Stoke Courtenay

checkrail

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Graham T said:

I notice you've used different coloured grasses either side of the railway boundary.  Why is that please?

I took a rather lazy 'broad brush' approach to the scenics, and used Noch 'Meadow Mat' from Gaugemaster for grassland beyond the railway fence.  I think it gives a good impression of lush spring or summer meadow grass, and if it's good enough for Tony Wright .... !    At first I tried this on the railway cuttings and embankments too but it didn't look right - it needed to be a bit rougher and coarser.  So, after an abortive experiment with hanging basket liner (it was like the Day of the Triffids),  I invested in a  World War Scenics static grass applicator and an assortment of 'grass' fibres.  I'm pleased with the results which echo the change of shade and texture i've often noted in real life situations and photos.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Gold

Another fan here of the WWS applicator and fibres. Easy to use and apply with a good range of colours. Decent people to deal with as well should you need to contact them. 

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

Thanks both.  I also bought a WWS applicator (in fact I also bought one of the micro ones as well), and have a growing range of coloured grasses to choose from.  As mentioned elsewhere, it can get a touch addictive!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Graham T said:

Lovely photos, as ever.  I've been meaning to ask - I notice you've used different coloured grasses either side of the railway boundary.  Why is that please?

In the period that Stoke Courtenay is set, the permanent way gangs kept plant growth under tight control within the boundary fence. They could win prizes for the best kept length of track. So, the growth within the fence would usually look different to that outside.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

I also bought a WWS grass applicator. Never used one before, but it couldn't be easier. The grass inside the railway boundary on my layout is different to show that it is scythed down regularly rather than munched by sheep.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

I'm not sure the GWR did that sort of thing.

8 hours ago, bgman said:

We'll never know Miss P ! 

They never went to Stoke Courtenay either so who's to know?????

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, checkrail said:

Next pic shows the sides alongside the newly carved-up bodyshell.  I always find my heart's in my mouth when using the slitting disc on this sort of job... There's a fine balance between taking off so much of the old plastic that the new sides won't stick on, and leaving plastic in the way of glazing, droplights etc.   

I removed pretty well everything above the waistline when I did mine. Made glazing easier too.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

John, my admiration for those door hinges on the Comet etches.

I'm beginning to get in to coach building and have a parcels train project for the winter but I'm stopping short of the door hinges. I know they should be there but in one way or another I'm sure to make a right Horlicks of them. No hinges will look better than rubbish hinges!

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, TrevorP1 said:

John, my admiration for those door hinges on the Comet etches.

I'm beginning to get in to coach building and have a parcels train project for the winter but I'm stopping short of the door hinges. I know they should be there but in one way or another I'm sure to make a right Horlicks of them. No hinges will look better than rubbish hinges!

You have my sympathy Trevor. I decided against adding any on the Centenary carriage project…. On the basis that from a normal viewing distance you won’t know. Plus I decided I wouldn’t tell anyone :-)

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, checkrail said:

Well, I was really pleased with the crisp separation I got between the cream and the brown, with no bleed whatsoever, especially as the waist height door hinges got in the way of the masking tape.  However  .....  I've made a right horlicks of the brown paint and ended up with the dreaded 'orange peel' finish, so it's back to the drawing board, or maybe back to Wizard for some new Comet sides.

P1060833.JPG.a7be57ba256eb78fe98d375b2b3f4465.JPG

I decided to go back to Halford's Peugot Cafe Noir for this one, and used the remains of the spray can I already had.  Bad idea.  I should have bought a new one.  This one's been in the loft since 2018, boiling every summer and freezing every winter!  Don't think it did the paint or the nozzle much good.

John C.

Hi John, Can you put the sides into a bath of Isopropyl to strip off the paint and start again? 

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

It would be really cool if you could do that with a brown Peugeot too :D. John, I’ve just had a fail with a Humbrol rattle can, but an airbrush (and paraphernalia) is not on my crimbo list just yet.  Mind you my layout coaches won’t stand scrutiny like yours!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Hi John, Can you put the sides into a bath of Isopropyl to strip off the paint and start again? 

I need to do the same with the two sunshine stock coaches that were ruined by the varnish, though my sides were glued on (and the card corridor connectors added) so need to see how easy it is to brake the bond

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

I need to do the same with the two sunshine stock coaches that were ruined by the varnish, though my sides were glued on (and the card corridor connectors added) so need to see how easy it is to brake the bond

Morning Rich, how effective would the Isopropyl be? And how long would it need to be soaked for? 

I’ve heard it’s possible, but never tried it! Thanks

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Morning Rich, how effective would the Isopropyl be? And how long would it need to be soaked for? 

I’ve heard it’s possible, but never tried it! Thanks

Ideally you want the high purity stuff (90% or so). However I have got by with something like 75% purity.

I stripped a set of mk 1 sides recently which were left in for a couple of hours, the Dean Goods took about the same.  Though in the case of the latter it had a couple of scrubs with an old toothbrush during that time.  

with brass, I’d probably just leave it over night given there’s no risk to the underlying model.  For my sunshine brake I will prob do  this, however for the compo where I won’t be able to remove the sides so easily it will need more care.

IPA is also good at removing superglue, so worth being careful when cleaning if you’ve glued anything to the sides.   (It also doesn’t impact plastic glazing, so it can be ideal for stripping down a RTR coach body where Hornby used too much glue)

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 9

On 03/11/2020 at 18:32, Welchester said:

Surely it would have been the Company Police in these days.

Yes.

Or, it could have been MoD Plod, proceeding in an orderly manner, with their on-going inquiries into the whereabouts of CPO Pertwee. Last seen on Milton Quay station, but rumoured to have been seen with "Fatso Johnson" in this vicinity. HMS Troutbridge is on a courtesy visit to Salcombe.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2