RMweb

For those who like Aircraft pictures

DDolfelin

On 21/01/2023 at 16:59, BMacdermott said:

It is the North Easterly holding point (what some call 'stack') for Heathrow. I should have put an 'e' on the end (viz Lambourne).

Ah, thank you! 😀

That's cleared my confusion.

I was worried that it was over this Lambourn and in 30 years I'd never noticed it.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I think this either the de-Havilland Dragon or the de-Havilland Dragonfly this is a older photo , taken at Shoreham the year before the fateful crash , which left many dead

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

What is this one? I do not recognize it. It is quite an interesting design.

DH89 Dragon Rapide; designed pre WW2 as an airliner, used during WW2 as a trainer and communications, under the name 'Dominé. There was one that did pleasure flights out of Duxford; a somewhat 'rustic' machine', with the passengers being weighed before boarding, and allocated to their seats by the crew.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

DH89 Dragon Rapide; designed pre WW2 as an airliner, used during WW2 as a trainer and communications, under the name 'Dominé. There was one that did pleasure flights out of Duxford; a somewhat 'rustic' machine', with the passengers being weighed before boarding, and allocated to their seats by the crew.

I had a flight in one of the Dragon family over 25 years ago, as part of my 40th birthday present, with Air Atlantique at Coventry. Due to my bulk I sat up front, so I had a great view over the Warwickshire countryside - what fun!

Edit: I'm sure it was this one:

https://www.planelogger.com/Aircraft/Registration/G-AIDL/895940

Edited by St Enodoc
more info
  • Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
On 24/01/2023 at 10:31, The Pilotman said:

Yes, but in aviation, as well as on the railways, old habits die hard. 

Ahh, indeed.  In my organisation I am just about the oldest, so I totally recognise that comment.  Although as Head of Training I am probably more self aware of having to get things right than most pilots.

An RNP approach now has to be flown by a crew at every 6 monthly simulator trip, so I would have thought "most" would have had the proper RT beaten into them by now.  😉😅

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I had a flight in one of the Dragon family over 25 years ago, as part of my 40th birthday present, with Air Atlantique at Coventry. Due to my bulk I sat up front, so I had a great view over the Warwickshire countryside - what fun!

Had a 40 minute flight over Auckland, NZ, in this Dragon, flying out of Dairy Flat back in 2000........

r00-131.JPG.d4ecc927394956764103a39febda8b0e.JPG

r00-148.JPG.b38b7593d6c2646c4aa1d730bd27bfa3.JPG

Was remarkably cheap to have a flight in it as well - about £12 from memory, rather less than they charge you at the likes of Duxford!

In fact, all the flights on historic aircraft in NZ were fairly low prices, though whether that is still the case I don't know, not having been back there since...

• Like 7

16 hours ago, PenrithBeacon said:

From wikipedia:-

DH 90A G-AEDU (c/n 7526) has been registered in the United Kingdom since 1992, now owned by Shipping and Airlines at Biggin Hill as part of its Historic Aircraft Collection and previously owned by the Norman Aeroplane Trust.[

• Informative/Useful 2

An interesting concept...

image.png.af9ff59ccba76e1738c1d686a8beaa9f.png

Boeing's Truss-Braced-Wing Jet Concept Could Replace 737 Max By 2030

NASA explained the TTBW concept plane has extra-long, thin wings stabilized by diagonal struts. This design allows for less aerodynamic drag than a traditional airliner -- resulting in less fuel consumption. 

https://www.zerohedge.com/technology/boeings-truss-braced-wing-jet-concept-could-replace-737-max-2030

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, duncan said:

Given that NASA is a federal agency, is this not a USA government subsidy to Boeing ?

That's always a good hand grenade to lob into certain aviation enthusiast groups..... Both Airbus and Boeing are very adept at leveraging state funded research and accessing discount finance, taking advantage of financial incentives etc, all while accusing the other of being subsidized and objecting to such nefarious competition. Or maybe I'm just a cynic.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

I'd like to see the figures on the drag , adding an extra surface increases it of course but i guess it works .

Boeing got caught napping when Airbus brought out the 320Neo and responded with the disastrous 737Max mongrel , desperately trying to eek more life out the 1960s 737 .

Lets hope they are going up the right path with this ugly thing 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

A while ago blended wing designs were being promoted as the future of air transport.  The disadvantage is the difficulty of increasing or decreasing the size compared to regular cigar tube design.....  Presumably the TTBW would still allow this.

• Like 1

On 26/01/2023 at 00:45, St Enodoc said:

That was the first aircraft I flew in, aged 8. A pleasure flight from Sywell. I sat at the back. 

• Like 1

is it a bird? Is it a plane?

Interesting Mil-Int insight into all kinds of traffic. Then that Chinese balloon that's got them all agitated. It's reported to be flying at about 19,000 feet metres. Whereas "our" balloons fly at 80,000 ~ 90,000 feet.

Edited by KeithMacdonald
height correction
  • Like 1

More re those balloons.

Some quite hilarious hysteria from some parts of the US MSM

How very dare they fly a balloon over the USA.

As at least one US military historian has quietly pointed-out, we were doing that 60 years ago…
https://www.historynet.com/balloon-spies/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Genetrix

Maybe there’s some irony that China has copied the idea but is now doing it better?

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

More re those balloons.

Some quite hilarious hysteria from some parts of the US MSM

How very dare they fly a balloon over the USA.

As at least one US military historian has quietly pointed-out, we were doing that 60 years ago…
https://www.historynet.com/balloon-spies/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Genetrix

Maybe there’s some irony that China has copied the idea but is now doing it better?

I think that much of the excitement was that reports, over here at least, suggested that the balloon was some form of dirigible rather than passive.