Hornby Spares

I have a dead MN chassis requiring just (!) a drive gear.The original one split causing an annoying jerk and ticking sound. Its with a friend who has tried in vain to find a replacement gear. Several months on and no luck so far. I don't suppose the same gear is used in other Hornby locos, unless you know differently?

Tod

Compare service sheets for part numbers on Hornby site.

Compare service sheets for part numbers on Hornby site.

X8849 set is the most common across China built locos and should fit MN.

There is a comment regarding some early Bullieds, best check before ordering but commonly available - AC Models, Peters spares etc.

N

Edited by neal

• RMweb Premium

Thanks to 'Toboldlygo' I now have a working MN again. The part that broke on mine was the crank arm that fixes to the centre driver. I am in the process of making a replacement crank. I have not looked at other service sheets but it would be worth looking. 

• 7 months later...

Oh dear.

Recently purchased a lovely (and I mean it, one of the best RTR models) sound fitted Britannia – now a rare model, last in stock at retailer.

Perfect, BUT missing one of its cab wind deflectors (and the other hanging off).... completely missing, can't have left the factory with it. Spoke to retailer who suggested I contact Hornby. Hornby can't help (not available as spare, and they can't salvage from body).

Returning model not an option I want to consider (no other late deflector, correct cab vent, Britannias available in recent years), and in all other respects, mechanical and cosmetic is it great.

Therefore, If I keep the model, and wisht to have it in all its detail, it seems I have to buy another (albeit non-sound, cheaper) complete model to salvage a single part.

In terms of consumer rights, am I missing something here? I will be out of pocket if I want the 'complete' model I originally paid for (i.e. have to spend another £100+ for salvage model ontop of an already £250+ model).

Surely Hornby can't be so 'cupboard bare' in terms of parts or salvage?

What are my rights? I can't be the first in this situation...!

Paid by credit card - so that's one avenue I guess...

arg frustration.

I admire Hornby; some of their designs, when well executed, are industry leading, but support not so much (although credit to them, they were swift with their reply).

Contrast with Bachmann, who always seem willing to go every inch...

• RMweb Gold

Oh dear.

Recently purchased a lovely (and I mean it, one of the best RTR models) sound fitted Britannia – now a rare model, last in stock at retailer.

Perfect, BUT missing one of its cab wind deflectors (and the other hanging off).... completely missing, can't have left the factory with it. Spoke to retailer who suggested I contact Hornby. Hornby can't help (not available as spare, and they can't salvage from body).

Returning model not an option I want to consider (no other late deflector, correct cab vent, Britannias available in recent years), and in all other respects, mechanical and cosmetic is it great.

Therefore, If I keep the model, and wisht to have it in all its detail, it seems I have to buy another (albeit non-sound, cheaper) complete model to salvage a single part.

In terms of consumer rights, am I missing something here? I will be out of pocket if I want the 'complete' model I originally paid for (i.e. have to spend another £100+ for salvage model ontop of an already £250+ model).

arg frustration.

I admire Hornby; some of their designs, when well executed, are industry leading, but support not so much (although credit to them, they were swift with their reply).

Those wind deflectors come off very easily, they are also quite straightforward to make.It's been covered in various threads on here - much cheaper than getting another loco.

If they are the same as on A3's ? .I have a couple you can have as I use etched versions on mine.

I suspect not - the BR standard ones are angled on the outer edge, while the LNER ones are straight.... Not sure if the lenghts are the same.

Where did you get your etchings?

• RMweb Gold

Oh dear.

arg frustration.

I think you will find your rights are for Hornby to refund you which you say that you don't want to do. At that point I would say you have no claim against the credit card company as Hornby would have made you a fair offer.

As others have said, making a small part like that should be quite simple. Or run it with just one as I think such a situation was not that uncommon!

Roy

Oh dear.

arg frustration.

I have sympathy for your position, having had the same problem some years ago with an L1.

Not a lot you can do, save return the whole thing - a real pain - or make your own as suggested.

It would be really helpful if Hornby would sell these in say packs of ten, so we could have some spare and retrofit other locos, such as the Bachmann steamers which are not so detailed.

John.

Edited by John Tomlinson

I suspect not - the BR standard ones are angled on the outer edge, while the LNER ones are straight.... Not sure if the lenghts are the same.

Where did you get your etchings?

Chris Parrish  Perseverance Models at Goathland do various detail etches . Email him and he will send a list. I use the LNER version but there maybe others. Measure the size of the Brittania ones and I will let you know if same length. File a corner off to suit BR if same size.

Hello G-Boaf

A common problem - I had a similar dilema with a model of William Shakespear.

Those wind deflectors come off very easily, they are also quite straightforward to make.It's been covered in various threads on here - much cheaper than getting another loco.

