The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those who like Aircraft pictures

DDolfelin

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

One I'd like to have seen again was the final BEA livery, with the stylised Union flag on the tail. Very 70s.

A stunning livery. Known, I believe, as the SpeedJack.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Martino said:

A stunning livery. Known, I believe, as the SpeedJack.

Wasn’t that when BEA merged (taken over!) by BA back then?

BA tried to make the BEA logo more inline with the BA brand, I still lament the passing of the “Red Square” tail.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

One I'd like to have seen again was the final BEA livery, with the stylised Union flag on the tail. Very 70s.

That livery was unveiled in 1968 and applied to aircraft, starting from 1969.

Very 60's not really 70's, I would have thought?

4 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Wasn’t that when BEA merged (taken over!) by BA back then?

BA tried to make the BEA logo more inline with the BA brand, I still lament the passing of the “Red Square” tail.

No, the first BA livery from the merger in 1974, was the Negus livery.

The 1960's red square livery, was superseded by the final BEA livery, referred to as either  "Speedjack" or "Quarter Jack".

This was unveiled in late 1968 and started to appear on BEA aircraft from 1969, although it wasn't until later in 1970 and onwards where it was applied across the whole fleet.

Following the merger, the "BEA" titles were temporarily changed to "British Airways", until aircraft went in turn, for maintenance and a repaint into the Negus livery.

bc3a116279089658f3221f8236b436d3-800.jpg

1334711-large.jpg

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

That livery was unveiled in 1968 and applied to aircraft, starting from 1969.

No, the first BA livery from the merger in 1974, was the Negus livery.

The 1960's red square livery, was superseded by the final BEA livery, referred to as either  "Speedjack" or "Quarter Jack".

This was unveiled in late 1968 and started to appear on BEA aircraft from 1969, although it wasn't until later in 1970 and onwards where it was applied across the whole fleet.

Following the merger, the "BEA" titles were temporarily changed to "British Airways", until aircraft went in turn, for maintenance and a repaint into the Negus livery.

bc3a116279089658f3221f8236b436d3-800.jpg

1334711-large.jpg

Still don’t like it though 🤣

Last night whilst trolling on YouTube I came across a film of the 1953 Farnborough air show (just one year after the DH110 crash there).  I was amazed at the number of British military jets that were flying at that time, just eight years after WW2.  Javelin, Swift, Hunter, Sea Vixen, all three V Bombers; and still doing sonic booms over the airfield!

Edited by Jeff Smith

52 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

Still don’t like it though 🤣

In retrospect, neither do I.

It's rather sombre and bland.

Looked worst on their Comets and personally, I didn't think it suited the Viscounts at all.

1176751475.jpg

4076.jpg

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

I do wonder if the interest in retro liveries is a PR thing to make people imagine the more romanticised image of flying versus the truly de-humanised system we have now?

Of course it is…..

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

I do wonder if the interest in retro liveries is a PR thing to make people imagine the more romanticised image of flying versus the truly de-humanised system we have now?

There is an element of an image of longevity.  An attempt to differentiate trusted, long established brands with a history; as opposed to the “new boys”, the low-cost operators and a more brash style of marketing imagery.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Jeff Smith said:

Last night whilst trolling on YouTube I came across a film of the 1953 Farnborough air show (just one year after the DH110 crash there).  I was amazed at the number of British military jets that were flying at that time, just eight years after WW2.  Javelin, Swift, Hunter, Sea Vixen, all three V Bombers; and still doing sonic booms over the airfield!

My Mum took me to Biggin Hill air show, it must have been in 1968/69 as the Beagle (Pup) was being shown as new, and I remember that was the last time I ever saw/heard an aircraft break the sound barrier, it was a display by a BAC Lightening and it sticks in my mind the sight of this aircraft, first a small dot coming closer and then low level right along the runway completely silent until it past and there was an almighty BANG and then the roar, it was amazing.

