Kernow MRC announce 4-TC

Andy Y

In a bit of a boredom moment I had another look at the photos Andy put in the original post of the sample model. I am a little concerned about the use of moulded on handrails for the cab front and also for the driver's door (and the passenger doors too). Am I the only one who feels that now that 'we're paying' a somewhat higher, nearer European level price for stock, that these kinds of details should be a bit better than moulded on?

As they're a flattened handrail I think they're better represented by a moulding than a separate wire handrail which will always look like what it is.

• RMweb Premium

A separate plastic handrail would work for a flattened one. I certainly wouldn't want it to be a round wire type. If Hornby could do it for the VEP, it seems surprising Bachmann couldn't do it for the TC. I'm now worried I'll have to choose to take a scalpel to a new commissioned £300 model just to get the handrail detail to a decent level, then have to do a complete repaint and lining :(

Edited by Ian J.

A separate plastic handrail would work for a flattened one. I certainly wouldn't want it to be a round wire type. If Hornby could do it for the VEP, it seems surprising Bachmann couldn't do it for the TC. I'm now worried I'll have to choose to take a scalpel to a new commissioned £300 model just to get the handrail detail to a decent level, then have to do a complete repaint and lining :(

Thanks for noticing this, which I'd missed, however this is a route that Bachmann are going down, in reducing the level of added on coach detail, as we've seen with the ep for the Thompson coaches, which seem to have all moulded handrails, where previously the guards/luggage door handrails on coaches tended to be added. With the 4TC the cab doors also have moulded handrails. There is much added on other detail, so surprised they have gone this route for something that will be so noticeable, particularly the white handrails on blue body. Bachmann are able to deceive the eye normally, with their round profile moulded handrails, as the mouldings they achieve are very fine, close to the coach body, with very accurate painting, however these thicker handrails will be impossible to achieve a similar effect. As you say, the flattened handrails could have been moulded in plastic, Heljan did it as well with their Class 128 door handrails which had plastic moulded flattened profile, with moulded spigots to locate in the body side. The top to bottom width also seems to be greater than the prototype, and that's while its in one colour.

• RMweb Premium

Actually grifffgriff of this parish noticed them first back in this post: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/111962-kernow-mrc-announce-4-tc/page-8&do=findComment&comment=2343005 ; what I did today was take a closer look at them, then across the bodysides too and noticed both the passenger and additionally the driver and guard door handrails were moulded.

It might be possible that the side handrails look kind of okay once we see a painted version, although I'm sceptical about that thought. But the end handrail is really quite noticeable as there in no way the yellow behind could be visible, nor could a shadow from the handrail fall onto the cab front, something that is, to me at least, quite noticeable in the photos of 4TCs.

Edited by Ian J.

I notice there's a gap in the product codes, with 32-645Z being left available. Future variant perhaps?

Regards,

Matt

Bit disappointing about the lack of separate handrail on the cab front. If you look at the publicity photos used by Kernow, the shadow of the handrail is quite noticeable on the prototypes. This is the "face" of the unit, and to my mind is just as off-putting as having moulded smokebox darts on the front of a steam loco.

For those asking why they have not yet been refunded, Kernow have had a lot of orders to deal with for 4-TCs and other things. Because people were ordering them doesn't mean the ordinary orders stopped or customers stopped visiting in person. There was a lot more work to do than normal for them.

Not forgetting this in only an engineering sample not the finished product. I reckon the raised moulding will end up painted. Even at that height they are still a scale 2 inches or so off the body side, which sounds about right to me... From viewing distances that wouldn't be all that noticeable.

Forgive me Odin, but I'm a bit confused by your posting, are you saying that a 73/0 has an EMU jumper, whilst a 73/1 has a multi jumper?

As a simpleton, what's the difference please?

the 73/0 has an extra jumper, one for 27 way unit operation, and one for loco multi working. the 73/0 were only able to work in multi with another 73/0 loco and were not compatible with other locos

For those asking why they have not yet been refunded, Kernow have had a lot of orders to deal with for 4-TCs and other things. Because people were ordering them doesn't mean the ordinary orders stopped or customers stopped visiting in person. There was a lot more work to do than normal for them.

Good for them. Sounds like it's selling well.

As for moulded hand rail - who gives a monkies. Screenshots look good, they have captured the face of the unit perfectly and it's a lot better than I could do with a kit.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm happy with a moulded handrail.  A separately-applied one could have cost somewhat more and the gain per Pound not value for money in everyone's eyes. The "face" is perfectly captured and so much better than the Hornby Vep which was allegedly scanned.  Bachmann has their pedigree with the Cep to back them up and the TC looks as though it will be every bit as good.  OK the Cep has separate hand rails but have you seen the price for the next batch? And that's not a new commission but a well-saturated market using a written-down tool ;)

Anyone who wanted to know what it was like to travel in REPs and TCs should have tried to get to the buffet while going through Eastleigh station at speed. All I can say is that you needed the sea legs of an old sea dog :D

I was ok with it, joining and leaving my ship once a week,up and down to London,

I like the model very much, but, won't be buying, can't justify it running through Dover Priory. Sadly.

