Stoke Courtenay

checkrail

There was one of those wonderfully detailed articles that were a speciality of the late and much lamented GWRJ on the Aberayron branch some years ago. During the inter war years, a couple of 4 wheel coaches were parked at the terminus for many years. However, no one could ever remember them turning a wheel. Again, the Wild Swan book on the Looe branch records that there were two B sets in use, but also another 2 "singletons", both non corridor brake 3rds. They were there to be added to service trains should any random (Japanese or other) tourists suddenly appear out of the blue. Passengers to Looe were fairly thin on the ground outside of the tourist season (particularly Japanese!), so whether these coaches were stationed there permanently or only during the summer is moot. 

Going off topic slightly, odd singletons were not uncommon on other branch lines. A brake compo was allocated to the Bodmin branch and used on only one service each day (presumably for school children), between Bodmin Road and the terminus, a distance of what is (I think) less than 3 miles! Source is again GWRJ, this time the Special Cornish Issue!

David C 

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2

5 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Related, and perhaps might help answer that question, where did strengtheners come from?

B sets were often/usually allocated to the specific branch but could you justify having 1 or 2 spare coaches sat there permanently but only used infrequently, or did they run them down from the nearest carriage sidings for busy days?

Edit: actually was use of strengtheners ad hoc, eg when a bus load of Japanese tourists arrived at Brent, or scheduled, eg an extra coach every Saturday?

The spare coaches certainly were kept at specific locations for use when required.  The Carriage Working Programmes show where spare coaches were to be kept and also specified the class of vehicle that was to be used - 3rd, Bk Compo, etc.  For example, the Bridport Branch had a two train service provided by two B sets. The CWP instructed that a spare coach was to be kept at Maiden Newton and photos sometimes show it in the 'Bridport Siding' by the signal box.  There may also have been a spare at Bridport but I'm not sure about that and my copy of the CWP is not to hand at the moment.  My CWP is for Summer 1947 and the spare coaches may only have been for the duration of the Summer timetable - I can check later if anyone really wants to know.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Gold

@Bulwell Hall is far too modest to note that he is the author of the Wild Swan books on both the Looe and Bridport branches, and should therefore be considered as something of an authority.

• Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, David C said:

Again, the Wild Swan book on the Looe branch records that there were two B sets in use, but also another 2 "singletons", both non corridor brake 3rds. They were there to be added to service trains should any random (Japanese or other) tourists suddenly appear out of the blue. Passengers to Looe were fairly thin on the ground outside of the tourist season (particularly Japanese!), so whether these coaches were stationed there permanently or only during the summer is moot. 

Probably my favourite book!

Several shots in there of trains that don't actually feature the B sets but are made up of one of the spare brake 3rds and a couple of corridor types.

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, AlfaZagato said:

How wild is the variety?

Well, in addition to strengheners and through coaches I'd say siphons for starters but I guess it could include parcel vans, fish wagons, horse boxes and anything else that might need moving down or up a branch line to or from somewhere in the wider world. Milk tankers? Looking back during the last half hour for some of the pictures that inspired me I found:

• Bulldog on Taunton - Barnstaple Jct train, 1936. Clerestory compo. + B set + Van Compo through coach (Paddington - Ilfracombe. (Yarwood, 'Window on the Great Western', p41)
  • 45XX at minehead, 1936. Four coach train - B set with strengthener at both ends, one being 'an aging clerestory third'. (Great Western Pictorial No. 2: The Hubback Collection, p59.)
  • 51xx with train in carriage siding at Taunton, 1932, described as 'stock for a local train'. Formation includes 2 x 6-wheel Siphon, B set, plus one other coach, possibly a Collett third. (As above, p78)

John C.

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, checkrail said:

Well, in addition to strengheners and through coaches I'd say siphons for starters but I guess it could include parcel vans, fish wagons, horse boxes and anything else that might need moving down or up a branch line to or from somewhere in the wider world.

Just about any type of NPCCS (brown vehicles) in fact!

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, checkrail said:

Well, in addition to strengheners and through coaches I'd say siphons for starters but I guess it could include parcel vans, fish wagons, horse boxes and anything else that might need moving down or up a branch line to or from somewhere in the wider world. Milk tankers? Looking back during the last half hour for some of the pictures that inspired me I found:

• Bulldog on Taunton - Barnstaple Jct train, 1936. Clerestory compo. + B set + Van Compo through coach (Paddington - Ilfracombe. (Yarwood, 'Window on the Great Western', p41)
  • 45XX at minehead, 1936. Four coach train - B set with strengthener at both ends, one being 'an aging clerestory third'. (Great Western Pictorial No. 2: The Hubback Collection, p59.)
  • 51xx with train in carriage siding at Taunton, 1932, described as 'stock for a local train'. Formation includes 2 x 6-wheel Siphon, B set, plus one other coach, possibly a Collett third. (As above, p78)

John C.

Thx John,

most useful input for my purposes as well. Have just been delving thru my archives pulling together ideas for train composition on UH.

Colin

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

Milk, horses and passengers.

bulldog-milk-acton-small.jpg.3ff52ff64f1969bfad3a4ee00b9f4e48.jpg

It looks as if it is carrying a "local passenger" headlamp ..... Just the one below the chimney?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Coach bogie said:

Typical 1930's Bristol Weymouth stopper with vans front and back of the passenger stock. Horse, fish, milk all in one local train.

Great pic Mike. Thanks.

Expect to see more pics on here of trains with sundry vans attached!

• Like 11
  • Round of applause 1

It's certainly given me some ideas to justify the motley collection of stock I've got!

I like the idea of mixed trains, it will keep operating the branch interesting.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

I think that's Castle 100 A1 Lloyds on a running-in turn. (BTM to Swindon?)

Yes, you can just make out the numbers on the buffer beam and the cast cab side plate is bigger than usual.

The train looks like a B set and a van. (Perhaps a stores van) I’m guessing.

• Like 5

On 27/01/2024 at 23:45, Coach bogie said:

Typical 1930's Bristol Weymouth stopper with vans front and back of the passenger stock. Horse, fish, milk all in one local train. I model several of these trains based on images. When collecting images of this route there are not many trains that do not include non passenger vehicles. Note leading brake third - toplight without the toplights

Mike Wiltshire

Apologies for quality. I only have a low res here. Original back in Yorkshire.

3335bathamton1936(b).jpg.a251a09deb5e08b1398f7c6cdb6507a0.jpg

Hi guys, I'm a little late for this one and I don't know if it has already been mentioned, but I was reading up on horse traffic the other day. Horse boxes when loaded were coupled behind the locomotive. When empty, they could be attached anywhere on the train.

Makes shunting a little more interesting.

Rob.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 6