As others have said making replacement deflectors is a possibiity.  It is an exercise that I have carried out now three times.

Ray

I think you will find your rights are for Hornby to refund you which you say that you don't want to do. 

Not really. The contract of sale for G-BOAF is between him and the retailer. It would be for the retailer to refund him. The shop would then have to take the matter up on their own behalf with Hornby. However, as you say, you do not want a refund, so it is largely irrelevant. 

• RMweb Gold

Not really. The contract of sale for G-BOAF is between him and the retailer. It would be for the retailer to refund him. The shop would then have to take the matter up on their own behalf with Hornby. However, as you say, you do not want a refund, so it is largely irrelevant.

Quite right, I misread it that he had contacted the retailer and that was Hornby.

Roy

In my case the model was sold at a considerable discount and was nio longer available at the manufacturer.  Yes the retailer would reimburse the original cost but he was not able to replace.  Do you return or do you keep - quite an easy decision.

The problem lies with Hornby who cannot be bothered to provide adequate spare parts.  I would contrast this with Bachmann who will supply the detail packs with the wind deflectors for those models currently in production.

Ray

hmm, that leaves me thinking - are there any Bachmann standard locos that have seperate wind deflectors?

Perseverance do not appear to make BR std cab deflectors (not listed in their 2017 list)

and yes to clarify, I did raise the matter with my retailer, who referred me to Hornby, who were (sadly) no help!

Edited by G-BOAF

Hello

I think you have the answer - if you cannot find it on the net it probably is not available from Hornby.

Are parts for more recent models easy to get? Had a brainwave while lying in bed with the flu to replace the bogie frames on a Bachmann 158 with Hornby Mk3 DVT ones.

Had a look online but can't find them.

The other places you can check are the web sites belonging to Peters Spares, AC Models and Lendons of Cardiff.

Good hunting

Ray

• 1 month later...

Interesting take on the issue of lack of Hornby body-related spares. The comments section could easily be from RMWEB!

Why oh why can't Hornby produce some spares. If they are worried about cost tied up in inventory,  how about supply the minimal i.e. painted bodyshells with details left on sprue for customer to fit to rebuild a complete shell. If the detail is left off, the labour cost is much lower, and the costs in static stock much reduced (look at cost of railroad A4 vs full detailed version)

The complete lack of spares to correct either manufacturing errors, or errors by the end user is very very sad, and actually a mark against Hornby on the 'quality' scale. Batch of 1000 locos, 10 spare body shells for each, 1%!!!

Interesting take on the issue of lack of Hornby body-related spares. The comments section could easily be from RMWEB!

Why oh why can't Hornby produce some spares. If they are worried about cost tied up in inventory,  how about supply the minimal i.e. painted bodyshells with details left on sprue for customer to fit to rebuild a complete shell. If the detail is left off, the labour cost is much lower, and the costs in static stock much reduced (look at cost of railroad A4 vs full detailed version)

The complete lack of spares to correct either manufacturing errors, or errors by the end user is very very sad, and actually a mark against Hornby on the 'quality' scale. Batch of 1000 locos, 10 spare body shells for each, 1%!!!

I am very sorry about your accident & completely agree with your comments about Hornby, your analogy with car companies & would feel exactly the same if it happened to me.

However, not criticising your attempts to repair your 'accident', I think it may be a warning to other modellers.  As one of the 'old school' of modellers & engineers may I suggest that using modern time-saving electric tools like drills/burrs is probably asking for trouble.  Any mods I want to make to expensive locos I try to do it all with hand tools for the reason of your problem.  I use my Dremel tools as a last resort.  It may take a lot longer but is a lot safer!  As you said in your video, "It only took a nano second for it to happen when the drill/burr jammed & jumped into the side of the tender!"

Peter

I am very sorry about your accident & completely agree with your comments about Hornby, your analogy with car companies & would feel exactly the same if it happened to me.

However, not criticising your attempts to repair your 'accident', I think it may be a warning to other modellers.  As one of the 'old school' of modellers & engineers may I suggest that using modern time-saving electric tools like drills/burrs is probably asking for trouble.  Any mods I want to make to expensive locos I try to do it all with hand tools for the reason of your problem.  I use my Dremel tools as a last resort.  It may take a lot longer but is a lot safer!  As you said in your video, "It only took a nano second for it to happen when the drill/burr jammed & jumped into the side of the tender!"

Peter

just to clarify, this is NOT ME!!! I'm simply posting on something I've found, with a similar spares frustration as my own Britannia report above.

I would never have the courage/risk-taking to use power tools on models (the nearest I've got is drilling buffer beam holes for screw links with a pin chuck! Nor would I rant for quite that long :-o

Edited by G-BOAF
  • Like 1