Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Kernow MRC announce 4-TC

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks for those photos, I've got one on order, now I've the proof to run it on my North West layout.

Not sure how I'll justify a 74 pulling it though!

Rule One applies!

Many thanks for those photos, I've got one on order, now I've the proof to run it on my North West layout.

Not sure how I'll justify a 74 pulling it though!

On test from Crewe works after conversion to test compatibility with SR EMU's - they used a 4-TC because there would be no clearance issues relating to shoegear ................ how's that for a concocted back story ??

• Like 1

Sound option, the same as any other SR EMU, just no traction motor sounds, so EP compressor, horn, brakes... but not much else....

Remember the compressor would only work with class 71, 33/1, or REP. They would not work with any other class of loco. Similarly, the EP brake would only work with the push-pull locos or compatible EMU stock, the loco would otherwise run "unbraked" in EP mode. IIRC drivers instructions were to use the auto air brake when not being worked with a push-pull mode.

Remember too the TCs worked through to New Street many times, sometimes in push-pull mode which upset the staff at New Street as they didn't have run-round facilities. Southern drivers would say "don't worry, I'll just change ends" and disappear the way they'd just come.

Remember the compressor would only work with class 71, 33/1, or REP. They would not work with any other class of loco. Similarly, the EP brake would only work with the push-pull locos or compatible EMU stock, the loco would otherwise run "unbraked" in EP mode. IIRC drivers instructions were to use the auto air brake when not being worked with a push-pull mode.

Hi Roy: I think that should be class 74, 33/1, etc., not class 71. Typo? :)

• RMweb Premium

Agree with Jeff here.  A 4TC (and of course a 3TC) could work push-pull with a class 74 "large" electro-diesel but could only be hauled by a class 71 electric as though it were loose-coupled stock.  

Agree with Jeff here.  A 4TC (and of course a 3TC) could work push-pull with a class 74 "large" electro-diesel but could only be hauled by a class 71 electric as though it were loose-coupled stock.  

Not quite loose coupled but continuous air braked.

Could the compressor also work with a VEP?

• RMweb Premium

Could the compressor also work with a VEP?

It should be possible.  The 8Vab unit 8001 was comprised of Vep stock and was intended to run with a 4TC unit in lieu of the usual Rep+TC+TC formation while more units were converted.

• Like 1

"Compatible" EMUs would technically include just about any of the EPB stock, including EPB, CEP, BEP, CIG, BIG, VEP, REP AND MLVs (and any of their ilk I have missed). In practice, because the TCs were unpowered, none of the above except the REPs would run, because the power to weight ratio would not be sufficient to keep time. The exception to that was the specially formed 8VAB unit Rick mentioned, which had three VEP MBS vehicles in its formation, and therefore had sufficient traction motors to cope not only with its own 8-car formation but also one unpowered TC. It also had a specially through-wired buffet car in its formation so that it matched the catering facilities of the REPs (of which there weren't sufficient numbers at that time).

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I'm spending a few hours at the New Milton show and visited the Kernow stand, shock, horror, I've just walked away with the Research Centre 4 TC !

According to their website these are not available until October. What other 4TCs have they got in stock?

I do not need a 4TC, I do not need a 4TC, I do not need a 4TC, I do not need a 4TC......

Oh, yes, you do!

According to their website these are not available until October. What other 4TCs have they got in stock? Oh, yes, you do!

They had a couple of research 4 TC's available for sale and one driving coach of the Blue & Grey TC for viewing and handling.

• RMweb Gold

Having bought a complete unpainted 4TC set off Chris at the Taunton meeting back in April I am seriously thinking of trying to paint it to match the LT version that is at present being used on the Swanage-Wareham shuttles. It will be interesting to see if Kernow/Bachmann come to an arrangement with the LT Museum to do a professional job of the livery at some future date.

http://www.carlswatson.com/Trains/Galleries%202017/Galleries%20201706/20170630ArlingtonEastleighWorks/class4914tc762977116370823and76324eastleighworks30thjune2017.html

It would make an interesting conversion, and certainly more attractive than the false teak livery it had before entering Eastleigh Works.

all the best

Godfrey

• RMweb Premium

According to their website these are not available until October. What other 4TCs have they got in stock? Oh, yes, you do!

Kernow made mention of the fact that they had an advance batch of production models arrive by air when then main batch is coming by sea. These would probably be used as in-store promotion and review sets but there could have been one or two sets not so assigned so why not sell them?

Having bought a complete unpainted 4TC set off Chris at the Taunton meeting back in April I am seriously thinking of trying to paint it to match the LT version that is at present being used on the Swanage-Wareham shuttles. It will be interesting to see if Kernow/Bachmann come to an arrangement with the LT Museum to do a professional job of the livery at some future date.

http://www.carlswatson.com/Trains/Galleries%202017/Galleries%20201706/20170630ArlingtonEastleighWorks/class4914tc762977116370823and76324eastleighworks30thjune2017.html

It would make an interesting conversion, and certainly more attractive than the false teak livery it had before entering Eastleigh Works.

all the best

Godfrey

Good to see it being cared for - not rotting to pieces like the 4-SUB

• RMweb Gold

It really is a shame that the 4-Sub has not been kept under cover like the 2-Bil at NRM Shildon and cared for a little bit better.

The one at the ERM in Coventry? It is in better condition than some of the other items there, but probably there lacks the resources to repaint it, like some of the other stock has recently. The HAP and tyneside EPB certainly look a bit worse in places than the 4SUB, but the SUB could certainly be better. Hopefully a new home can be found for all thos items when the ERM closes come October (yet to find a new home).

It really is a shame that the 4-Sub has not been kept under cover like the 2-Bil at NRM Shildon and cared for a little bit better.

There isn't sadly funds or room for every item to be kept under cover, and the NRM have tended to show a bit of disinterest in anything non-steam over the years, so some of their items have been left to rot around the country.

It should be possible.  The 8Vab unit 8001 was comprised of Vep stock and was intended to run with a 4TC unit in lieu of the usual Rep+TC+TC formation while more units were converted.

The compressor on a 4TC required an ets supply which could only come from a locomotive or a REP.  The VAB had no ets connections.

"Compatible" EMUs would technically include just about any of the EPB stock, including EPB, CEP, BEP, CIG, BIG, VEP, REP AND MLVs (and any of their ilk I have missed). In practice, because the TCs were unpowered, none of the above except the REPs would run, because the power to weight ratio would not be sufficient to keep time. The exception to that was the specially formed 8VAB unit Rick mentioned, which had three VEP MBS vehicles in its formation, and therefore had sufficient traction motors to cope not only with its own 8-car formation but also one unpowered TC. It also had a specially through-wired buffet car in its formation so that it matched the catering facilities of the REPs (of which there weren't sufficient numbers at that time).

As above - a TC attached to the VAB would only have emergency lights and no heat due to no ets.

When being propelled by a 33/1 the TC had to use the auto air brake as the 33/1s didn't have EP brakes.