No idea why they didn’t allow that anymore……pardon? 😆

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

I only got to see Lightnings at Manchester Airport, no breaking the sound barrier, but they did go vertical above the runway after coming in low a couple of times.

Them were the days, a Saturday planespotting, walking right above the aircraft, nice little covered viewing area and loads of mates to chat to.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

Seeing all the retro liveries rang a bell in my mind about an ATC query for Heathrow that I have from the early 70s.

In relation to approaches to (what were) 28L & 28R, does my memory serve me correctly that some pilots - instead of reporting 'passing the outer marker' - used the term 'over the flats' (some blocks of flats that were/are near Chiswick flyover)?

I'm not even certain if the outer marker was at/near the flats! 

Brian

22 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

I only got to see Lightnings at Manchester Airport, no breaking the sound barrier, but they did go vertical above the runway after coming in low a couple of times.

Them were the days, a Saturday planespotting, walking right above the aircraft, nice little covered viewing area and loads of mates to chat to.

My misspent early teenage years involved spending all day on many Saturdays, spotting at Manchester Airport, complete with my BEA bag containing a flask of coffee, my Salmon paste sandwiches, an apple and some sort of snack or chocolate bar.

I can vaguely remember on many occasions, being huddled up in my anorak in the covered section, feeling cold and slightly miserable, knowing I was there until my Dad picked me up at 6pm, on his way home from work. Only the prospect of more interesting planes arriving kept me going.

Summer weather was a treat though. Many happy memories of school holidays spent on the end of the international pier (as was).

I never saw any Lightnings at Manchester, as military fighter jets were a total rarity.

I don’t recall any Lightnings turning up at the annual Woodford air show either, but I might have forgotten.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

I remember seeing a Lightning flying at Biggin Hill airshow in the 70's. I also remember the Shackleton having a disagreement with them that it was not a Lancaster plus the big queue to leave the airshow that put me off doing such shows.

Our visit was by bus…..a LT Bus on a special trip, I think it went from Victoria Stn.

All I remember is we left in the dark and got home in the dark 😆

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, woodenhead said:

I was able to visit RAF Binbrook in the late 70s, and from the control tower, watched two Lightnings take off, and watched the two balls of flame as they climbed very quickly.  The take off was at dusk, so it helped with the sighting.

Adrian

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

9 hours ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

My memories of it are from the early 70s, hence my comment.

• RMweb Premium

Going back to the BEA SpeedJack livery, I liked it and thought it conveyed the sprit of Britain in the latter part of the Swinging Sixties and in preparation for the ‘70s.  I think it was designed for the Tridents and subsequent aircraft like the Lockheed L1011.  The Viscounts and Comets were obviously not long for the fleet.  The 1-11s (I don’t think) carried the SpeedJack as many of the fleet were reserved for the German domestic routes and (again from what I understood at the time) it was felt having a Union Jack on the tail may be insensitive.

The BOAC Gold Speedbird livery was designed for the VC-10 and 707 fleets.  It worked well with the 747 but I think it may have had to have been modified for Concorde as there may have been too much blue for the heat issues.

Retro liveries are certainly marketing ‘ideas’ but there is a lot of pressure from enthusiasts to apply them.  In the days of mergers and rebranding it allows airlines to show a link to their history.

• Like 2

Fairly random shot at Manchester Airport in 1999......

r99-51.JPG.e8fffb2843fcae493c2f40f0d16bcabb.JPG

That's the only photo I've ever taken there, which was on a day I "did" the rail line into the place.  Was taken there to watch planes once in the 1960's though - not that I can remember much about it - and did fly out of there once in the early 2000's to Chicago with BMI.

• Like 4

Nice picture - I had interviews with all three of those british charter outfits and ended up with Air 2 bob as it was known .

Of course flying colours became JMC and then thomas cook,

Air2000 became first choice airways , then merged with britannia to become todays Tui 

• Like 2

On 08/11/2022 at 07:19, woodenhead said:

Not even that much depth to it.

Companies just want to maintain their rights to old trademarks/logos, since these rights expire after a certain period of disuse.