Heaton Lodge Junction

On 17/01/2022 at 13:00, woodenhead said:

Most railway modelling is in a way depressing, unless you are modelling the current day then in some form or other you are harking back to an earlier time in your life where you perceived you were happier.

For you it is memories of a sunny day in Dawlish, on Heaton Lodge it is watching trains go by in Yorkshire in 1983.  I have finally found my happy place too - Northwest England in the 1970s - banger blue with DMUs, ideally I'd do Manchester Victoria, Crewe or York but I don't have the space or the skill so I imagine a what if scenario.

I don't know how that works for the many, including me who's modelling depicts periods long before we were born. My own modelling is the 1920's & 30's or earlier and I was born in the early 60's.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Spent all day today weathering and weighting (with lead) 43 new Dapol VEA’s. 
The Railfreight red on the vans appears to be self coloured plastic which is surprising. Even heavily weathered this plastic appearance is still apparent which is a tad disappointing. 
The roofs have all had a taste of Precision paints roof colour which gives them a nice dusty appearance. 
Tomorrow I’ll finish them, oil the axles and wire in a working Dapol brake light in the last van.

This train will then be hauled by a class 40 going forward ..

72A605B6-5514-4F68-87D6-4493694B59DE.jpeg

5F4FA861-BBED-4B1A-9308-D09FD82BAE24.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

Spent all day today weathering and weighting (with lead) 43 new Dapol VEA’s. 
The Railfreight red on the vans appears to be self coloured plastic which is surprising. Even heavily weathered this plastic appearance is still apparent which is a tad disappointing. 

As the VEA topic shows, and Richard has confirmed, the red is painted, although the plastic is also red. It sounds as if the answer is to paint the inside of the van black. The red in all the colour photos I've seen looks very accurate. They were very bright! Of course Pink is good because BR Railfreight red went pink in a year or three. 

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, 37260xbhrIS said:

Must admit not too impressed with the almost pink on these wagons.....

1 minute ago, hmrspaul said:

As the VEA topic shows, and Richard has confirmed, the red is painted, although the plastic is also red. It sounds as if the answer is to paint the inside of the van black. The red in all the colour photos I've seen looks very accurated. They were very bright! Of course Pink is good because BR Railfreight red went pink in a year or three. 

Paul

Good idea painting the interior black. I’ll try that.

Yes agreed when I repainted around 10 EWS VAA Heljan vans into Railfreight livery I used various pinky shades for the Railfreight red.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 17/01/2022 at 13:00, woodenhead said:

Most railway modelling is in a way depressing, unless you are modelling the current day then in some form or other you are harking back to an earlier time in your life where you perceived you were happier.

Not sure I agree with this - if it was, I probably woudn't be doing it!

No, I find it relaxing, pleasurable when watching / playing trains, and I get a sense of achievement when building / fettling / painting things.

• Like 4
  • Agree 10

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Crepello said:

Wow, that'll be an impressive train. Does it represent a particular working? Apologies if I've missed this earlier.

I remember some monster trains of vans coming out of Kineton during the Falklands war. They were brought up to Fenny Compton for handing over to BR. The place was crawling with police at the time.

When it was all over the unused stuff was returned for store and loaded vans left unattended everywhere. One day a 33 and Southern crew turned up at Banbury with a load from Portsmouth. They didn't sign the road beyond and there was no local driver to conduct or loco to take it forward so they uncoupled and headed home. The vans full of assorted munitions were left in Banbury over the weekend completely unguarded.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

I’m slowly working my way through servicing and repairing all the wagons including fitting brake lamps on all end ones. So far I’m 3 trains in.

This Dapol HAA is having a working Dapol brake lamp fitted using a CR2032 battery holder and a 2.2k resistor which makes the brightness of the lamp about right.

I don’t really care what the underside of a wagon looks like so after snipping off various bits I’ve hot glued the battery holder into place. All in all takes an hour.

I found a cargowaggen in a storage trunk earlier with its brake lamp still lit a month after the exhibition - so the batteries last well!

In case you’re wondering, the orange stripe underneath denotes it’s been serviced since the last exhibition.

74BF796C-2060-41F5-B1B1-594EC93649C2.jpeg

6FCB5836-D24D-4639-951C-B20D117FE4E7.jpeg

F842CB01-8037-47C0-A80C-2FE828272DE4.jpeg

• Like 18

That has brightened up my evening thanks,  just about to take the plunge and get an airbrush ironically. 

It’s the kind of straightforward but professional standard inspiration that can be hard to come by in this hobby (though that is improving). Really appreciate you taking the time to explain it 

• Thanks 1

Those ‘47’s - Especially the ‘Brontes’ remind me so much of the loco hauled Transpennines. 

Line me up a mark 2a TSO next to the loco please - heaters on full and winged headrests a slightly greasy dark grey. Oh, the memories. 

best wishes, Chris. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1