Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Kernow MRC announce 4-TC

Andy Y

The 8 VAB did run with TC units - just what extra arrangements it had I don't know, but it could, and did, run with a TC attached. The buffet car was a locomotive hauled one adapted with through cabling for the EMU controls, so it is quite possible other extra supplies were also arranged for the unit as a whole.

http://www.semgonline.com/proto/8vab.html

Edit: Further information on this at Class 480 - 8-VAB - apparently a class 33 was added to the formation to provide the ETH requirements when working the 8 VAB with a TC.

1q (sorry - this was typed by a kitten seeking attention!) :D

Edited by SRman

• RMweb Premium

Having bought a complete unpainted 4TC set off Chris at the Taunton meeting back in April I am seriously thinking of trying to paint it to match the LT version that is at present being used on the Swanage-Wareham shuttles. It will be interesting to see if Kernow/Bachmann come to an arrangement with the LT Museum to do a professional job of the livery at some future date.

http://www.carlswatson.com/Trains/Galleries%202017/Galleries%20201706/20170630ArlingtonEastleighWorks/class4914tc762977116370823and76324eastleighworks30thjune2017.html

It would make an interesting conversion, and certainly more attractive than the false teak livery it had before entering Eastleigh Works.

all the best

Godfrey

Wow that looks amazing.

• RMweb Premium

Just to back up Jeff's comment above I will confirm firstly that the 8 Vab unit was formed for the purpose of and was intended to run with a 4TC unit and secondly that on one of the occasions I saw it there was most definitely a 4TC attached at the rear what ever jiggery pokery or shennanigans might have been required to achieve that. The only other time I saw it the formation was even less standard being just the 5-car portion of 8001 running with a 3TC and a Vep.

Blue 4TC model paid for. Wondering if I have space to also accommodate a b/g one. It's that or a Bep but not both.

• Like 1

Having been very fortunate to purchase the Research Department 4 TC recently at the New Milton show I'm waiting with fingers crossed that SLW release class 24 97201 ' Experimental ' later in the year, it is leading in the voting to date and I'm very hopeful.

I'm interested in seeing how popular the model turns out to be. I have an NSE one on order. If I were to get a 2nd one it would be the blue/grey one with NSE flashes.

I can see the research one being the least popular version (due to its limited use) and perhaps the 'modern' blue version.

• RMweb Gold

I'm interested in seeing how popular the model turns out to be. I have an NSE one on order. If I were to get a 2nd one it would be the blue/grey one with NSE flashes.

If the model turns out to be very popular, what are the chances of a 4REP to accompany it?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I can see the research one being the least popular version (due to its limited use) and perhaps the 'modern' blue version.

It might be the least use, but it's probably the widest travelled, and easily most noticeable, so it could "wander into" a wide variety of off piste layout locations.

• RMweb Gold

I suspect by 1994 the RTC was on the skids due to imminent privatisation. Indeed, I think Dr George Buckley, brought in to head up Central Services - aka Rag, Tag and Bobtail, due to including just about everything in BR that wasn't TOC, or BRIS, or going to Railtrack - had already tired of the shape that privatisation was now taking and left.

• RMweb Gold

Think Wikipedia is wrong here... the eurostars were here by then.

This page suggests 1989/90 to 1994 which sounds more like I recall:

http://kentrail.org.uk/international_services_test_train.htm

You are quite right, although Wikipedia wasn't where I got the date from. I must have been really tired to not spot the error as I travelled on Eurostar for work pretty much as soon as the service started.

Roy

• RMweb Gold

Seeing it in the HM has finally convinced SWMBO to let me pre-order a Blue / Grey one....

• RMweb Premium

Did 47/7s work with 4TCs ?

Anything can haul a 4TC as though it were a semi-permanent rake of four coaches.  Might need some extension air pipes though.

Did 47/7s work with 4TCs ?

I haven't seen 47701 in revised NSE done before since the days of Lima, is this a new ltd edition ?

Turbots, seacows in new liveries and Barbels there too. Not sure if these are already released?