The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Canadian Holiday

The Lurker

Next year I reach a milestone birthday, you know, one of those ones with a zero at the end of it.

I fancy a family holiday to Canada, involving a train trip through the Rockies. When I was young, we did Vancouver – Toronto, and I was thinking of reproducing this. I had my 8th birthday at Niagara Falls, and if we do the cross Canada trip, I would want to build this into the trip

An alternative would be to look at one of the tours through the Rockies that go out to places like Jasper and Banff.

I’ll be with my wife and my boys who will be 15 and 8, none of whom are rail enthusiasts but who seem to quite like the idea of sleeping on the train. We’d need a cabin for 4.

I am not sure whether the guided tours would really be the thing for the boys – or for the other guests. Are children common on those sort of tours.

Of necessity the trip will be high season; school holidays – and the date of my birthday.

Has anyone got any experience of the trips, recommendations, pitfalls to avoid etc?

Any and all comments gratefully received.

• RMweb Gold

The Via rail Canadian Vancouver to Toronto goes through Jasper but not Banff. You can book directly through Via Rail. It is expensive in the sleeper and in high summer they operate two classes of sleeper with only the higher class giving access to the dome car at the rear. Only runs three times a week now. Winnipeg station is still downtown but Edmonton has moved out of town since we did it.

The other way is the Rocky Mountanier but that's even more expensive .However it does go via Banff. It has its own station not to far from the Via rail one in Vancouver.

Ther are two services a day from Vancouver to Seattle run by Amtrak.

You do now need to fill in an on line visa form for Canada called an ETA and the USA one an ESTA

Plenty to do in Vancouver area though and the public transport there is very good including to and from the airport.

Ian

We did the Rocky Mountaneer train tour several years ago, all trains originate at Vancouver and travel to Kamloops, where the train is split, 1st portion goes to Calgary via Banff, 2nd portion goes to Jasper. We did the tour in September, and weather was great heading to Kamloops, we took the Jasper portion, and then a bus to Banff and picked the train up back to Vancouver. Overall very scenic, but we were on the train for 10 hours each day, so not sure if this tour would be the best for your family, as their is a strict timetable from train to hotel and back to train, and not much time to explore. I would suggest taking the train from Toronto to Vancouver, and taking your time along the way, to stop at your leisure and enjoy the sights. 

I would suggest taking in Niagara Falls prior to starting your trip from Toronto to Vancouver, as that area alone could easily take a few days, take the time to visit Niagara on The Lake, a lovely small town, good shopping and very scenic, there is also the whirlpool jets which start at Niagara on the Lake and go up the river to the whirlpool, fantastic ride and a lot of fun.

Hope this helps

• RMweb Gold

It's a long time since we did Niagra but I am sure the kids would love it especially doing the tour behind the falls etc. There is just one train a day now operated by Amtrak to New York stopping at Niagra Canada then Niagra USA now that Via rail withdrew their service form Toronto to Niagra

• RMweb Gold

I have only been to the bit of Alberta from Calgary, Banff and Jasper. It was Easter and temperatures varied a lot. I realise that you are restricted to term time but we were recommended to go back to Banff and Jasper in September due to absence of schoolchildren and blackfly! It was too cold for flies while we were there.

We did see lots of freight trains at Jasper an they were preparing the locos for the Rocky Mountaineer but it wasn't running at that time. Our son Matthew travelled back across Canada but he flew from Calgary to Toronto as he wasn't very interested in wheat production, and the bus took forever.

We used a company called Canadian Affair. They booked everything. They have a brochure but Aditi would ask is such and such a place available that she had found on the Internet and they booked it, including Matthew joining us for some days. They use Air Transat out of Gatwick for Calgary but there are other things possible.

We will return to Canada one day, cross the Rockies on the train and then go on a cruise. Not sure when though.

• RMweb Premium

In September I will be flying to Toronto and the travelling East to Halifax and from there all the way to Vancouver. I picked the dates for travel and 1st Class Holidays did the rest, including tweeking it a bit.

www.1stclassholidays.com

Tel 0161 877 0432.

After my intial phone call, a very nice lady called Andrea did the rest, I believe she sorts the Canadian holidays out.

• RMweb Gold

The Rocky Mountaineer is very expensive but very good. We have just said good bye to some friends from England who flew into Calgary and combined a coach tour with the train trip before spending a few days with us. They thought the whole trip was brilliant and were very impressed with the Rocky Mountaineer.

