Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Jo Cox MP dies after attack

Tim Dubya

• RMweb Gold

Unbelievable, whilst I may or may not agree with her politics, she doesn't deserve this. It will be interesting to see how the story develops when it comes to the who (beyond the general description) and why.

Lets hope the medical teams get her sorted and on the road to recovery as soon as.

The latest news confirms her death; what a terrible day for democracy.

Maybe those who habitually sneer about MPs will accept many are good people who work for their constituents.

Bring back the death penalty I say it might have made this piece of shite think twice about his actions.

From what I know about Jo Cox. I think she'd have been the last person to support the death penalty.

She was clearly a very fine person and a loss to all of us. To quote her own maiden speech ""We are far more united & have far more in common with each other than things that divide us"

This is a very sad day. RIP

My condolences to the friends and family of Jo Cox.  This is truly awful.

Elected representatives meeting their constituents shouldn't be fraught with danger or an act of personal heroism. That endangers democracy.

I hope this event is unrelated, but polarization is the scourge of modern politics. This sad event reminds me of the 2011 shooting of nineteen people including Rep. Gabrielle Giffords at a "Congress on your Corner" event in her district in Tucson, AZ. Six people died and Rep Giffords ultimately survived, but not without enormous changes to her health and well-being.  

The 'cause' was attributed to mental instability of the shooter, but the polarized political climate around the 2010 midterm elections may have had an impact. 

In March 2010, Giffords had expressed concern about the use of crosshairs on a national midterm election map on Sarah Palin's campaign webpage denoting targeted congressional seats, including Giffords's, in Arizona's 8th district. Shortly after the map's posting and the subsequent vandalizing of her office that month, Giffords said, "We're in Sarah Palin's 'targeted' list, but the thing is that the way she has it depicted, we're in the crosshairs of a gun sight over our district. When people do that, they've got to realize that there are consequences to that action."

I hope this incident was not precipitated, like the 2011 Tucson event may have been, by polarizing political histrionics in the media.

• RMweb Premium

RIP. Very sad and my thoughts go to her immediate family. Two young children (3 and 5, I understand) should not lose a parent, let alone their mother, like this or in any other way.

• RMweb Gold

There seems to be some confusion about exactly what happened but that will no doubt be cleared as the police sort the statements and evidence.  But what is very clear is that, for whatever reason, she was fatally wounded while simply doing her job - a sad day for democracy whether the perpetrator was simply evil or mentally ill.

Birstall is a small quite market town on the outskirts of Leeds, this has deeply shocked and stunned the local community. I'm sure I can speak for many in wishing her family and friends our deepest thoughts.

R.I.P JO

By the time I heard the update on Radio 2 at 5.0pm it was clear from the newsreader's tone that it was known she hadn't made it, although the actual bulletin described her condition as critical.  When the 6.0 bulletin updated the news and the tribute from her husband was broadcast, I could see other drivers visibly shocked and upset, me included.  

This is one of those terrible, needless losses of life that tends to affect all who hear it.  I hope the justice system falls with all its might on the bastard who took this beautiful person from her loved ones.

Archived