Kernow MRC announce 4-TC

Andy Y

Hi everyone,

I have just been sent this photo from my aunt that shows 33113 on the Push Pull tour. Her husband was a signalman on the southern until retirement over 10 years ago but he sadly passed away last year. He worked in several boxes over the years such as Wool, Wareham, Poole, Branksome and I wondered if anyone can help work out the location this was taken.

Thanks

Mark

post-6863-0-13245500-1466770266_thumb.jpeg

• Like 2

I was on the Push Pull rail tour which also went to Furzebrook sidings.  It looks like Kernow models has been surprised about the number of orders for the 4-TC sets. They visited the Swanage branch in both blue and blue and grey liveries. I prefer the blue and grey livery. There are some pictures of 4TC units on pages 96 to 98 of Swanage Branch in Colour by Andrew P M Wright.

• RMweb Premium

Bournemouth West depot

More accurately, between the depot and Branksome Station. That would either have been on that railtour (which I was on), or during an open day for the depot in the same year (?) when the headboard was used while a 33/1 & TC were being used as a shuttle between Bournemouth (Central) and the depot.

• Like 1

More accurately, between the depot and Branksome Station. That would either have been on that railtour (which I was on), or during an open day for the depot in the same year (?) when the headboard was used while a 33/1 & TC were being used as a shuttle between Bournemouth (Central) and the depot.

I wondered that too, but the depot open day was in April '88 which did use 33113, however I recall the weather being fine that day and those tree's in the background suggest winter.

• RMweb Premium

I wondered that too, but the depot open day was in April '88 which did use 33113, however I recall the weather being fine that day and those tree's in the background suggest winter.

33102 was used on the actual railtour, so it's more likely to be the depot open day. April could very well have had trees without leaves.

• RMweb Gold

A question for those of you with the knowledge of these units .It seems that they did not run in Rail Blue for very long before a repaint into blue/grey. Can anyone give me approximate dates ? Many thanks.

SEMG states "When first introduced the TCs appeared in overall rail blue livery with small yellow warning panels and small aluminium BR arrows affixed below their side cab windows. The yellow warning panels were subsequently enlarged to cover the whole cab front. They were repainted during the early 1970s into Blue and Grey, losing their aluminium arrows in the process, the 1974 conversions emerging in blue and grey livery from new. The TCs survived in service long enough to receive Network SouthEast livery."

Taken from: http://www.semgonline.com/gallery/class438_1.html

Hope that helps.

Roy

A question for those of you with the knowledge of these units .It seems that they did not run in Rail Blue for very long before a repaint into blue/grey. Can anyone give me approximate dates ? Many thanks.

www.BloodandCustard.com has a comprehensive section giving information for both REP & TC units including paint dates. It has unit 407 painted into Blue/Grey in January 1968 - so approximately 6 months after the end of steam and the last was unit 424 painted Blue/Grey in November 1970 so over 3 years after the end of SR steam - quite a wide time band.

Another unlikely spot for a 4TC to turn up was at Staines West, GWR branch line terminus. True, it was only about 200yds from SR third rail territory but it had in fact come in from West Drayton, there being no connection to the SR at that time. It had a 33 at the rear and (from memory) may have been an 8-car formation. (CJL)

PS. Have now checked - it was October 16 1976. I have a feeling it was actually a nine-car formation with a refreshment car between the two 4TC units. 

post-1062-0-10510000-1467227349_thumb.jpeg

Edited by dibber25
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

With the buffet car in between units, it would have been RMB S1872 or S1873 - these had the necessary high-level air pipes and control jumpers

In the early 70s, it could have been RB S1758 or 1759 (also with pipes/jumpers), but there's no mention of them in the 1976 Sec. Appendix - I don't know if they were withdrawn/reallocated?

• RMweb Premium

With the buffet car in between units, it would have been RMB S1872 or S1873 - these had the necessary high-level air pipes and control jumpers

In the early 70s, it could have been RB S1758 or 1759 (also with pipes/jumpers), but there's no mention of them in the 1976 Sec. Appendix - I don't know if they were withdrawn/reallocated?

http://www.semgonline.com/proto/BRSCarriages1_5.pdf

Quite a hefty but a very worthwhile document which records a good deal of SR Mk1 history.

S1758 was reallocated to the LMR in December 1977 and sold 30/10/88 to Mayer Newman, Snailwell.  S1759 was withdrawn 15/01/75 after the 8Vab was disbanded; it was not re-used and on 14/06/77 was sold to Vic Berry, Leicester.  Both disposals were to scrap merchants.  

S1872 remained on the SR until January 1987 when it was withdrawn.  It was sold in 1988 to the Nene Valley Railway but was recorded still at Old Oak Common 07/06/89. As of June 2005 it was stored out of use on the NVR.

S1873 was withdrawn and went to Old oak Common with S1872 then was sold to the Bodmin & Wenford Railway in 1988 where it runs regularly to this day including occasionally behind SR class 09 and 33 locos.

Another unlikely spot for a 4TC to turn up was at Staines West,

A case in point of a special working running as 1Z94 (headcode 94) which was often assigned to charters on, or which ran over, the SWD of the SR.  

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that Gwiwer, completely forgot about the 8VAB having an RB in it.

As mentioned the link you provided S1759 wasn't used further as the buffer heads had been removed.

Regarding the RBs used on the Bournemouth line, 1759 used in the 8VAB had the ETH jumpers replaced by EMU power jumpers and a control jumper both fitted at headstock level to match the VEP cars and to allow this, as previously noted, the buffers were removed. High level brake connections were not reguired as brake pipes between cars in a set are also on the headstock.

I suspect that the electrical mods caused the demise of this vehicle when the VAB was disbanded. Replacing buffer units would have been a simple operation, 4 bolts per unit, provided that you remembered where you put them when they were removed.

1758 was a much simpler mod , a length of 27way control cable run from one end to the other ,using the route of the removed steam pipe and fixed to the body end at waist high. I don't recall high level air pipes but recall seeing extension hoses used.

This vehicle could only be used between units or next to the loco. I recall an incident when a shunter forgot the control jumper when splitting a train resulting in a very long jumper at one end and nowt at the other!

The RMB now at Bodmin is used as an exhibition vehicle and is not operational and bears little evidence of it's EMU use.

Regarding the livery question, l cannot recall any units in blue with full yellow ends. I think they went straight from blue SYP to blue grey, anyone got evidence of this?

Chris

That will be the resurrected 8001 that was reintroduced for the Kenny Belle. Perhaps it was on its way from Bournemouth to Clapham?

Still looking for a photo to see if a Dutch one was seen with an NSE TC.

Hi Jon

Good news. If you search www.petertandy.co.uk - Class 33 there is a picture of 33118 plus a 4TC in NSE from 1990. It is 5th from the bottom.

On my phone so can't get it to link directly but you should find it fairly easily I hope.

Also on the page is a 33/1+4TC+5TCB Wool - Birmingham New St troop train from 1988.

Regards

Phil

Edited by Phil R
  • Like 2