• RMweb Premium

here 73004 with a TC (caption on picture is wrong) whether it pushed when it got to the other end of its trip i don't know, but its a start https://www.flickr.com/photos/the-evanses/11237549576

The different coloured roof on the FK in that 4TC might be an indication that it was a 3TC recently augmented to 4TC.

• RMweb Premium

The different coloured roof on the FK in that 4TC might be an indication that it was a 3TC recently augmented to 4TC.

Negative.  The unit is all-blue.  The date is 1967.  This is a new 4TC which may have had its FK added slightly later than when the rest of the unit was formed.  We already know from previous posts that 301-3 were repainted b/g before augmentation.

the 73/0 has an extra jumper, one for 27 way unit operation, and one for loco multi working. the 73/0 were only able to work in multi with another 73/0 loco and were not compatible with other locos

As you say 47606Odin, the 73/0 had two sets of jumper cables whereas the 73/1s had but one.  I had understood that a 73/0 could control a 73/1 but not vice-versa.  Unfortunately I cannot recall my source and am happy to be corrected if mistaken.

Think I'll be getting the RTC version, I am a sucker for that livery :) 

Anyone know what would pull it?   

Also I assume that this could not be made up due to the electrical connections. http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/54991/32-646Z-Bachmann-Class-438-4-TC-Unit-number-8007-BR-Research  What are the NSE coaches inbetween though? They look like MK1s. 

Think I'll be getting the RTC version, I am a sucker for that livery :)

Anyone know what would pull it?   

Also I assume that this could not be made up due to the electrical connections. http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/54991/32-646Z-Bachmann-Class-438-4-TC-Unit-number-8007-BR-Research  What are the NSE coaches inbetween though? They look like MK1s. 

It was hauled by 73205 (always leading) and 83301 formerly 33115. These locos were permanently coupled. The extra NSE coaches came later in the trains testing cycle, so 4 car is ok for the beginning.

post-1373-0-38933900-1466713478_thumb.jpg

post-1373-0-69242100-1466713492_thumb.jpg

Photos at Chart Leacon open days.

Cheers.

• Like 2

In post 182 I asked If I was to order a 32-646Z Bachmann Class 438 unit number 8007 in BR Research red and blue livery​, what do I get

A 4 coach  set in BR Research red and blue livery

or 2 coaches in BR Research red and blue livery & 2 coaches in Network SouthEast livery

or the 6 coach set as illustrated

The answer I got answered the questions I had asked but not the question I hadn't asked

​Lyddrail in post 297 answered the question I hadn't asked when he said "The extra NSE coaches came later in the trains testing cycle, so 4 car is ok for the beginning." .

Only a few weeks ago I didn't know what a 4-TC was, when I saw the production model being towed by a class 33 I wondered why an EMU was being towed by a loco

Now my knowledge of the 4-TC has gone from 0% to a point where I can make up a train with a Class33+4-TC & know it will be an fairly accurate representation of the prototype thanks to all the modellers who have given there time on this forum. 

Thanks

John

• Like 2

In post 182 I asked If I was to order a 32-646Z Bachmann Class 438 unit number 8007 in BR Research red and blue livery​, what do I get

A 4 coach  set in BR Research red and blue livery

or 2 coaches in BR Research red and blue livery & 2 coaches in Network SouthEast livery

or the 6 coach set as illustrated

The answer I got answered the questions I had asked but not the question I hadn't asked

​Lyddrail in post 297 answered the question I hadn't asked when he said "The extra NSE coaches came later in the trains testing cycle, so 4 car is ok for the beginning." .

Only a few weeks ago I didn't know what a 4-TC was, when I saw the production model being towed by a class 33 I wondered why an EMU was being towed by a loco

Now my knowledge of the 4-TC has gone from 0% to a point where I can make up a train with a Class33+4-TC & know it will be an fairly accurate representation of the prototype thanks to all the modellers who have given there time on this forum. 

Thanks

John

Glad to be of help.

Just found these pics by the late Barrie Swann, showing some unusual formations at Tonbridge.

post-1373-0-14255100-1466766844_thumb.jpg

47971 hauling the set with the 4TC. Another view below.

post-1373-0-33130600-1466766864_thumb.jpg

post-1373-0-55497200-1466766887_thumb.jpg

Above is an MLV on the back of another working with 73205 at the front.

Cheers.

• Like 7