Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

For those who like Aircraft pictures

DDolfelin

Capt. Eric 'Winkle' Brown on the first Mosquito carrier deck landing.

Mosquito landing speed? 125mph

Mosquito stalling speed? 110mph

Maximum speed at deck arrestor gear? 83mph

Eric? No problem.

Edited by KeithMacdonald
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

17 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

Sounds serious - it'll depend on the cost and severity of the repairs I guess , but the FAA telling them to fly their aircraft to where they'll be grounded is ominous 

Looking at one of the US Preservation Forums, the problem seems to be the spar extension pieces tather than the spars themselves and the comment was made that these things haven't been manufactured since WW2.

What the cost would be to start producing them again and whether you would have to get someone like Boeing to actually verify their use in airframes is another matter.....

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 18/04/2023 at 08:01, Johann Marsbar said:

Looking at one of the US Preservation Forums, the problem seems to be the spar extension pieces tather than the spars themselves and the comment was made that these things haven't been manufactured since WW2.

What the cost would be to start producing them again and whether you would have to get someone like Boeing to actually verify their use in airframes is another matter.....

expensive ! i rembber the hassle with the support for the vulcan 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 18/04/2023 at 07:21, burgundy said:

If I recall correctly, the BBMF Lancaster had to have its main spar replaced on the early 1990s. 

Best wishes 

Eric 

It did, with a spare spar leftover from a Shackleton I believe. The B-17 issue is more complex sadly. Hopefully there's a solution available. Elly Sallingboe (B-17 Preservation Ltd) is confident that Sally B won't be affected due to intensive maintenance the aircraft receives annually and the gentle flying programme.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

BBC News article

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-65334390

Air India, IndiGo: New record as 456,000 Indians take flights in a day ~ India's domestic air traffic has hit a record high, with 456,082 passengers flying on a single day. The milestone, which was reached on 30 April, came as 2,978 flights took off across the country. "The skyrocketing domestic passenger traffic post Covid is a reflection of India's high growth," aviation minister Jyotiraditya Scindia tweeted. India's post-pandemic economic recovery has spurred a travel boom. More than 37.5m passengers were carried by domestic airlines in just the first three months of 2023. This marked a 51.7% growth compared to a year ago, data from the country's Directorate General of Civil Aviation showed.

Perhaps fueled (sic) by cheap Russian oil?

"There was no growth for two years during Covid. What we are witnessing now is a snowballing of that pent-up demand," Mark Martin, an aviation analyst, told the BBC. There has also been a significant increase in the number of first-time flyers since the pandemic, according to Mr Martin. He added that air traffic in India has typically been growing at twice the pace of the country's GDP (Gross Domestic Product), as disposable incomes rise in Asia's third largest economy.

India overtook the UK in the leagues tables a while ago. The Beeb then misses the crucial point completely.

But despite the healthy recovery, the industry continues to suffer due to a number of issues, including higher aviation turbine fuel prices, a depreciating rupee against the US dollar and stranded planes.

That "higher aviation turbine fuel prices" may be true for the UK and EC (as sanctions hurt us more than Russia). But it's not true for India. It doesn't need to buy aviation fuel with dollars any more. As an active member of BRIICCS, it's committed to a rapid de-dollerisation. And it's doing very nicely thank you as it resells Russian oil to the UK, and we pretend it's not Russian oil any more.

• Informative/Useful 2

It is a shame that airliners are so similar and boring.  I live about 20 miles north of Tampa and almost all aircraft are wing mounted twins.  If they are off to the side I can usually make out the carrier but the only way to tell a B737 from an A320 is either the airline (Southwest only fly B737s) or the wing sweep, less on Airbus aircraft.  Even with the larger aircraft it is also difficult to tell a Boeing from an Airbus.....  There don't seem to be any B717s or ERJs or CRJs.  I do see the odd business jet though!

The best fly past was a B1, B2 and B52 in formation for some special military event in Tampa a couple of years ago!

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Smith said:

It is a shame that airliners are so similar and boring.  I live about 20 miles north of Tampa and almost all aircraft are wing mounted twins.  If they are off to the side I can usually make out the carrier but the only way to tell a B737 from an A320 is either the airline (Southwest only fly B737s) or the wing sweep, less on Airbus aircraft.  Even with the larger aircraft it is also difficult to tell a Boeing from an Airbus.....  There don't seem to be any B717s or ERJs or CRJs.  I do see the odd business jet though!

The best fly past was a B1, B2 and B52 in formation for some special military event in Tampa a couple of years ago!

Come on Jeff, you’re not trying …;)

737 has winglets as a rule , A320 has them little both way sharklets. 737 FD has windows over the top , Airbus doesn’t , there’s a lot of ways to mark them out, Od say they were easy to differentiate .

A350 and 787 is a lot harder, they look very similar - designed by same “ design me an efficient twin “ computer programme.

B717 is a dead duck. That mongrel was foisted on Boeing by their takeover of McD , it never sold well. As for the ERJs etc, I thought they were still popular stateside ? They were super trendy in the early 2000s, but suddenly they didn’t make any money and got ditched for things like ATRs and Dash8s over here .

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Brighty1674 said:

Really nice to see what I call an old plane, not many of these about now that’s for sure……just the job……

Yes there's something about pre-war De Havilland aeroplanes.  G-ADNE apparently lives at Oaksey Park and you can buy a share if you like (unless someone else has by now).

58 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

Come on Jeff, you’re not trying …;)

737 has winglets as a rule , A320 has them little both way sharklets. 737 FD has windows over the top , Airbus doesn’t , there’s a lot of ways to mark them out, Od say they were easy to differentiate .

A350 and 787 is a lot harder, they look very similar - designed by same “ design me an efficient twin “ computer programme.

B717 is a dead duck. That mongrel was foisted on Boeing by their takeover of McD , it never sold well. As for the ERJs etc, I thought they were still popular stateside ? They were super trendy in the early 2000s, but suddenly they didn’t make any money and got ditched for things like ATRs and Dash8s over here .

Hard to see the the winglets from underneath but I take your point.  Delta has most of the remaining B717s but apparently not used to Tampa.  Yes, still quite a few ERJs and CRJs in use but again not often to Tampa.  Hubs like Atlanta (Delta) have plenty of the regional jets for flights to small cities - Tampa is neither a hub nor a small city!

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Jeff Smith said:

That was the flypast for Super Bowl LV in 2021 (Won by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers!)

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Jeff Smith said:

It is a shame that airliners are so similar and boring.  I live about 20 miles north of Tampa and almost all aircraft are wing mounted twins.  If they are off to the side I can usually make out the carrier but the only way to tell a B737 from an A320 is

A320’s wing strobes double flash, Boeing 73’s are single. Using that you could tell what was pointing straight at you down the approach.

• Informative/Useful 1