RMweb

Layout cleaning?

Note that this thread is not about track cleaning!  I have the Lanarkshire Modelling Supplies Hornby brake van conversion for that, and it does the job fine.

What I'd like to know is what folks use for cleaning dust, fluff and general debris from both the track and the scenic areas of their layouts?  I was thinking that one of those small, cordless, handheld vacuum cleaners might be useful.  I understand that the Dapol track cleaner has a vacuum function, but it seems to me that the scenic areas are as much if not more likely to accumulate unwelcome detritus - which could then migrate to the track and cause problems.

Any and all ideas welcome!

That's exactly what I use, a small cordless vac. It is permanently plugged in next to the layout so always available. Fine or medium brushes are also useful for sweeping the debris (where does it all come from?) into a place where the vac can get at them.

The cordless vac's are o.k. but you probably need to find one with quite a small nozzle, a lot of them have quite wide snouts, that can't get into tight spaces. It depends on the size of the layout, but they can be ideal.

On most conventional mains powered vacuums there's a relief valve somewhere on the handle or hose, that allows air to be sucked in other than at the tip, and reduces the suction at the nozzle end. I usually open this up, put a nylon stocking over the nozzle to prevent any loss of important bits not properly attached, and hold it about 20mm above the layout. 

Making the nozzle of a vacuum smaller, to get into corners,  just ups the suction through the remaining hole, so you have to be careful. Static grass seems to respond well to a light vacuum, trees and bushes less so as the attachment to armatures is generally less secure.

For the likes of building roofs, roads and other hard surfaces I brush with a lens brush to loosen the dust first. Anything removable and substantial, lke resin buildings, cars and the like can be washed in warm water with a toothbrush or similar.

As a final thought it's worth trying to minimise the problem by covering the layout when not in use with either fabric drape or lightweight rigid covers.

Peter

Peter

I tried various 'reasonably priced' cordless vacuum cleaners over the years with varying degrees of lack of success, generally ranging from 'totally useless' to 'utterly useless'.

Eventually I bit the bullet and invested in a Dyson cordless - which has two suction levels (both excellent), comes with all the little nozzles, etc., packed in with it and does the job absolutely superbly.

Every once in a while (about every 9-12 months or so) I also give the entire layout a once over with the big full-blown 'domestic' Dyson to really suck the more accessible areas clean....but you do have to be pretty careful with this of course....just sort of 'hover' an inch or two over the structures, trees, etc.

One other point which makes the Dyson cordless a great buy - the motor in mine packed up after about 6 months of regular use. One quick phone call to Dyson and a brand new motor AND a new battery pack were sent out immediately, completely free of charge - with no questions asked. You don't get that with the cheap 'B&Q' or eBay variety.

Of course, the Dyson cordless isn't eactly cheap....around £300. But in my opinion it was probably one of the best 'layout purchases' which I ever made.

Don Mason

...debris (where does it all come from?) ...

Our own skin and hair are tops, followed by fabric fibres. If in the happy position of having a dedicated room, carpets are very bad news, go for vinyl or similar, you might want to avoid wearing woollies; and keep the door shut. Keep the windows shut too at this time of year (Northern hemisphere) as the vegetable is showering the world with pollen...

• RMweb Gold

Sounds like a job for Mr EW with his noisy hoover!

Now he has left the country we are taking over that mantle

Usually have a duster on the go too - one of the synthetic feather-like ones works well

https://www.amazon.co.uk/forestfoxTM-Duster-Orange-Section-Attract/dp/B01D1JLWFS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1462786455&sr=8-1&keywords=synthetic+feather+duster

Phil

This is how I do mine:

I would be wary about vacuum cleaners, as they will strip anything that isn't stuck very firm off the layout. An old stocking stretched over the nozzle will help, but loose parts will still be sucked off and have to be re-attached.

£300 for a Dyson cordless.....and it broke down!  I use a British made Goblin (1935), still in perfect working order and not made in China, unlike Dyson's  junk...Ehr....Fantastic products........

It is used for layouts and modelling with a half inch PVC pipe extension tube, with a net cover over a 2 inch inlet. It gives a gentle lift to any dust, with a bypass valve or full power for the workshop. It also has washable cloth bags, no paper..

Several neighbours bought Dysons as they came out, all have worn out or failed, nuff said?

Stephen.

I can also recommend using a simple negative ion ioniser to attract fine dust etc., and the electronic guts in them make good static grass applicators as well!! In fact the internal units are sold on Ebay for about £2/3 pounds.

Stephen.

Prevention is better than cure.

The plastic dust-sheets your dry-cleaning returns in are ideal for laying over a layout when not in use. Cut the seams and you have double the size of dust sheet.

They're thin and lightweight, so little chance of snagging, and being transparent are ideal for continuing to admire your layout through whilst keeping the dust at bay.

When dusting is required I use a soft paintbrush to direct offending particles to a convenient open spot (such as the middle of a road) and then use the 'wand' attachment of a standard vacuum to suck it away.

Job done :)

A common topic for which there are many answers.  As my tinplate layout is fairly large and in parts difficult to get at, for me  any cleaning is a rarity!  Every so often I go over it with a feather duster or similar but otherwise its left natural.  With O gauge, dirt; clean dirt(!) that is,  is not so much of a problem on the track especially.  Any leaf drops from commercial or natural trees and bushes is left in situ.  Roads, etc, are brushed every now and again.  A lot of stock left on the layout get weathered with dust and these also are cleaned every so often.  It doesn't look as bad as it sounds and when did you last see a clean railway?

• RMweb Premium

I have a nozzle set that reduces from standard hose to about 1/4" bore and has a few extra bits including a brush.  I put a piece of screen over the large hose end to catch any major bits. I use the hose from the central vac, but there is also a portable, mains-powered, unit somewhere.

For delicate bits (locos and coaches) I have a shaving brush which is surplus to requirements. This is large but reasonably delicate.

Archived