scaling back big time in order to achieve some semblance of profitability.   Defaulting on banking terms isn't going to help anyone.

On the other hand when did you last see new locomotives offered for as little as £17 (even if they are the most basic of train-set items) and I might finally invest in that Brighton Belle I always thought could eventually come in at a price I feel I can justify.

They are all listed on the "New Releases" section of Hattons website so they must be part of a clearout from Hornby's distribution centre.Not a healthy sign but a short term advantage to those who fancy a punt at some irresistible bargains and clearly an indication of why Hornby are cutting back on certain production items..They have been caught out by overstocking and duplication of existing lines accompanied by steep price increases across the board.

I sincerely hope they succeed in achieving a healthier future,A good time of the year for pruning and cutting out of dead wood in one's garden in order to ensure healthier growth.Spring....although you wouldn't know it  here with rime frost on the lawn after yesterday's onslaught of hail and sleet.

Meanwhile,to use an agricultural metaphor,make hay while the sun still shines and as it rises on this chilly part of the planet,plastic on amber alert !

• RMweb Gold

Some items look to be for sale at not much more than cost, depending of course on what that was, and there are some truly superb models for very low prices, 

When you remove VAT as for myself they look even more delectable, but what it means for Hornby's cashflow I can only speculate.  A recent-release B17, one of the finest RTR 00 models ever in my opinion, for $74  less VAT is about £60.  Hurts because I bought one at near RRP last Sunday!  I'll consider that a charitable act towards the model railway industry!

And towards me,Rob.Your tasty image has encouraged me to shortly indulge myself .If only I could encourage them not to use Yodel...ah well,at that price...one simply cannot complain.

So many models!

So little money.......

I'll just have to sneak R3318 under the radar.

Just a few thoughts on the other offerings. The 2P and 4F locos are really priced at the Railroad level, which is where they should have been from the start. The J15, D16, K1, B1 and B17s are price cuts of the highest order.  Including the various A classes and the Railroad P2, it looks like interest in the LNER wasn't as great as somebody at Hornby must have predicted.

I also see they have the former club limited edition R3250 at £115. Given its still being advertised as limited to 500 models, you begin to wonder how many Hornby sold when it was still a club exclusive.

Finally, the DCR livery class 31/4 for £79.  Wow.......

• RMweb Gold

And towards me,Rob.Your tasty image has encouraged me to shortly indulge myself .If only I could encourage them not to use Yodel...ah well,at that price...one simply cannot complain.

R 3318 duly ordered.My preference for Royal Mail and not Yodel emphatically expressed.We shall see...don't hold your breath.Never mind,I got an amazing bargain.

• RMweb Gold

R 3318 duly ordered.My preference for Royal Mail and not Yodel emphatically expressed.We shall see...don't hold your breath.Never mind,I got an amazing bargain.

What I ordered yesterday from Hattons arrived by Royal Mail and that's what I requested.

• RMweb Gold

Good as it is to get a bargain I can't help feeling that this is Hornby 'going under'. And the one thing I item I might be tempted by, the Castle (albeit as preserved but I'd backdate it) has a ski jump front footplate and a missing smokebox handle in the Rails picture which I think is typical of the problems Hornby currently face. Very sad. 

• RMweb Premium

I can't help feeling that this is Hornby 'going under'. . . . . .. Very sad. 

Why? They might be going through a bad patch (again) but don't forget Scalextric, Airfix, Corgi and Humbrol - Hornby isn't just model railways and despite all the froth on previous topics, we still don't really know where the specific problems are/were.

• RMweb Premium

I still don't like the uncurtained Brighton Belle enough to part with the cost of a full unit.  Motor coaches are available from a few places still.  Can't source a complete umber / cream unit at much less than full price though.

Treated myself instead to a half-price half-lavatory 2603 (2Hal for those scratching their heads) which is in the green FYE livery not yet represented among my SR units.

At the moment Hornby (the Group) are under the cosh but as has been said many times above, we don't know which members of the group are giving cause for concern. It could be that Hornby Railways are more buoyant than other group members and a sale of slower moving railway items might be required to keep the cahs flow going and the bank and other investors happy.

But what do I know, eh?

All WE can do is buy something and hope that it helps keep things afloat!

I've gone for R3318 too, its just a pity that there weren't any LNER liveried B17's available this year.

• RMweb Gold
Lots of minds seem to be thinking alike; that's another one fewer of R3318![/quote

Well if we can't see the pick of the bunch ....just my opinion of course.......then who can? Though I have to say that 31 452 prototype currently stabled at Derby and without logo is one mother of a bargain.

Had a run to Hattons this morning, first time at the new "shop". Sun, rain, wind, rain, hale, snow - we had the lot on the M62 from Warrington !!

I know the area well as I did 20 odd years on standby around here, but it really is in the middle of nowhere public transport wise - easy by car though, just watch the roadworks near the roundabout giving access to the industrial estate. 

The shop was hectic as they were in the middle of a "move around" to a larger display area (the lady told me) at the front. New cabinets going in and filling up, and a couple of assistants with desks / computers there to help. There is a laptop chained to the wall (well it's near Liverpool !!) for customers to use.

As usual first class service from helpful & knowledgeable staff.

I bagged a couple of Hornby Gresley full brakes for £24 each and a couple of maroon Gresley suburbans at £26 each. Was tempted by other things but wallet said NO 

I too can't get my head round this Hornby pricing. Some new Bachmann coaches in cabinets were full price, around £58 etc. They can stay there.

Brit15

I still don't like the uncurtained Brighton Belle enough to part with the cost of a full unit.  Motor coaches are available from a few places still.  Can't source a complete umber / cream unit at much less than full price though.

Treated myself instead to a half-price half-lavatory 2603 (2Hal for those scratching their heads) which is in the green FYE livery not yet represented among my SR units.

Sorely tempted myself, but I can't really justify a FYE version as I'm trying to stay "earlier" than that <sigh> but it's SUCH a good deal :( Must resist...must resist...

• RMweb Premium

I have to agree with you on the price of Bachmann coaches Apollo. Here in NZ the Bachmann Autocoach has just arrived at my local(ish) store, at an eye watering $238. About close to £100. I can buy a loco from the UK cheaper than that, including shipping.

Archived