We have some more friends coming in September and we are flying out to Calgary to meet them and there we will hire a car and the four of us will drive back to Vancouver staying at Banff, Jasper and Lake Louise. Perhaps not quite as spectacular as the rail journey but much less expensive and of course far more flexible. We will come back to Vancouver via the Okanagan which is the centre of the BC wine industry and very attractive. The rail trip overnights at Kamloops which is rather less attractive!

When planning your trip you should bear in mind that you can easily spend a week or more just in Vancouver with side trips to Whistler and Victoria on Vancouver Island. Vancouver is a brilliant city......but then I am a bit prejuduced.

Whatever you decide I hope you have a great holiday

I would break the trip somewhere adjacent the Rockies where camper van (RV) hire is available, and take a drive into a BIG wild piece of country for a week or so. Find out why Canadians working in the London area think they can drive to the Alps for a weekend of skiing, leaving Friday lunchtime and returning for Monday lunchtime.

...Vancouver is a brilliant city......but then I am a bit prejudiced...

That's not prejudice, that's how it is. A joy to visit and a top contender on my list of 'where I would happily relocate to'.

• RMweb Premium

Niagara on the Lake is lovely but Niagara Falls was one of the biggest disappointments of my life. The falls themselves are magnificent it is true but they sit in front of a tawdry and vulgar town which is quite awful, sort of like a down market Blackpool. The Niagara escarpment is a beautiful area, I used to spend quite a bit of time in Burlington and there is lots of nice country as you go up to the escarpment.

We are using Westjet to and from Gatwick this year, out to St Johns then Toronto. Back direct from Winnipeg.

Will be interesting to see how they perform.

Hope you have plenty of spare time, Westjet out of Gatwick have not been on time once since they started flying to Calgary last month. Some days there have been 5 hour delays. Much as I don't like Air Canada I think that's who we will be flying with again next time.

• RMweb Premium

AFAIK Rocky Mountaineer does not have sleepers; you are put up in a Hotel for the night.

Many of the bits of Canada are not conveniently accessible by public transport. Are you prepared to drive?

The transcontinental service is increased to 3 times a week in summer.

Quite a lot of Niagara Falls is still scenic although the town is set up to separate you from your money. Your children should enjoy some of the lesser bits. The falls themselves are more than a walk from the railway station, but there is a bus thing that takes people around.

This place might appeal to your boys. It's not too far from the Canadian border. I've gone from near there to Galcier National Park/ Waterton Lakes and back in a day (also well worth a visit if you have the time.)

There is also the Hiawatha bike trail along the old Milwaukee Road railroad. It's a gentle downhill ride.

If you are driving, mind how you go with the road atlases in the US. The Western states are drawn to a much smaller scale than the more heavily populated Eastern states.

If you are driving, mind how you go with the road atlases in the US. The Western states are drawn to a much smaller scale than the more heavily populated Eastern states.

Yeah, but there are far fewer roads to fit in!

• RMweb Premium

Somewhere that is well worth taking a look at is the Spiral Tunnels on the CP route near Field. There are 2 spiral Tunnels, for which you need a car to get to and a bit of time.

http://www.mcor-nmra.org/Publications/Articles/CP_Rails_Spiral_Tunnels.pdf

As can be seen on the map, the viewing platform is closer to the lower spiral. So much so, that when a east bound train passes directly below you, after having been through the viewable lower tunnel, most none railway enthusiasts, go back to their cars & miss the same train coming back from the upper tunnel behind you!

Well worth it & I think your not really interested family will be impressed.

• RMweb Gold

We were there in 3 ft of snow, officially the lay you was closed but my mate 'slid into it' so we had a recovery stop ;) the trees are getting in the way a bit nowadays but it's still impressive.

Rockies? Seen one mountain and you've seen them all. Have you ever considered the Maritimes? A bit down market but you'll get more bang for your buck. When you've done with Nova Scotia and Cape Breton - Newfoundland awaits! Seriously, do have a great time in the Rockies, they are indeed a magnificent place to visit.. However, in my opinion for children you really can't beat the Colorado Rockies. So many things to do, so many places to visit..

• RMweb Premium

For interest, the Canadian transcontinental coaches are about contemporary with BR Mk 1. They are in the midst of their second rebuild (every 30 years or so), and on their third (at least) set of locomotives.

Archived